Do people underestimate your CL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,221 Likes on 4,853 Posts

I was at a meet last weekend, the 3G TLs got most of the attention - which doesnt really bother me. I was looking at them too. We drove to another location and one of my friends wanted to see my headers, so I popped the hood. There was a group of people standing in front of my car when I did it, and when I lifted the hood all you heard was "woah!" Its not even that special either
Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i remember when i raced the wrx going to canibeat and broke the axle right after we did a small stop for gas... i opened a hood and like 20 people was looking at it and trying to ask me about details one of the guys was offering me that will hook me up with some magazine... i loled
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM

Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah and right after that i punched it leaving the gas station and broke the axle... just perfect timing...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM

Speaking of axles, Gator Racing still hasnt called me back /offtopic
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr

I actually love the fact that most people underestimate my car. It makes beating them that much sweeter
x2

Speaking of axles, Gator Racing still hasnt called me back /offtopic
They're loss on money to be made! I thought you were going try and get a group buy going on for the drive shaft shop axles?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM

I am, I still wanted to see what they had to offer. Apparently not much, it seams.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
I am, I still wanted to see what they had to offer. Apparently not much, it seams.
Lol you know what the means f**k them. I rather have the dss ones anyways ha.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 PM

Me too. The Gator axles seem to be marginally better then OEM.

Sorry for going offtopic.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually love the fact that most people underestimate my car. It makes beating them that much sweeter
I've been hesitant on posting this but...

I had a brand new M3 Coupe underestimate me on New Years Eve. This thing was brand spanking new with paper plates still on it. I pulled along side and didn't think he was going to go for it. I heard him go full throttle next to me so I jumped on it. We ran 3 different bursts from the middle of my 2nd gear to the top of 3rd and we were pretty even on each run.

We pulled up to the light and all he could say was "Man - you're pretty quick". No clue what I was driving and I think he was more surprised when I told him it was an Acura with a 3.2L motor. I was actually surprised that I held my own against a 414hp 4.0L V8 M3 but I did. Couldn't pick a more prime spot in the gears to run me.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahaha I think it's comedy . For 1 I've seen maybe 6 or so different Cls up here & maybe 3 were type s
Sadly only 1 was Clean
My 02cl S is clean as hell , have Grey Aspec-s & fresh paint black metallic with blue flakes
it's a big head turner cause a lot of people don't even know what kinda car it is .
I've had numerous people roll their window down at a light & ask "what year & model is that , it's clean as hell" Super funny
& funny story some Bone head in a brand spanking new spyder eclipse 6 M/t thought he was gunna show off with his girl in the car
Was on his ass til 80 & passed him like he went into reverse lol

5 days later , I'm at the gas station & an a employee is eye balling my car , so I walk up to the pump & he says "Nice car man , those things are fast , I raced one the other night & got my ass beat " I was like lol yeah they're quick , he's all "it actually looked like this one" , I go what kinda car you have , "a new eclipse" in my head I was lmfao lol I was like yeah that was me hahaha , he goes "damn man what mods have you done" I go bone stock bro "no way dude , that shits fast" lol it was the funniest thing ever , even funnier I think my IMRC was broke lmao
Gotta love 3.2 Vtec

Last edited by Blkout19; 02-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Allout

I had a brand new M3 Coupe underestimate me on New Years Eve. This thing was brand spanking new with paper plates still on it. I pulled along side and didn't think he was going to go for it. I heard him go full throttle next to me so I jumped on it. We ran 3 different bursts from the middle of my 2nd gear to the top of 3rd and we were pretty even on each run.

We pulled up to the light and all he could say was "Man - you're pretty quick". No clue what I was driving and I think he was more surprised when I told him it was an Acura with a 3.2L motor. I was actually surprised that I held my own against a 414hp 4.0L V8 M3 but I did. Couldn't pick a more prime spot in the gears to run me.
They're actually 420hp V8 monsters lol
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Did not know that was possible. Nice.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 AM
shifting at 7k

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Thats sick! Heavy modded and you're right you definitely got him on the perfect gears!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
My car never gets any attention but that is how I want it. I got alot of comments when I bought my first cl new in 2000. So many comments asking what the car is etc. After the first year of ownership, lets say 2002-2012 I have gotten no comments about my car, except i think one or 2 people asking if it was a tl.

