Does modding your car make you nervous? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 12:38 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does modding your car make you nervous? Worth it?

I am posting this in your forum because I visit it a lot and quiet a few of you modify your cars. Do your performance upgrades void your warranty in any way? And even if they don't, do you worry about long term reliability?

I ask because I have the opportunity to put in a high flow intake system with ECU upgrade to my '98 GS400. This will yield an additional 30hp and 40ft/lb torque. Normal price is $995, but I can get it for half that.

Now, my car still has 20K miles left on the standard warranty, and I extended it up to 100K. I really want to do this, but I don't know many people that have modified their car. Also, I have no idea where I will get it installed (NJ).

Thanks for any info, even though I drive an 'enemy' car. Here is a link with some info on the upgrade with pictures and dyno graphs.

http://www.swift-racing.com/vehicles.../intake400.htm
Old 01-09-2001, 01:31 AM
Number 37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been in a few other threads, but unless the car manufacturer can prove that the mod directly caused the malfunction, they can't void your warranty.

------------------
Please rear end me in my Accord, so I have to buy a Type-s
Old 01-09-2001, 01:37 AM
7th Gear

Screw the damn warranty. Factory warranties are bs anyhow. GO for the MODS! Nothings gonna happen to your car unless you push it too hard.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:56 AM
hater

WOW! That's a killer increase for an intake on a N/A car for less than $500! I'd do it. You're talking N/A here .vs forced induction where so many people push the boost level too high and f*ck something up.

What's that gonna do to your 0-60 and 1/4 times? Interesting, to say the least. Get ready to go through rear tires.

------------------
2001 CL-S "The Original Pimp Daddy Gold™"
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 01-09-2001, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, that's a no-brainer... a huge increase in hp per dollar spent. As someone else said, it won't do anything to your warranty. The dealer has to prove that it caused the failure of something else. I think it's very safe to lightly - moderately modify cars. Manufacturers build them to handle more power than they have. It's a matter of finding a balance between more power and less reliability. On a good car like a Lexus or Acura, you have to REALLY bump up the power output before you start seriously jeopardizing your reliability.

Go for it... you won't be disappointed!!
Old 01-09-2001, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
WOW! That's a killer increase for an intake on a N/A car for less than $500! (snip)</font>
He also mentioned an ECU chip. I thought once you open the computer the warranty goes bye-bye?? Maybe the same rules apply (unless they can prove it...), but I would thinking messing with the computer would void some part of the warranty....

As far as the "enemy" car thing... don't sweat it, as long as you're a nice guy, we don't care what you drive

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(

[This message has been edited by juniorbean (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 12:40 PM

Thats quite a substantial increase, and it doesn't seem like it will be over working the engine.

I'd go for it. You don't have much to lose, the chances of having major problems with that type of mod are very very slim.
Old 01-09-2001, 12:49 PM
Drifting

The thing about installing an ECU is that it is very hard to notice on your car, even for the dealer. If they do know that you have an ECU, YES they will void your warranty, and blame that on everything. A lot of people that have Audi A4's had big issues going to dealers for warranty work, because of chip upgrades. In my old integra, I did not upgrade the ECU, but I did have intake , headers, exhaust, and springs. The dealer blamed all my perf. mods, when my engine had problems. Conclusion..if a dealer wants to be a prick, and not give you your warranty..they can do it. I know first hand. I called Acura, I had lawyers trying to help me, and no luck. This is why I am so hesitant in modding my car. I had a nightmare with the integra, and frankly I dont want to go through with it again.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:28 PM
Rx Master

Damm thats a huge increase in Hp for an intake or for a ECU, whate4ver it ie. Man so the car would have 330 HP after, that is crazy, and that is more than a stck Supra turbo. MAn, i wanted that car soo bad, so i could have 4 guys in the car and race my friends corvettes comv. BUt got my cl-s and he has a gti vr4 now, so i am happy smokin his ass everyday since.
WG

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
coilovers or springs to come soon 501+ posts makes me a freak on the old Cl page.

Old 01-09-2001, 03:08 PM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
The thing about installing an ECU is that it is very hard to notice on your car, even for the dealer. If they do know that you have an ECU, YES they will void your warranty, and blame that on everything. A lot of people that have Audi A4's had big issues going to dealers for warranty work, because of chip upgrades. In my old integra, I did not upgrade the ECU, but I did have intake , headers, exhaust, and springs. The dealer blamed all my perf. mods, when my engine had problems. Conclusion..if a dealer wants to be a prick, and not give you your warranty..they can do it. I know first hand. I called Acura, I had lawyers trying to help me, and no luck. This is why I am so hesitant in modding my car. I had a nightmare with the integra, and frankly I dont want to go through with it again.</font>
I was looking into buying an A4 a while back. As far as the ECU. I was told that if you disconect the battery for 24hrs than it re-sets itself. Plus for a couple hundred dollars you could always buy a stand-in ECU when you take it to the dealer.

------------------
Old 01-09-2001, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the dealer will definately see the upgraded ECU because you have to slice into the old one...

You guys do seem to be very comfortable with this kind of stuff, so I am leaning towards doing it more now. At clublexus.com there is a huge debate raging over this topic, but since I am nearing the end of my standard warranty I am not TOO nervous.

Urirx, even more sick then the HP is the torque, going to around 355 would be sweet. I do love the CL-S, that is why we will most likely get one for my wife.
Old 01-09-2001, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

O/T:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nootch:

</font>
LOL!

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Blue Sub 6
*Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
*Polarg BlHybrid M-14 Turning Signal/M-4 Side Markers next
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=10358832
Old 01-09-2001, 05:57 PM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KavexTrax:
O/T:
LOL!

</font>
At this point it is the only way I could afford one.

------------------