Does anyone else have tire wear issues with Comptech springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:50 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else have tire wear issues with Comptech springs?

I tell you, this is driving me crazy.

To set the stage, I have competch springs with Koni shocks. I have had my car aligned no fewer than 3 times on a Hunter road force analyzer and the results have always been within spec., with the exception that the rear was out of camber by a a tenth or hundreth of a percent (I don't remember, but it was next to nothing).

I rotate my tires every 10-12k miles and the GD things keep wearing on the inside, most notably on the back tires.

So far I have been through the stock tires (this one they screwed up because they didn't align it after the install--idiots), a set of Potenza RE730s, a set of Kumho Ecstas and now my Kumho MXs. BTW, I have 75000 miles on the car--you work out that average!

While I'm becoming very familiar with the handling characterisitics of many different tires, this has got to stop.

Is anyone else having this type of wear? I'm hoping to at least get through this set for the summer but then I'm right back in the same boat.

What's up with this?
Old 04-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After my Comptech spring installation, Jens (PAA guru) suggested that I rotate my tires every 5K miles -- he suggested that any lowered car (even the modest Comptech drop) will wear tires more frequently and more frequent rotation is the key to extending tire life.

Why are you rotating tires at 12K miles? Even the manual suggests a 7500 mile rotation interval.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:09 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have CT springs and konis installed and had an alignment. I have my tires rotated every 5k and now after 15k on my tires I haven't run into any excessive wear issues.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the CT Springs and Koni Yellows and i got by the normal rotation schedule.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey
After my Comptech spring installation, Jens (PAA guru) suggested that I rotate my tires every 5K miles -- he suggested that any lowered car (even the modest Comptech drop) will wear tires more frequently and more frequent rotation is the key to extending tire life.
Cool. Yet another reason to help me justify keeping my CLS at 4x4 ride level height
Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Does anyone else have tire wear issues with Comptech springs?

Originally posted by JZ

I rotate my tires every 10-12k miles and the GD things keep wearing on the inside, most notably on the back tires.

Theres your problem....Slimey answered your question..

and 3 sets of tires for 75K is decent in my mind...
Half the fun is smoking them off before you go get new tires that day..
Old 04-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I rotate mine every 5K miles. 10K miles is way too long even with a stock setup. No uneven wear. Also you might want to get a camber kit as well. I know the CT drop isn't supposed to need it, however there have been a few people here who had wear issues & that fixed it.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I'm not sure the camber kit will add anything if he's in spec.

FWD cars (in my experience) will wear front tires fast when you don't rotate.

I also agree with Smitty -- 3 sets in 75K is not too bad for the sport-lux coupe that we have. Don't buy sport oriented tires if you want them to last forever - if that's your goal then downgrade to 16" wheels and get some loooong lasting touring tires. Just don't turn to often...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Balla on a Budget

I would just pick up some tires witha 400 rating. These are the highest you can get I believe, and should go atleast 30K or so.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ktgumbo
I would just pick up some tires witha 400 rating.
good luck finding them, that have the correct load rating & size.
and the NOISE those fuckers are going to produce is going to sound like a 4X4 truck on 33 inch tires rolling down the highway.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

With my 225 re730's(comptech springs/stock shocks), The cl-s had inside tire wear but I still got 30k miles out of them,, My 235 re750's have about 15k miles on them and I still don't see any inside wear,,, I rotate/balance every 5k miles... after the switch to this set up I will never go back to stock again , it's still like driving a completely dif car than stock. IMO
Old 04-01-2004, 12:28 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Well, even if I went with harder rubber, they are still going to wear unevenly.

Clearly, I only ever expected to get a good 20k miles out of the Z rated tires, but I would hope that it would be an even-wearing 20k instead of always having the insides of the tires wearing out.

What I think you guys are missing is that there is clearly something else going on here--why are my rear tires wearing so unevenly on the inside? I simply don't believe that rotation at 7500 vs 10 or 12 k is going to make that much of a difference--the simple fact is that the suspension setup is wearing tires unevenly--If I rotated them every 20 miles the car is still going to eat up the insides of my tires in a very non-uniform way.

And, I would guess that those of you rotating your tires every 5k miles are in the vast minority on that one. That seems a bit excessive unless it takes you a year to rack up 5000 miles.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

With high perforamnce tires in big sizes 17"+ comes the added responsiablty of frequent rotation. Ask any ASE tech they will tell you the same.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JZ

Clearly, I only ever expected to get a good 20k miles out of the Z rated tires, but I would hope that it would be an even-wearing 20k instead of always having the insides of the tires wearing out.