I don't think anyone who lined up next to me ever thought they would lose. They were all 100% confident they would beat me.

Car shops wonder why you are modding a cl and ask why not just get a evo, sti or 350z. If you take it to meets or car shows noone even looks at it.

Personally, I am not interested in a car as popular and easy to build as a evo etc. Everyone and their mom does that.

It is priceless when you blow by someone and the look on their face of utter disappointment.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (02-04-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Woot. I raced JBlue in his 335xi with 15psi map (stock one is 8-9psi ?)back in a day he walked on my slighly from 80mph but until that we were dead even. I was running low boost.

Civicdrivr is a witness

Last edited by StreetKA; 02-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.
civicdrivr (02-04-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
my car never gets any attention but that is how i want it. I got alot of comments when i bought my first cl new in 2000. So many comments asking what the car is etc. After the first year of ownership, lets say 2002-2012 i have gotten no comments about my car, except i think one or 2 people asking if it was a tl.

I don't think anyone who lined up next to me ever thought they would lose. They were all 100% confident they would beat me.

Car shops wonder why you are modding a cl and ask why not just get a evo, sti or 350z. If you take it to meets or car shows noone even looks at it.

personally, i am not interested in a car as popular and easy to build as a evo etc. Everyone and their mom does that.it is priceless when you blow by someone and the look on their face of utter disappointment.
+1
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
My car never gets any attention but that is how I want it. I got alot of comments when I bought my first cl new in 2000. So many comments asking what the car is etc. After the first year of ownership, lets say 2002-2012 I have gotten no comments about my car, except i think one or 2 people asking if it was a tl.

Personally, I am not interested in a car as popular and easy to build as a evo etc. Everyone and their mom does that.

It is priceless when you blow by someone and the look on their face of utter disappointment.

After modding cars intended on being relatively slow, and cars designed for anything you can throw at them, it's more rewarding modding the fast cars. In the end, the slow cars are still relatively slow in this age of hp wars, and pretty much every single system has to be upgraded to handle the modest power increases. The reliability also isn't as good. My old Evo makes nearly 500 whp and has for almost 70k on the stock motor which now has 110k on it. It was stock until 5k, and has made 300+ awhp since that point (over 100k now) and the compression is still as good as day one. Never needed anything other than brakes, tires, fuel, and oil. The stock clutch was replaced so I could launch at the track and was still fine.

Cars like the CL-S are best with light bolt-ons and to be enjoyed for what they are, IMO....Evo/STi/M series beaters they are not. That said, I like my CL-S as much as my GT-R, just for different reasons

The following 2 users liked this post by A418t81:
civicdrivr (02-04-2012), StreetKA (02-06-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
i completely agree with what you stated. its a double edge sword. i love modding the CL because you never see one modded. but for that very same reason its that much harder to mod it.
The following 2 users liked this post by p.diddy:
civicdrivr (02-04-2012), StreetKA (02-06-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,429 Posts
We ran 3 different bursts from the middle of my 2nd gear to the top of 3rd and we were pretty even on each run.

Couldn't pick a more prime spot in the gears to run me.
lol, true. There is just enough range there to raise eyebrows in some that overestimate their game.

One important key I have found, though, is being able to anticipate when the other driver is going to throw down. That in itself will give you more competitive advantage, coupled with getting that all important shift to third fast and correct. Especially from a roll, when the deck is stacked agianst you in regards to cubic inches.

