Do I need Diamond Kote?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 08:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need Diamond Kote?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for answering all my questions, especially the black versus silver one!

Looks like we'll be going black. In the past when we've bought new cars we've had a paint protector like Diamond Kote put on it (my '93 MX-6 still looks great). Is that necessary with this car? My hubby seems to remember reading it already has a clear coat on it.

I've also read many posts on Zaino. Is that all we need to use instead????? If so, to my Canuck friends here, anywhere I can get it in Vancouver?

Karen
Old 03-15-2002, 08:09 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do I need Diamond Kote?

Originally posted by karenteix

Looks like we'll be going black.

Karen

And once you go black...

Anyway, about Zaino - that's just if you have a lot of time on your hands and like to get a good workout when you wash/polish/wax your car (unless you get the new Zaino that dries really quickly... then you don't have to worry about having a lot of time on your hands.

I think if you got a clear bra on the front end it would help a lot with chips and scratches. Other than that and washing it every week or two and using Meguiar's polish/wax should be enough to keep your car nice and shiny and clean.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Keepin' it Gangsta

Originally Posted by karenteix
Hi everyone,

My hubby seems to remember reading it already has a clear coat on it.

Karen
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that the diamond kote is the same as a clear coat. I don't know what the difference is, but my parents have diamond kote on all of their cars, and they all stay a hell of a lot shinier <---Is that a word? than mine.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Yes it is necessary, the dealer needs more of your money!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:25 PM
rjp
CL-S Owner

I bought a Celica back in 1990 and, as part of the protection package, had Diamond Kote applied; included in the package was a cleaner/restorer with instructions to apply it once a year. What I later learned is that the initial application and the cleaner/restorer it is actually the same thing – you are basically applying a polymer wax once a year (just had to pay way more for the first coat). I’ve personally always liked the stuff and used it for 14 years (13 with the Celica and the first year with the CLS).

After reading about Zaino, on this forum and others, I decided to give it a try. As much as I liked Diamond Kote, I like Zaino even more. It went on easier / came off easier and lasted about twice as long (about six months). Because I have a black car, I applied two coats (Z5 to minimize the swirl marks / Z2 for the shine); you may decide that’s just not necessary (or not enough). If you do go down that road, just check out www.zaino.ca (the only Canadian distributor).

Just my two cents worth