Dont cops have something better to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 09:41 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Dont cops have something better to do?

Im driving back to FL from NJ last night when i get pulled by a Maryland Trooper. Im coming out of the toll booth and the cop pulls out and follows me and then decides to pull me over. The two officers approached with hands on guns and told me i wasnt wearing my seatbelt which i was and always do. They see i have it on and then ask if i have weapons or drugs in my car and if they can search it. My windows have a 35 tint on the front so i doubt they could tell if i had my belt on or not. I put both windows down so they could see in and was very polite but they were such dicks to me. They didnt end up searching my car but kept me for a while and gave me a ticket for no seatbelt. I swear they did it just cause im only 18 and was driving a decent car. Any one else have these problems and is there anything i can do about my stupid ticket? Sorry for the long post but im so pissed.
Old 01-08-2001, 09:52 PM
Powered By HONDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know how u feel about the fucking police..my friend told me that police departments need to give out some certain amount of tickets.so they will start to hunt for the poeple who might just a little bit minor against the traffic law at the very first beginning and late of each months..and try to drive carefully at the first and the end of months.i was pull over by not completely stop by the stop sign while there are no other cars on that road..damn

------------------
2001 Acura Red CL Type S.
1997 Honda Civic EX.
!!!! VTEC Power !!!!
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN

typescl@yahoo.com
Old 01-08-2001, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
18 year olds seem to be magnets for the police (seemed that way when I was 18-20).

BTW, there was a police man (I think in Florida [not sure]) that only gave out warnings. He would take the time to explain about why the area was dangerous, etc. He got good compliance.

He got demoted for not meeting his quotas. But, wait, there are no quotas. Well, the police association said, "... without traffic tickets, how can we evaluate him."

So, there are quota's *and* policeman that don't give out enough don't go far.

So, go figure. Anyway, I've heard about the end of the month (being bad for quotas).

Drive safe. If your court system isn't to Nazi, you may be able to take pictures of your car tint (at the time of night). Use the time on the ticket. And make your point with pictures. Sometimes, judges are impressed with good efforts *and* evidence to back up your case.

MHO
Old 01-08-2001, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

It must be the age factor (I'm 31). I got pulled over for running a stop sign, wrong adress on driver's license, etc. All I got was a warning and be more carfull "SIR". My being in a nice car, 31, and well dressed, the police officer "ignored" me. Go figure.

------------------
2001 Taffeta White CL-S
Spoiler,muds,& roof visor
Old 01-08-2001, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

It must be the age factor (I'm 31). I got pulled over for running a stop sign, wrong adress on driver's license, etc. All I got was a warning and be more carfull "SIR". My being in a nice car, 31, and well dressed, the police officer "ignored" me. Go figure.

------------------
2001 Taffeta White CL-S
Old 01-08-2001, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
it is the age factor...i'm 22, i was home last week on vacation driving through bath on rt 248 (it goes from 55mph, to 35mph for 1/2 mile, to 55 for 2 miles, to 45 for 1/2 mile, to 55 again, to 35 again, etc. etc.). we just moved to this "hick" area so i wasn't familiar with the roads (this was my first time on it to go to walmart). i'm in a 55 zone, then i look down at my stereo, look back up, i'm on this big hill, then i see a 35mph sign ahead, so i slow down, then a couple blocks later i'm stopped at the bottom of the hill at a light. i look in my rearview, and there i see flashing blue and reds, so i take a right at the light and pull over.

he pulled me over for doing 53 in a 35. i told him i just moved here, i am home 2 months out of the year at most 'cuz i travel, and i know i was doing 50ish, but i slowed down when i saw the 35 sign. he said there was a sign way back, asked for my info, and in the end gave me a ticket.

i'm 22, no tickets since i started driving at 16, no accidents, and i showed complete respect and admitted that i probably did miss the first one, but it's my first time on the this funky-ass road...GIVE ME A FUCKEN' BREAK ALREADY!

damn fuzz.

