Do we need to bleed the brakes on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
You underdig?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we need to bleed the brakes on our cars?

I have a buddy who claims all newer, nicer cars have "self-bleeding" brakes. Is that true? I just changed all the pads on mine for the first time and the pedal is a bit spungy. Anyone know if I need to bleed my brake lines?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Upgrade to SS brake lines. That spungy feeling will go away. I believe a lot of members here have experienced that spunginess..

Your friend sounds like a comedian...where did he pick that line up?

Read this.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/BrakeMainte...eding%20Brakes
Old 01-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
ALL brakes need to be bled. Now when is only when you need to. If you open your brake lines up & get air into them then you need to bleed. If you just put new pads on you should not need to, but as with anything there are exceptions. If it doesn't feel right then get them bled. It may help.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nitelyfe
I have a buddy who claims all newer, nicer cars have "self-bleeding" brakes. Is that true? I just changed all the pads on mine for the first time and the pedal is a bit spungy. Anyone know if I need to bleed my brake lines?
There is no such thing as self bleeding brakes. And if the pedal feels spongy, bleeding the brakes is a good idea.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
You underdig?

Right on... Thanks for the info. I gave my buddy a "wtf" look when he told me I had self bleeding brakes.

Next question: Is there anything special to bleeding them? I've done it on other Hondas. Is it pretty much the same process?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont let ther master cylinder run dry.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Upgrade to SS brake lines. That spungy feeling will go away. I believe a lot of members here have experienced that spunginess..

Your friend sounds like a comedian...where did he pick that line up?

Read this.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/BrakeMainte...eding%20Brakes
You shouldn't haven't to bleed your brakes unless you opened up the brake line. But over time brake fluid will break down. So bleeding the brakes may help you. A good thing to do too when doing that would be to change out the stock rubber lines which expand when hot and make the pedal feel spongy with some stainless steel brake lines.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Right on... Thanks for the info. I gave my buddy a "wtf" look when he told me I had self bleeding brakes.

Next question: Is there anything special to bleeding them? I've done it on other Hondas. Is it pretty much the same process?
That's not as bad as my friend when we were in high school and were browsing around Pep Boys and told our completely car idiot friend to ask the guy where the turn signal fluid was.
My buddy gave us a strange look, but when we kept a straight face, he went and asked an employee. You should have seen the utter look of disappointment on the old guys face behind the counter when my friend asked him, "Hey, where is the turn signal fluid at."

I swear, the look on that old guys face was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
You underdig?

Originally Posted by Excelerate
You shouldn't haven't to bleed your brakes unless you opened up the brake line. But over time brake fluid will break down. So bleeding the brakes may help you. A good thing to do too when doing that would be to change out the stock rubber lines which expand when hot and make the pedal feel spongy with some stainless steel brake lines.
I'm trying to sell the car so SS lines won't be an investment I'll be making.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:09 PM
You underdig?

Originally Posted by pits200
That's not as bad as my friend when we were in high school and were browsing around Pep Boys and told our completely car idiot friend to ask the guy where the turn signal fluid was.
My buddy gave us a strange look, but when we kept a straight face, he went and asked an employee. You should have seen the utter look of disappointment on the old guys face behind the counter when my friend asked him, "Hey, where is the turn signal fluid at."

I swear, the look on that old guys face was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL!!!

thats some funny shit son!!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Old 01-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

wow i need to remember that one
Old 01-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 505 Likes on 283 Posts
Tell your buddy new engines also change their oil themselves.

As far as the bleed, if you drive normally, or don't open up the brake lines, you'll be ok with not bleeding for a long long while.

But if you think the roads are a race track, in other words; are an idiot. Well then the heat generated by braking will cause bubbles your fuild to boil, and that's not very good for the fluid, duh.

And don't let the little brake fluid container get too low, because if you get air in your master cylinder, that just totally sucks to get out.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM
You underdig?

Originally Posted by PhilB81
But if you think the roads are a race track, in other words; are an idiot. Well then the heat generated by braking will cause bubbles your fuild to boil, and that's not very good for the fluid, duh.
Thanks for the advice I guess. You could easily go the other way and say hard braking also means everyone else on the road is an idiot. Which I THROUGHLY believe.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 505 Likes on 283 Posts
Thanks for the advice I guess. You could easily go the other way and say hard braking also means everyone else on the road is an idiot. Which I THROUGHLY believe.
You know, I read my post again, and I didn't write it as I meant it. By "hard braking" i mean constant repetitive, high speed, etc.

If you're driving on the highway going lets say 80mph, and something happens up ahead, and you ABS your way down to a stop, that's still no reason to bleed the brakes.
Keep doing that a few times in a row with stock CL brakes, and you'll quickly discover the wonders of brake fade. And as brakes fade, yes they are hot.. that's why you're not stoping, but at the same time they are not increasing in heat.

I've done some Solo2 events (not in the cl, in a typeR and talon TSI AWD) and neither of those came near needing brake bleeds after the events.
However, if you do a trackday (extremly fun) and you push pretty hard, I do recommend a bleed when you get home. However, I can guaratee that a lot of people that do those track events don't bleed the brakes and are "ok" with the car's driving.

I'm not sure if there are any special procedures with the CL. I usually pump the brake pedal 3 times, and on the 4th pump someone opens the valve. as my pedal goes to the floor someone closes the valve and I let the pedal come back up. I usually repeat 4-5 times, or untill happy with the fluid coming out. The reason why I bring this up, is my friend's toyota MR2 turbo's user manual said not to push the pedal all the way to the floor during the bleeding process.

have fun