StreetKA (02-06-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by calvinnguy3n
hmmm... where i'm from i see 2nd gen CL's left and right. it's nothing special here. everyone knows what it is. but sometimes when they find out it's 260hp they take it with surprise
It's 248hp by todays standards per the EPA if the car was being sold today. That said when I had my 6 speed, everyone knew how much power my car had.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by A418t81
After modding cars intended on being relatively slow, and cars designed for anything you can throw at them, it's more rewarding modding the fast cars. In the end, the slow cars are still relatively slow in this age of hp wars, and pretty much every single system has to be upgraded to handle the modest power increases. The reliability also isn't as good. My old Evo makes nearly 500 whp and has for almost 70k on the stock motor which now has 110k on it. It was stock until 5k, and has made 300+ awhp since that point (over 100k now) and the compression is still as good as day one. Never needed anything other than brakes, tires, fuel, and oil. The stock clutch was replaced so I could launch at the track and was still fine.

Cars like the CL-S are best with light bolt-ons and to be enjoyed for what they are, IMO....Evo/STi/M series beaters they are not. That said, I like my CL-S as much as my GT-R, just for different reasons

Evo and GT-R typical. Great cars, but anyone can make and drive those cars fast. Good for ego building.

It is just a different experience I guess. Those cars everyone expects you to be fast and you see them at every track day. Any shop can just buy bolt on stuff in 1 day and slap it on, set.

For me the cl will be more rewarding because noone expects you to be fast and its fun beating rwd/awd cars in a fwd honda that noone even knows about.

Alot of the parts have to be custom made or matched up from other cars so its harder to get these cars track ready imo. Harder usually means more rewarding for me.

I originally bought the cl for dd use, but am now trying to make it track car. I am more concerned just about improving my driving skill tho.

Are you really saying naturally aspirated honda/acura's are unreliable?
"we’ve got a number of things going for us. Our Acura TSX package is tried and true and very reliable. Even though we will be competing against cars with more horsepower, we believe that the agility and lighter weight of our racecar, coupled with the reliability of the Acura, will give our challengers a tough time. We’re going to be clicking off the laps during the course of the season on tracks we’re very familiar with."

As for fwd honda's not being able to be fast/compete; they use the civic in Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge ST(street tuner) class. Stock bodied cars. The civics always do well and have won championship last few years against cobalt ss, bmw 3 series, rx-8 etc.

Also they use the tsx in SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GTS class. It uses a 2.4 liter N/A honda engine vs camaro, mustang, evo, porsche, etc. with turbos and v-8's and they have won 9 championships.

Here is a quote from Peter Cunninghams blog on why he races honda/acura's.

"I race an Acura TSX and, in 2011, I’ll be doing my best to defend my SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GTS Championship.

Last year was the first year of the GTS category, and I won the Drivers’ title while securing an unprecedented ninth World Challenge Manufacturers’ Championship for Acura. The competition is going to be tougher this year, though, as new competitors come into the class.

Last year’s title was my sixth in World Challenge and the 13th World Challenge Drivers’ Championship for my team, RealTime Racing. There were other successes before that, though. I began the team as a small effort for myself in ice racing, where we won three titles in Hondas. We then won an SCCA PRO Rally Championship for Acura before moving to World Challenge.

Since that first ice racing effort in 1987, my team has raced Honda or Acura products. When I first started ice racing, I knew that a good choice for an automobile would be a Honda CRX Si. I knew it had the agility because I had been autocrossing a Civic Si. I saw the light from the first day I drove my Civic around an autocross course. I had run other makes in autocrossing and road racing, but getting to know the Civic Si in 1986 made me a believer in the Honda product.

In World Challenge, I won Touring Car titles in a Honda Prelude, an Acura Integra Type R and two generations of the Acura TSX. I also won a GT championship in an NSX in 1997. I’ve competed in other series, driving for other teams, in Honda products as well, including the IMSA Firestone Firehawk Series, the CART North American Touring Car Championship in an Accord and, most recently, the N.A.S.A. 25 Hours of Thunderhill in a CR-Z.