Old 01-09-2001, 12:30 AM
Intermediate

Dude, not to sound old, but the same thing happened to me in my "mustang phase". I ran a red light in a V8 mustang 10 years ago, and wham bam thank you mamm - TICKET!!! You could sense the DAMN PUNK attitude. I think it's a jealousy thing. Hang in there and watch those signs. Just imagine if our car wasn't a SLEEPER.

------------------
2001 Taffeta White CL-S
Old 01-09-2001, 01:23 AM
Number 37

I've been real lucky. I have been pulled over 1 time in west texas for doing 78 in a 70 while people passed me doing 100mph. He ran my license, told me to slow down, and let me go.

------------------
Please rear end me in my Accord, so I have to buy a Type-s
Old 01-09-2001, 01:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Same $hit happen to me. well kinda. I was in a empty parkinglot waiting for some of my friends , w/ 2 other people in my car and all of a sudden not one but THREE copz come and surround my car. they all get that brite ass halogen light shining at me and w/ the blue/red lights. two of them stay behind there car w/ there hand on there gun , and one of them starts to approach me. So i was like okay and I started to step out of the car. Never do this. As soon as I opend my door they all started running w/ there freaken GUNS pointing at me and saying stay there put your hands where i can see them. Im like wtf. and they all come to my car and starts to look inside my car. I then reach for my pants pocket so I can get my licence and they start to freak out again. "Son what's in your pocket!" im like my freaken licence. i then show him my licece to one of the officers and the rest of the officers where checken out my car. and when i turned the navi on one of the cop was like hey come check this out. and all of them came around to see the kool navi. so of course I had to show them. Then they asked what year my car was and what kind of job I had. They couldn't belive how old I was and how I was driving a car that's more expensive than there freaken salary. I was like suckers. and drove off after getting my license.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to share the experience.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech . may be more mod'z after when i get a job.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:11 AM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Then they asked what year my car was and what kind of job I had. They couldn't belive how old I was and how I was driving a car that's more expensive than there freaken salary. I was like suckers. and drove off after getting my license.

</font>

But ya gotta love it!!!

------------------
Please rear end me in my Accord, so I have to buy a Type-s
Old 01-09-2001, 02:14 AM
Race Director

Yeah, everybody complains about the cops and when they have an emergency it's "where are the cops, help!"

I'm one of the older guys and when I was younger, I got pulled over more than a dozen times, mostly for speeding.

GET USED TO IT! You'll survive....

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-09-2001, 03:01 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Same $hit happen to me. well kinda. I was in a empty parkinglot waiting for some of my friends , w/ 2 other people in my car and all of a sudden not one but THREE copz come and surround my car. they all get that brite ass halogen light shining at me and w/ the blue/red lights. two of them stay behind there car w/ there hand on there gun , and one of them starts to approach me. So i was like okay and I started to step out of the car. Never do this. As soon as I opend my door they all started running w/ there freaken GUNS pointing at me and saying stay there put your hands where i can see them. Im like wtf. and they all come to my car and starts to look inside my car. I then reach for my pants pocket so I can get my licence and they start to freak out again. "Son what's in your pocket!" im like my freaken licence. i then show him my licece to one of the officers and the rest of the officers where checken out my car. and when i turned the navi on one of the cop was like hey come check this out. and all of them came around to see the kool navi. so of course I had to show them. Then they asked what year my car was and what kind of job I had. They couldn't belive how old I was and how I was driving a car that's more expensive than there freaken salary. I was like suckers. and drove off after getting my license.

</font>

Simple Rulz to follow when pulled over by copz:

1) first pull over in a safe way to a safe place.
2) turn off your engine.
3) At night, turn on the maps lights (or whatever u have about your head)
4) Freeze and relax, a have deep breath.
5) Answer questtion only. Do not go like a bozo:" wtf, why you pulled me over, srrr!.
6) obey instructions, and behave like an naive driver... that helps sometime.
7) Oh if he said: "Cool, what dat, a NAVi", then impress him with ACURA's brains.

May be that help.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories.