What I think you guys are missing is that there is clearly something else going on here--why are my rear tires wearing so unevenly on the inside? I simply don't believe that rotation at 7500 vs 10 or 12 k is going to make that much of a difference--the simple fact is that the suspension setup is wearing tires unevenly--If I rotated them every 20 miles the car is still going to eat up the insides of my tires in a very non-uniform way.

And, I would guess that those of you rotating your tires every 5k miles are in the vast minority on that one. That seems a bit excessive unless it takes you a year to rack up 5000 miles.

There is no way your alignment is within spec then... there is something your not telling us or you were totally misinformed by the people who did your 4 wheel alignment..
Do as someone suggest and get a camber kit... We are telling you the answer but it sounds like your expecting some miracle from us..
I rotate my tires every 5K.. bottom line.. I do not have any uneven wearing issues... I have Comptech drop with my Stock shocks....
You can always take the springs off and go back to riding around town like a dork with 4X4 ride height.... that should solve your problem..
Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by JZ

If you are using non-directional tires and rotating in a criss-cross pattern (ie: per the manual) then you will be changing the rolling pattern of the tire with each rotation, as well as the loads that tire sees. This will alter the wear characteristics. This is why rotation is recommended.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by JZ
I rotate every 3,000 miles.
With my king size 3 1/2” ton floor jack I can swap all 4 tires in only about 45 minutes.
My new Toyo Proxes 4’s were just mounted on the rims yesterday and are going on this weekend.

My Falken Azenis tires didn’t were unevenly; they just plain WORE OUT in only about 14,000 miles.
But I do tend to toss the car around a bit.

Shawn S
Old 04-01-2004, 02:05 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey

Why are you rotating tires at 12K miles? Even the manual suggests a 7500 mile rotation interval.
I rotate every other oil change...But still have slight inside wear. A camber kit is the only way to fix it totally.:o
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Shawn S
I rotate every 3,000 miles.
With my king size 3 1/2” ton floor jack I can swap all 4 tires in only about 45 minutes.
My new Toyo Proxes 4’s were just mounted on the rims yesterday and are going on this weekend.

My Falken Azenis tires didn’t were unevenly; they just plain WORE OUT in only about 14,000 miles.
But I do tend to toss the car around a bit.

Shawn S

I just had new Toyos put on a few weeks ago. My old ones looked bad. You are in for a real treat. Theres nothing like a fresh set of toyos. So smooth!!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 02:58 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Oh well, I guess it's time for new tires and rotation at every oil change.

As for the alignment, I actually was doing it with my friend who is a master tech so I know it was done correctly.

I guess I was naive in thinking that 10000 miles is suitable for a rotation time. I guess in reality that's like rotating a 70000 mile tire after 35000 miles.

That's OK--I like getting new tires anyways. Maybe the Potenza 750s this time.

Over and out.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I have 35000 miles on a set of Nitto 555's which is unheard of with this soft compound tire. This is also with barking second on most shifts.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:12 PM
///M POWER

i have uneven wear with my eibach pro kit cause i didnt have time to get a alighment, but when the toyos go on saturday, i get a oil change and alighment at acura on monday and i'm gonna rotate these toyos every 3-4k when i get oil changes
Old 04-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Re: Does anyone else have tire wear issues with Comptech springs?

Originally posted by JZ
I tell you, this is driving me crazy.

What's up with this?
Make sure you are getting all four wheels aligned every 6 months (in addition to rotating your tires).
Old 04-02-2004, 10:18 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Does anyone else have tire wear issues with Comptech springs?

Originally posted by AZMerf
Make sure you are getting all four wheels aligned every 6 months (in addition to rotating your tires).

OK, now this just seems crazy. There is no way a car should need to be re-aligned every six months. Lucky for me my good friend takes care of all of this stuff for me but if I stuck to that program, and the tire rotation program mentioned earlier, we're talking about spending rediculous amounts of money on TIRES!

Let's see, what does a rotate and alignement cost:

Rotate: at the dealer 50-60$
Alignment: at the dealer: 120-140$

If I drive 20k miles in a year I would be talking about 240-280 for the alignments and another 200-240 for rotation for a total of approximately 440-520$ a year on tire maintenance.

Come on now, this is not a Ferrari we are dealing with. For that cost you might as well just run a set of tires for 12 months and then get new ones. Forget about rotating them!
Old 04-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

My tire install place (NTB)offers free rotate and balance every 5k,, for me this is about every 3-4 months. Something to think about when you buy tires... I also used tirerack for prices and they matched them and then charged me a extra $10/tire for mounting. Sears sometimes will do this also.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Discount Tire Centers offers free lifetime alignment and rotation for $130+. I use that. Two alignments already paying more than what I paid for the package.

My rear camber is off by 0.5 degree. I may need a camber kit also.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Tire kindom also has free rotation & balance for the life of the tires. There are also other places that you pay like $150 & get lifetime alignments.