But for the coming season, we’re coming back to the World Challenge GTS Championship in a pair of Acura TSXs. The World Challenge series is touted to be the premier series in North America for production-based sports cars and sports sedans. It has a sprint format with no pit stops, so it’s 45 minutes of no-holds-barred racing—from a standing start.

The series revamped its categories last season and created the GTS category, to which we moved from Touring Car. Our prospects this season look a little tougher because, in its sophomore season, the category will have more diversity and certainly more strong efforts from other teams. In particular, we’ve heard of a couple of hotshoes in Camaros and Mustangs that are going to be giving us fits out there. That’s in addition to some Porsches and Mitsubishi Evolutions. That’s a lot of turbo and V8 power against our 2.4-liter,normally aspirated four-cylinder Acura engines.

Fortunately our entire team is back for 2011. I’ll be driving the No. 1 and Nick Esayian will be piloting the No. 34 TSX. Our top-notch crew is back, too, including Nathan Bonneau as team manager; Paul Truess as crew chief; Curt Jung as engineer; Michael Busalacchi, building our engines and serving as car chief for the No.1; and Troy Wenzel, who is car chief for the No. 34 in addition to building our transmissions. We also have a special crew member who flies in for the races, Peter Luiz. Pete’s weekday job is in Auto Engineering at American Honda, and we’re lucky to have him around.

In addition, we’ve had great support from Michael Kinstle at Honda Performance Development. I’ve known Mike since he was my engineer in the North American Touring Car Championship back in 1996. He went on to work in Formula 1 for BAR Honda for a number of years before returning to HPD. To have him involved with our program has been a real homecoming and his work has been invaluable on the engineering side.

In race trim, our engines make upwards of 275hp, up from 201 stock, all using the unmodified production intake manifold and cylinder head. Being a production-based racing series, there isn’t much you can do to modify the cars in World Challenge. Most of it is safety related, but we can change springs, shocks, add bigger brakes and do a little engine work. All cars in the series will be running the Pirelli P-Zero racing slick for the first time in 2011, so the challenge will be to maximize the performance of your particular car on this new tire compared to the next guy.

Our strong team should give us an edge with that. It’s certainly our goal to win the championship again, and while that’s going to be a difficult proposition, we’ve got a number of things going for us. Our Acura TSX package is tried and true and very reliable. Even though we will be competing against cars with more horsepower, we believe that the agility and lighter weight of our racecar, coupled with the reliability of the Acura, will give our challengers a tough time. We’re going to be clicking off the laps during the course of the season on tracks we’re very familiar with."

Last edited by brian6speed; 02-03-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by thevikas87
they never guess engine size correctly, and yes, they underestimate it, and then they're like "damn."
Almost all my friends are V8 American-muscle-if-you-don't-drive-American-you're-an-idiot kind of people, but they all thought my CL had a 4cyl until one day I was changing my oil and they saw the "3.2 VTEC" on the engine. Way more respect now lol. Plus they all think it's great that it's so classy but also just a little sporty.

And wow...you have a GT-R and still have a CL...that's just awesome props to you!

Last edited by CLassy02; 02-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 PM
shifting at 7k

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
^lol the CL is basically an American car. Japanese engineered, Ohio built. Yup.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OakTre

And wow...you have a GT-R and still have a CL...that's just awesome props to you!
Lol, unlike most of you guys, I'm a newbie. I specifically picked up a 6MT CL-S for my daily about 6 months ago. I wanted something cheap, reliable, peppy, with decent fuel econ. Fit the bill perfectly. I like the car a lot
Old 02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OakTre
Almost all my friends are V8 American-muscle-if-you-don't-drive-American-you're-an-idiot kind of people, but they all thought my CL had a 4cyl until one day I was changing my oil and they saw the "3.2 VTEC" on the engine. Way more respect now lol. Plus they all think it's great that it's so classy but also just a little sporty.

tell your friends that they are rednecks
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by azeezp13
Thats sick! Heavy modded and you're right you definitely got him on the perfect gears!
Originally Posted by zeta
lol, true. There is just enough range there to raise eyebrows in some that overestimate their game.