[This message has been edited by Nashua_Night_Hawk (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 04:28 AM
Pro

i have lived in several east coast states and maryland cops (troopers especialy) are the worst next to jersey, but i forgive them b/c everything illegal in the east comes thru jersey, i grew up on long island and queens and, nypd aka "new york pricks and d*cks" are ok lived there 18 years 3 with a license and pulled 17 times with no tickets but at least i was never called boy and son like here in s.c.

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
Old 01-09-2001, 12:31 PM
ACME sucks!

Go figure.... I rode a 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 900 for 14 years (I'm 34) and rode fast. I got pulled over once in that time frame for doing 92 in a 65.... and got a warning! (The cop was a biker too.)

I had my CL-S for only 5 weeks and got a ticket on my way to Houston from Fort Worth. I was #2 in a pack of traffic doing about 80ish in a 70 zone. The guy in front of me sees the cop and slams on his brakes. I move over to the right lane to avoid rearending this moron (and to keep from getting rearended) and I get a ticket for doing 82 in a 70.

When I read the ticket I had to laugh because the cop wrote down that my car was a 1996 Acura.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony

Wheel Locks/Tint/Splash Guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/Still trying to find a K&N filter!
Old 01-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Yeah, everybody complains about the cops and when they have an emergency it's "where are the cops, help!"

I'm one of the older guys and when I was younger, I got pulled over more than a dozen times, mostly for speeding.

GET USED TO IT! You'll survive....

</font>
Sorry, ken, but it doesn't make it right. The police often show complete disrepect to younger people. When I was younger, I had a police officer screaming in my face telling me I'm a menace to society and I'm gonna kill someone for going 10mph over the speed limit. At age 30, I can get pulled over doing 25mph over the speed limit and the officer will be very polite. THAT'S COMPLETE BS!!! I don't know if they think they can scare young kids into driving sensibly, but I'm here to tell you that they cannot. Sure, we shouldn't speed, but we do anyways. And there is absolutely no justification whatsoever for the treatment some people get from the police... whether they're young, old, black, white, etc etc. I thought we were all created equal? Seems like the police should treat everyone equally when it comes to traffic infarctions.

Old 01-09-2001, 04:05 PM
magnet

i hate fuckin cops i get pulled over every month for going like 5 mph over the limit and the give me tickets for everything like exhaust being 2 loud or my car being to low

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom) slammed on nex suspension
Old 01-09-2001, 04:34 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

I had to laugh about the "being equal" thing. There is and always will be cops (and other) abusing their power for the purely personal. I myself distrust ALL cops, but even I realize that they all aren't bad...just enough to discredit the entire organization. That's no consolation when you're the one getting screwed though. Be careful.

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 01-09-2001, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I guess I really can't complain... I've been pulled over a couple times for speeding and let go. Once cop tagged me at 83 in a 55 and didn't even run my license. He looked at it, then told me to keep it under at least 70mph. The state troopers around here are pretty cool, it's some of the locals that suck. Luckily I haven't had to deal with them. Not only that, but driving to and from work in rush hour doesn't allow you to speed (no room), so that helps If I were ever harrased by a cop, I would get his / their badge numbers, write a letter to the station, then go over their head to the state. If that doesn't work, my parents best friends are friends with Pataki (he used to be Mayor of Peekskill, one town over from me). When I am pulled over, I'm just quiet and polite. So far, that's worked....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(
Old 01-09-2001, 07:02 PM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:

Simple Rulz to follow when pulled over by copz:

1) first pull over in a safe way to a safe place.
2) turn off your engine.
3) At night, turn on the maps lights (or whatever u have about your head)
4) Freeze and relax, a have deep breath.
5) Answer questtion only. Do not go like a bozo:" wtf, why you pulled me over, srrr!.
6) obey instructions, and behave like an naive driver... that helps sometime.
7) Oh if he said: "Cool, what dat, a NAVi", then impress him with ACURA's brains.

May be that help.

</font>
8) And make sure your hands are on the steering wheel.

