The dreaded sunroof rattle?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002 | 08:55 PM
Racer

The dreaded sunroof rattle?!?!?

Okay, well I've had this horrible rattle/squeek for about 3 weeks now and I could not pin point where it was coming from. But today I linked it to the sunroof. Can anyone elaborate on the "magic tape or sunroof tape" that I have heard about from this board? Where do they put it?? I really need to get this fixed....it is driving me nuts
Old 04-21-2002 | 09:02 PM
'Cooter

there's a service bulletin out on this...the service guys put the tape in the middle of the rubber trim around the front of the sunroof...no charge to u...get it done next service visit if u're patient enough
Old 04-21-2002 | 09:06 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Scooter
there's a service bulletin out on this...the service guys put the tape in the middle of the rubber trim around the front of the sunroof...no charge to u...get it done next service visit if u're patient enough
And does it actually work? When I was in for my last oil change they told me that they had a bulletin on the sunroof and did something to it, even though I didn't say anything about it. I've looked at the sunroof but haven't noticed where any tape would have been applied. I'm getting my oil changed this week so I will mention it. Hopefully they haven't used this tape yet and will be able to correct it. Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-21-2002 | 09:10 PM
'Cooter

it worked for me, but i've developed another rattle somewhere since

some dealerships have used an alternative to the tape...i believe it's a lube of some sort...i don't quite remember the specifics, but your service guys may have used that instead of the tape.
Old 04-21-2002 | 09:21 PM
Banned

The sunroof is the LEAST dreaded rattle. Before the TSB, some dealers were just lubing the rubber. That fixed it for a while but out course it came back. The proper fix is to stick the magic tape to the metal frame of the sunroof. I had mine done over a year and a half ago and the rattle hasn't returned. Wish I could say the same about the rest of the rattles.
Old 04-22-2002 | 10:16 AM
Racer

I, too, had this problem and took it in 3 times to get it fixed. I changed dealers for the 3rd time and they finally did it correctly.

The original dealer told me that they installed some sort of wedge. This worked, for about a month (each time).

After the new dealer installed the Accord sunroof tape, the sunroof has been quiet!

Make sure you mention that this solution is the Accord Sunroof Tape. If you have the sunroof open you can see a faint white line aroung the perimeter of the opening (on the metal)--thats how you know its there.
Old 04-22-2002 | 11:21 AM
Racer

Originally posted by sundance_gold
I, too, had this problem and took it in 3 times to get it fixed. I changed dealers for the 3rd time and they finally did it correctly.

The original dealer told me that they installed some sort of wedge. This worked, for about a month (each time).

After the new dealer installed the Accord sunroof tape, the sunroof has been quiet!

Make sure you mention that this solution is the Accord Sunroof Tape. If you have the sunroof open you can see a faint white line aroung the perimeter of the opening (on the metal)--thats how you know its there.
Awesome....thank you very much. I don't think it is there so hopefully when i bring it in this week they will be able to take care of this.