One important key I have found, though, is being able to anticipate when the other driver is going to throw down. That in itself will give you more competitive advantage, coupled with getting that all important shift to third fast and correct. Especially from a roll, when the deck is stacked agianst you in regards to cubic inches.

Thanks guys - couldn't agree with you more. I would have gotten my ass handed to me from a dig.

I was wondering if the owner of the M3 was at the Dealer the next day bitching about getting a lemon
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Thanks guys - couldn't agree with you more. I would have gotten my ass handed to me from a dig.

I was wondering if the owner of the M3 was at the Dealer the next day bitching about getting a lemon
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537141
civicdrivr (02-04-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

this is exactly what they think about CL thanks for link...

reality hits u hard bro
Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 PM
brahs be jelly

This guy is a dick for modding up a POS CL Type S, a dick for bothering people on the street and on the internet with his misplaced fantasies, and a dick for being such a stubborn bull-headed tool. He's literally three dicks in one. A god-damn dick tri-force or something. Gosh, it's like a one man circle jerk in that guys world.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 AM

I remember the thread when that member posted that on here
Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Lone Wolf

Everything just comes down to people building up their own egos. It reminds me of reading gaming forums with Xbox vs ps3 fanboys. My friend is like that but he has an Audi. He thinks Audi is the best, and their awd system is so much more advanced than any other companies. All he does is bash Honda and praise Audi when I am around, yet my car is faster than his s4

It is also funny how people who used to own the cl and said good things during ownership; then they sell it and start talking trash and promoting their new car, especially the BMW and Audi snobs.

They all have little dick syndrome and need a car to make up for that. They spend time arguing and comparing penis size instead of just enjoying themselves and whatever car they have.

Last edited by brian6speed; 02-04-2012 at 05:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brian6speed:
civicdrivr (02-05-2012), StreetKA (02-06-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
at the end of the day the guy who is happiest is the real winner. no matter what car u have eventually you get use to it and start wanting more of something, there is always better. some people will never truely be happy because they'll always want something else instead of being happy with what they got.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetKA
tell your friends that they are rednecks
Lol they are. I go to school out in western Missouri, not a whole lot out here. Without the university the town is kind of lame.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Lone Wolf

This might be slighty off topic. In reference to the comments of why mod or track a fwd car: The Fwing and Fwing 2.0 fwd builds are the 2 builds I have been most impressed by in the last 5 years. They keep pushing the boundaries of how fast fwd can be, and pretty much have fwd record at every track they run. 2500 lb weight, front wing, 1100 hp, 18"x12" wheels w/305mm tires,custom dual wishbone setup up front, etc.

http://www.pasmag.com/features/rides...-2011-scion-tc
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 AM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
My friends all go "nice job ypu bought a honda with acura badges . "
My buddy Dom drives a 03' Ford Focus SVT with intake and a catback and i still walk away from him in my stock autotragic. Its great , although my stock suspension doesnt hold its own in corners nearly aswell as his.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by azeezp13
^lol the CL is basically an American car. Japanese engineered, Ohio built. Yup.
Actually, American-engineered as well. There isn't a JDM Acura CL. :america:

Tell that to your Canadian-built, Australian-developed Camaro friends.
civicdrivr (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
brahs be jelly

Everything just comes down to people building up their own egos. It reminds me of reading gaming forums with Xbox vs ps3 fanboys. My friend is like that but he has an Audi. He thinks Audi is the best, and their awd system is so much more advanced than any other companies. All he does is bash Honda and praise Audi when I am around, yet my car is faster than his s4

It is also funny how people who used to own the cl and said good things during ownership; then they sell it and start talking trash and promoting their new car, especially the BMW and Audi snobs.

They all have little dick syndrome and need a car to make up for that. They spend time arguing and comparing penis size instead of just enjoying themselves and whatever car they have.
Don't feel too bad man. BMW owners hate everyone, even other BMW owners. I like to check out e90post just for threads like these.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644737