If you notice, when a cop pulls you over and approaches your window, their hand is on their gun. If you were to make sudden movements, such as reaching down into a bag or something without telling them, they automatically assume you are pulling out a weapon and may shoot you. It is entirely within their jurisdiction. This happened to a young African-American lady who was apparently reaching into her purse for something, and she subsequently got shot 17 times(overkill...thanks to today's media if a person gets shot and doesn't get blown 15 meet away, people dont think that they are dead...). The cop thought she was reaching for a gun. That's kinda freaky...whether you're "dark-skinned" or not, you gotta be careful(not to be racist or anything, but police *do* profile...).

Just tellin you guys to be careful.

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!!

Former post count : 460
Old 01-09-2001, 07:54 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Sorry to hear about all your bad experiences with the cops. I did just like someone mentioned, when they pulled me over for the seatbelt thing i put both front windows down (even though it was freezing out) and put my hands on the top of the steering wheel. I think they were just looking for some excuse to pull me over cause they stayed right with me for a while. I have been pulled before for speeding (93 in 55 work zone and 35 in a 20) but no ticket even though i deserved one and the officers were really polite and nice about the speeding thing. I would not have cared if i got a ticket for no seatbelt if i wasnt wearing one but i was, they were just wanted to pull me over for some reason.
Old 01-09-2001, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Definatly the age factor. Here in Reading we have what used to be called The Road to Nowhere. Now its 222. I was heading to Penn State Berks at 9am and a cop pulled behind me. I was doing 55. I know this area is heave with police activity. He was following me so close I could see the doughnut crumbs on his face. I couldn't see his light bar. I slowed to 50. From the Route 61 on ramp to the Broadcasting road exit he was on me. He got off at Broadcasting and I continued to Paper Mill Road. This was about three miles. I'm only 22...

------------------
2001 CL Type S. No mods.
No mods planned. I don't know anything about cars...
Old 01-09-2001, 10:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

all the tips are right on the ball. i always put my right hand on the wheel and my left out the window. answer everything with yes sir, or maam. and ALWAYS admit to what i'm doing was wrong! i've been pulled over as many times as you older dudes. difference is is that i've been pulled over for all the RIGHT reasons! i got pulled over the 1st day i even got my license. Sorry, but over here in Jersey, troopers have this thing for teenagers. especially if you're a hispanic dude like me with a fast car. i've have lots of cops friends, i dont hate, i dont love em. i just let em know i know em! i've gotten off 99.9% of the times i've gotten pulled over. the only one time, i didn't show the cop my PBA cards or told em who i knew in that town so the mofo gave me tickets worth a total of 10 points. OUCH. got em down to 4 though. anyway, he was the only dude in the town of Woodbridge who had a quota to write.

------------------
YuppieCL
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint, Full nose mask
Old 01-09-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro

I think everyone can relate. Some cops are cool as hell and there are others that take their badges to the head. Still i've always been polite and have never had any serious problems with them before. Thank god! I had to run once but that's another story. Nothing serious though. Whatever you do, keep your cool and show some respect and it should turn out okay.
Old 01-10-2001, 12:23 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
Sorry, ken, but it doesn't make it right. The police often show complete disrepect to younger people. When I was younger, I had a police officer screaming in my face telling me I'm a menace to society and I'm gonna kill someone for going 10mph over the speed limit. At age 30, I can get pulled over doing 25mph over the speed limit and the officer will be very polite. THAT'S COMPLETE BS!!! I don't know if they think they can scare young kids into driving sensibly, but I'm here to tell you that they cannot. Sure, we shouldn't speed, but we do anyways. And there is absolutely no justification whatsoever for the treatment some people get from the police... whether they're young, old, black, white, etc etc. I thought we were all created equal? Seems like the police should treat everyone equally when it comes to traffic infarctions.
</font>
No, it isn't right. There are a few young people who want to do the right thing, are respectful, and deserve to be treated equally. Everyone deserves to be treated equally.

[back to reality on]The point I was trying to make is young people have always had to pay for a lot of things put on them by older people. Most young people get all the equal treatment that they deserve until they (frequently) do something to throw it away. Not that it is entirely their fault all the time but I'm not so sure it's not entirely deserved.

