Don't take those turns too quickly...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 07:51 PM
Ace rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't take those turns too quickly...

On my way back from lunch, I saw a cop car pulled over to the side (this is near milpitas, off 237E Zanker Rd.) and that exit is FUN at around 60mph! Anyway, as I was looping around the cop car, trying to not make my tire squeal, the cop and a guy were looking off the road to the right. When I looked, there was a red Porsche 911 in the ditch on it's side almost and facing the other direction! The guy must have took the turn too quickly, spun out and flew into the ditch. The driver was alright, he was just talking to the cop trying to explain that one! I couldn't help but laugh though...

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler, V1, PIAA's
Retired: 94 540i

[This message has been edited by Dacat (edited 05-25-2001).]
Old 05-25-2001, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a note:

On-ramps and off-ramps are notorious for being covered with oil, cooland, rubber, and/or all of them.

Some of these ramps that look so inviting in the off hours to speed on, have bumper-to-bumper traffic on them during peak hours. The cars are not all new and perfect cars. In fact, a lot of them are "leakers" -- dripping coolant and oil on to the ramps as they wait (watch the ramps with timing lamps) and off-ramps to busy intersections.

I've nearly slid off a few of these at only 30MPH -- I was lucky.

I had a friend in a Porsche (not the same one), hit an off-ramp at about 50 MPH, and hit some coolant. They did 2 nice spins before whacking their bumper on a guard rail.

BTW -- there is an uphill stretch on Sunset Blvd on the east side of the 405 freeway that can get so slippery before a rain (from all of the stopped traffic dripping goo), that they had to groove the concrete to keep people from sliding backwards in the first rain of the season.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-25-2001, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

This reminds me of the ramp in Atlanta. The I-75 south bound exit to I-85 north bound. Traveling at 70 MPH to have to slow to about 20 - 30 to take it and keep your lane. Too many marks in the hill. There is no longer a guard rail, no reason to keep putting it up every week.
Old 05-29-2001, 02:42 PM
Banned

237 is all screwed up anyway...the lines on the road disappear and go every which way and there are these huge drops in the road!!! CALTRANS SUCKS!!!!

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
Old 05-29-2001, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd bet that Porsche driver's face was as red as his car (from anger and embarrassment).

Speaking of dangerous curves in the Bay Area... How about northbound on Highway 17, just past the summit? That decreasing radius turn is cambered just so that it throws you into median when taken at speed. I used to live in San Jose and work in Scotts Valley (just above Santa Cruz) so I made that commute every day. I have never seen a more accident-prone stretch of highway. Any rain and you're pretty much guaranteed to have an accident waiting for you at that turn. A friend I worked with completely smashed in the front of his Integra there and another co-worker (whom I didn't know) died in an accident on that road. The concrete median used to look like it was covered in graffiti but it was just paint from all the cars that had hit it over time. It's been a few years since I've been on it so I don't know if they've improved the road or not...

------------------
'01 Blk/Blk CL-S, H&R OE Sport springs

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better."
Old 05-29-2001, 07:13 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I take 101 north to 92 to the East bay, that ramp is very dangerous ! I took it too fast and suddenly there was stopped traffic ! It is a blind ramp, so becareful !

------------------
"We're spoiled rotten"
Waiting for 6 speed manual CLS !
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, Comptech Sway Bars, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 05-29-2001, 07:49 PM
Ace rider

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tinman:
I'd bet that Porsche driver's face was as red as his car (from anger and embarrassment).

Speaking of dangerous curves in the Bay Area... How about northbound on Highway 17, just past the summit? That decreasing radius turn is cambered just so that it throws you into median when taken at speed. I used to live in San Jose and work in Scotts Valley (just above Santa Cruz) so I made that commute every day. I have never seen a more accident-prone stretch of highway. Any rain and you're pretty much guaranteed to have an accident waiting for you at that turn. A friend I worked with completely smashed in the front of his Integra there and another co-worker (whom I didn't know) died in an accident on that road. The concrete median used to look like it was covered in graffiti but it was just paint from all the cars that had hit it over time. It's been a few years since I've been on it so I don't know if they've improved the road or not...

</font>
Yeah that's a bad one. Also very bad is the 101 north exit off of 17 N near milpitas. It's a 20-15mph turn, down hill, pretty sharp. It used to have NO signs whatsoever and no median/concrete to stop you from sliding over the hill to the off ramp of 101 !!! Now they have concrete barriers and guess what, the barriers are all f*cked up now because people have already smashed into them. Makes you wonder who designed these roads!

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler, V1, PIAA's
Retired: 94 540i
Old 05-29-2001, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I know that turn. That's after 17 turns into 880. It is a bad one. Not only do you have to immediately slow to a crawl to negotiate the turn, but then you've got to accelerate like mad to prevent a rear-end collision after it throws you back onto 101 N (unless it's changed). It's roads/turns like those where the CL-S shines. I'd hate to be in a little econo-box car trying to get around there.

Another interesting one is the Union exit off 85 S (where I used to live). So many cars have run off the road there that they gave up rebuilding guard rail and sound wall. There's just a big pile of dirt in it's place now.

The DOT should install web cams at these turns so people can check out the action from home!

------------------
'01 Blk/Blk CL-S, H&R OE Sport springs

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better."