Not to be down on younger people or whatever (maybe this s/b another thread) but being young is something that everyone once was and that everyone [living] eventually grows out of. That's what makes it different from being black/white, religion, etc. There is nothing in the Constitution about age [discrimination]. If I say "you cannot work at x-place until you are age 25..." then so be it. Is that wrong?

Anyway, consequently a lot of older people make use of their wisdom and experience and ultimately take advantage of younger people. If it were not for the bad attitude, lack of respect, and poor choices that young people make so often (not that older people don't make them often too), I would be more sympathetic. But I'm not exactly so inclined to.

I think the point was well made that you have different type of police that treat different people in different ways. That being said, let's just go by the law in what is lawful and what is not. It is unlawful to harass a driver because he is Hispanic; it is not unlawful to "harass" a driver because he is young. Am I wrong?

My edit was: I should have said age discrimination about being young, not old; because there are laws about "too old for..."

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001, 12:55 AM
Number 37

Ken,
I can surely appreciate where you are coming from, but young people, especially those of us who are responsible, are tired for paying for the mistakes of others. And yes everyone goes throught the same thing, but you have to understand we don't have to like it. No matter how much your post makes sense, we will still complain about all the crap that comes along with being young. My .02

------------------
Please have a crane drop on my car so I have to buy a new CL-S. But wait till I'm not in the car. Thanks
Old 01-10-2001, 01:38 PM
Instructor

When a certain age, or group of people tend to break the law, its only logical for police to watch them more than everybody else. Profiling is not bad if used in the right way. Blacks commit more crime than whites. Young guys tend to drive like nuts more often than anyone else... thats the way it is. But in my case where the cop was an inch and a half off my six is a bit overdoing it. Profiling by the police is OK if they do it correctly. All police do it and they have good reason to.

------------------
2001 CL Type S. No mods.
Old 01-10-2001, 02:13 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuckyCL:
When a certain age, or group of people tend to break the law, its only logical for police to watch them more than everybody else. Profiling is not bad if used in the right way. Blacks commit more crime than whites. Young guys tend to drive like nuts more often than anyone else... thats the way it is. But in my case where the cop was an inch and a half off my six is a bit overdoing it. Profiling by the police is OK if they do it correctly. All police do it and they have good reason to.

</font>
You wrote:" Young guys tend to drive like nuts more often than anyone else... "

I have to disagree. This morning while driving to work (at normal crusing speed) I exited to a 2-lane service road, I was on the left lane, before reaching my exit I put right signal on for a while and the next >>old<< fuking basterd did not slow to let me take the exit, I was way in front of him at least a half a car, so I tried to speed at first to avoid his freaking POS. The basterd started honking like a bitsh. (I think he was day dreaming all the way .... before he saw me speeding to avoid him)

I braked hard and let him pass me. Then on the ramp, I honked him hard, and opened my window down and yelled...."Fuckuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Old stupid day dreaming drivers should get their candy ass kicked hard.....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nashua_Night_Hawk (edited 01-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nashua_Night_Hawk (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001, 03:15 PM
Instructor

So? You saw one old guy drive like a jerkoff. That doesn't disprove what I said earlier. A kid in a POS CRX cut me off this morning.

------------------
2001 CL Type S. No mods.
Old 01-10-2001, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nootch:
Ken,
I can surely appreciate where you are coming from, but young people, especially those of us who are responsible, are tired for paying for the mistakes of others. And yes everyone goes throught the same thing, but you have to understand we don't have to like it. No matter how much your post makes sense, we will still complain about all the crap that comes along with being young. My .02
</font>
Well said... I'm considered young (24) but I look even younger (especially after a shave ). It pisses me off to no end when people try to patronize me. Once these people realize that I have close to or as much responsibility as them (minus the children of course ), have a good job at a very respectable company, and probably make twice as much as they do, at about half their age, usually some respect comes with it. Especially when they realize all of my "toys" are mine, and I worked for it. I think when a cop pulls me over, he see's a young guy with earrings, but once I open my mouth, they can tell I'm a business man and not some punk driving fast. Like YuppieCL does, I always say sir or ma'am and always make eye contact. Once they realize what I'm about, they are usually really cool with me.....

------------------

Old 01-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuckyCL:
</font>
Racial profiling is no good, no matter how you cut it. It is never ok and there is never a good reason (for the good of the state) to do it. It cannot be done correctly and fairly. It is illegal. Perhaps you should review the definition of profiling as it relates to police work.

To have a policy that says stop all Acura CL drivers that come thru this county because every one of them so far (about 4 this year) have all contained marijuana is ludicrous and illegal.

Do you have factual information to back up your claim that blacks commit more crimes than whites? Never mind, I shouldn't have asked; you don't.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 01-10-2001, 09:34 PM
Pro

I'm 16 but I haven't had any trouble but I do wear shirt and tie maybe that helps but then our cops suck so far I have been cut off by cops relized they don't use their turn signals lets see I was behind a cop doing 70 in a 50 and then 70 in a 45 (he wasn't running his lights or anything) And I watch for cops the only ones that ever see me speeding are on the other side of a divided highway with a cement rail in the center.
Old 01-10-2001, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey there Guys. Came over here from the TL Board. I feel compelled to write after all the negative comments and wanted to give you a law enforcement perspective. First, I do not necessarily agree with the way the officers handled this situation, but I was not there.

We are specifically trained for Officer Saftey concerns when intiating a traffic stop. Most of what you said they did, while a little extreme, follows the parameters of training. Most importantly please remember, Cops are people too. We bleed and get hurt just like everyone else. Contrary to belief, a 40 cal. side arm and kevlar vest, does not make us Supermen.

Just to give a different perspective, I will tell you a story of a fellow officer I know. It was late one evening and the officer was sitting in a parking lot finishing some paperwork in his patrol vehicle. He noticed a car pull in the parking lot accross from him and turn out his lights. The officer seeing this activity arouse his suspicion and he pulled his vehicle behind the suspects car and lit him up ( light bar and take down lights ). He approched the vehicle and asked the driver for his license. The suspect presented his license and the officer returned to his patrol car. Our federal computers were down and the officer was unable to verify the man's identity. He was going to release him, when as he left his patrol car he noticed the supect fiddling around in his car. The Officer then used training tactics and approched from the passenger side of the suspects vehicle, covering his weapon. The suspect was startled when he realized the officer was on the opposite side of the car. The suspect drew a 9 mm. from his waist area and began shooting at the officer striking him 5 times (2 in the vest, one in the shoulder, one in the fore arm and one in the lower leg). The officer already covering his weapon, drew it and fired falling backward away from the suspects vehicle. The officer fired around nine to ten times striking the suspect at least three times. The Officer then moved back towards the rear of his police vehicle and fearing he was out ammunition reloaded his weapon with the extra magazine. While he was crouched below his vehicle he saw the suspect get out of his car to finish him off. The officer fired around 9 - 10 more times striking the suspect an additional 5 - 6 times finially killing the suspect. The Officer got on his radio and advised the dispatcher of his situation. His cell phone rang and it was his wife. He calmly told his wife he had ben shot was O.K. and she could meet him at the hospital. The Officer was transported to the hospital and survived his gunshot wounds and returned to duty three months later.

Now the clincher, the suspect was a man in his late twenties driving a newer 5 series bimmer, a successful professional who two days earlier went balistic and killed his wife and two children.

The Officer had no way of knowing this and if not for the intense training we received, he more than likely would not have survived to see his own children grow up.

My point is, we have no idea who is driving any given vehicle when we initiate a stop. Like defensive driving we must be prepared for any situation as if our life depended on it, because quite frankly it does.

I know that sometimes our actions seem a little intimidating, but it is all for officer saftey so we can go home after our shift, kiss our children and our wives and go to bed for a good night sleep.

With all this being said, I recognize there are bad cops out there as there are bad people in any organization. Do not let the actions of few deter and allow you to formulate your opionion of all police officers. I'm about the fairest most unbias person you could meet. I treat everyone with respect regardless of color, ethnic diversity, age or gender, until such time as they do not treat me with equal respect.

I apologize for the long post, but I felt that you should see it from another perspective that you would have never seen before.

P.S. I'm a patrol officer and not a traffic officer, I do not like to write tickets unless someone is willfully wreckless or way over the limit (usually 10 - 15 mph) before I intiate a stop.

------------------
00' Laguna Green TL w/ Navi, Rear Spoiler & Tint. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways, Exhaust and 17" or 18" Wheels & Tires.
Old 01-11-2001, 12:34 AM
Team Owner

MikeS,

Appreciate the story, it sounds like you are one of the honest guys.
Unfortunately, I think you are in a small minority compared to most officers.

When I was in my early 20’s, I was racing around town in my RED Daytona Shelby-Z w/ Limo black window tint.
I got pulled over all the time of course because I was asking for it with the stereo cranking and the T-Tops out
Now at 33, I have settled down a bit and I don’t attract much trouble from the men in blue.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-11-2001, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
MikeS,

Appreciate the story, it sounds like you are one of the honest guys.
Unfortunately, I think you are in a small minority compared to most officers.

When I was in my early 20’s, I was racing around town in my RED Daytona Shelby-Z w/ Limo black window tint.
I got pulled over all the time of course because I was asking for it with the stereo cranking and the T-Tops out
Now at 33, I have settled down a bit and I don’t attract much trouble from the men in blue.

Shawn S

</font>
Actually I think it's the oppoosite. Most Officers do not make as much as most four year degree professionals make, so most officers are dedicated to the profession, such as teachers. IMO teachers are one of the most underpaid positions in the job market. It requires a degree and has the lowest pay. There are bad eggs no doubt, but it is a profession of honor. Unfortuantely the press loves to make us out to be oh so bad, it sells more papers. It gets frustrating at times, the laws protect criminals more than victims. I hate to see good, honest people done wrong and the system doesn't protect them. Don't get me wrong, I still think this is the greatest country in the world, but somethings need to be fixed.

------------------
00' Laguna Green TL w/ Navi, Rear Spoiler & Tint. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways, Exhaust and 17" or 18" Wheels & Tires.

[This message has been edited by MikeS (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-11-2001, 03:08 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

MikeS,

I am gald to see a nice cop on this board. I am Canadian and living now in NH. One thing that I found in Canada and never heard of in US is the following: Cops/Public awarness, Education, and relationship.

I still remember that where I used to live in Brossard, Qc, once we got to see the Brossard PD took over a large stand in the middle of the local Mall. PD displayed almost everything Radar/Laser Gun, patrol cars, statistics, maps, mission statement, rules of engagement etc.... 2-3 officers were available to answer questions...

I never heard of something like this in New England so far....

I guess if the PD try to expose a friendly face rather than just let cable TV portray PD as bunch of mission impossible agents that will public not to be affraid of the cops but rather appreciate what they do.

------------------
Old 01-11-2001, 11:34 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
MikeS,

I am gald to see a nice cop on this board. I am Canadian and living now in NH. One thing that I found in Canada and never heard of in US is the following: Cops/Public awarness, Education, and relationship.

I still remember that where I used to live in Brossard, Qc, once we got to see the Brossard PD took over a large stand in the middle of the local Mall. PD displayed almost everything Radar/Laser Gun, patrol cars, statistics, maps, mission statement, rules of engagement etc.... 2-3 officers were available to answer questions...

I never heard of something like this in New England so far....

</font>
They do this in Minnesota all the time. Must be an East Coast thing.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 01-11-2001, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

MikeS... great story and well said. There are always two sides to everything, it's good to hear that other side. As far as that public relations stuff...it must be an east coast thing b/c we don't have any of that here in NY either. It's cool though, I have nothing against them....

------------------

Old 01-11-2001, 07:23 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Hey MikeS
Im glad to hear that your a nice reasonable guy and not like the two officers i encountered. I really have nothing against the police (except these two) and really respect you guys for putting your lives on the line everyday for our protection. Just thought you should know im not one of those people that hates the police even if they are just doing their jobs and i screw up and suffer the consequences. This stop just seemed alittle extreme and they were really rude toward me.