Discontinung cl for a joke like the tsx

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TSX is Mazda 6 competition. In Europe the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord (what the TSX is) are direct competition. It's only an Acura here.

Why does a 4-cylinder, 200hp FWD car have dual exhausts bigger than most all cars is beyond me?

It's a nice car (like a Q45) but no industry leader or anything. It's like the M45, basically a gap filler in Acura's lineup.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mattg
you're a little late with that, Zap.

was working, sorry
Old 06-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura TSX is Mazda 6 competition. In Europe the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord (what the TSX is) are direct competition. It's only an Acura here.

Aside from the power the mazda 6 doesn't come close of value. Please, you can't use price to group cars together.

Mazda 6 v. Accord
Old 06-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Originally posted by skinsfan202
Sorry Pro. I didn't realize it. I didn't know you were one of us. So what do you think of the switch from the CL to the TSX how do they compare, when they were both new? Let me know what you think.

( :o ) X (uhmm, a VERY high number)

U make psychos looks normal
Old 06-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Zapata
Aside from the power the mazda 6 doesn't come close of value. Please, you can't use price to group cars together.

Mazda 6 v. Accord
the 6 is one of the most comparible cars to the tsx - performance, features, price, and size. just because it isn't under a luxury label doesn't mean it can't be compared.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I've always said that the TSX will be a hard sell.

Think about it-- for the price you have to pay compared with what you actually are getting, there are far better values out there.

I really think Acura is gonna have a hard time selling these things once the novelty wears off.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Tom2

Think about it-- for the price you have to pay compared with what you actually are getting, there are far better values out there.

I really think Acura is gonna have a hard time selling these things once the novelty wears off.
yes and no

the TSX is a new toy for some people and since its hot it will be selling at a premium. once the sales start to decline and levels off you will see the TSX selling for crazy discounts like 4-5k off MSRP

Im actually surprised that some people actually pay 29k+ for this car. for 29k you can get a tl-p=more room and more power.

i cant justify paying 29k for a 4 door FWD i4!!!!

sidemarker
Old 06-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by sidemarker

Im actually surprised that some people actually pay 29k+ for this car. for 29k you can get a tl-p=more room and more power.

i cant justify paying 29k for a 4 door FWD i4!!!!

sidemarker
There really isn't 4 or 5 grand to play with on the prices.

It seems Acura has the invoice prices about $2500 to $3000 less that MSRP. It would take huge dealer and manufacturer discounts to sell the TSX at $5000 off sticker.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ghander
anyone have FOB V 2.0 translations?
OK whatever:sqntfawk: not try to start a fight but REALLY What t F is your point?
Old 06-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by VTECPOWER
well some ppl keep saying how tsx good this and that...and should go testdrive. my neighbor(old fat lady) just bought a silver tsx...check the car out. uhh i dunno... i really don't like tsx!! After having CL(my 1st car), I guess I will only get honda and never ever buy ACURA again if i need a car !!!

btw, u r a chinese right?? hehe andylau hahaha

read your quote again and you will get his point.........its called english, try it sometime
Old 06-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think most TSX buyers did "think about it" and decided that it was a good value. For $27K, you get a loaded car that can actually be compared to the C class, the 3 series and the A4. It's a contender in this class. And I think when people start to notice the TSX more, the sales will go up even more.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:41 PM

Aside from the power the mazda 6 doesn't come close of value. Please, you can't use price to group cars together
I just said, overseas they are equal competitors. The ONLY difference is the car is called a HONDA ACCORD over there and it's an "Acura" here. No other difference.

June 2003 EVO
They pitted:

The Toyota Avensis
Ford Mondeo
Honda Accord
Vauxhall Vectra

Against one another and the Accord won (TSX). They liked the engine, interior ride and handling and value, did not like the safety, trunk space and styling was bland.

The Mazda 6 is winning comparos or coming in 2nd in most. Reviews here and overseas have been fantastic.

It's a good car but the way I see it marketed here is a joke.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I just said, overseas they are equal competitors. The ONLY difference is the car is called a HONDA ACCORD over there and it's an "Acura" here. No other difference.
Well ... if you REALLY wanna be accurate ... they are not the same car. But your point is well taken. I think the TSX competes with the M6 whether or not Acura wants to admit it, but this is a competition that they would win handily. If you look at crank HP/TQ the I4 in the TSX puts down about as much as the M6 !! That is a sad statement for the M6 ....
Old 06-05-2003, 02:03 AM
Pro

Originally posted by provench
Well ... if you REALLY wanna be accurate ... they are not the same car. But your point is well taken. I think the TSX competes with the M6 whether or not Acura wants to admit it, but this is a competition that they would win handily. If you look at crank HP/TQ the I4 in the TSX puts down about as much as the M6 !! That is a sad statement for the M6 ....
I'm curious what you would think of a EX V-6 Accord coupe vs. the TSX when focusing purely on a "drivers car" ??

The Coupe is on the same wheelbase & weighs the same & only gives up 3cubic ft. of space inside, basicly 2in of legroom in the back seat YET
it's got a 240hp 216lb-ft V-6 & a 6spd manual trans driving the front wheels on the same double wishbone chassis ?
MSRP with NAV is $28k

How many TSX buyers are really concerned about back seat room ?

The sedan comparison is a little interesting too. Acura figures 70% of TSX's will be the 5spd automatics.

A friend of mine was looking at the TSX but he just bought a EX V-6 sedan with NAV for $26k+tt&l.

I'd concede the TSX looks better from the front & might have a slightly nicer interior but bang for the buck the Accord is hard to beat.
Plenty of aftermarket stuff to make it handle better too.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Racer

Thanks for the comparo Provench, I guess that you having owned both cars would be the best person to say how the two cars match up. NO BAD BLOOD.
Zapata I was under a different name in 2K1, then football season rolled around and I chANGED MY NAME so I 've been around for a while please don't call me a NOOBIE. Thank You
Old 06-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cnatra
I'm curious what you would think of a EX V-6 Accord coupe vs. the TSX when focusing purely on a "drivers car" ??
I guess I would say that for me a 2-door was not an option since I need to be able to get 2 car seats in and out of the back seat when the Odyssey is not avail So that is why I focused on 4-door cars. There is no doubt that the AV6 coupe is a great value as well and unforunately seems to be the CL-S replacement (for now). To be honest I happen to actually like the overall looks inside and out of the TSX ... but to each his own.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro

Originally posted by provench
I guess I would say that for me a 2-door was not an option since I need to be able to get 2 car seats in and out of the back seat when the Odyssey is not avail So that is why I focused on 4-door cars. There is no doubt that the AV6 coupe is a great value as well and unforunately seems to be the CL-S replacement (for now). To be honest I happen to actually like the overall looks inside and out of the TSX ... but to each his own.
An Odyssey owner ??

I just bought one in April for my wife & new baby.
That thing is much easier with a car seat than the CL-S !!

You ever go here www.odyclub.com
Old 06-06-2003, 02:35 AM
I love my G sedan

Seems like many people are criticizing TSX for being slow........go buy a Lancer Evolution if you really want to be fast, it is too much faster than 3.2CL TYPE S. But then they would again blame Evo for having cheap interior.......no matter what, they just think CL-S is the best of the best...among japanese cars at least.......the ones who criticize TSX for being slow should do the same thing to BMW 325i and Audi A4 1.8T. These two little things are slow too. Then, talking about overprice, 325i is the one to shoot at.
BMW sold 3,715 325i and 1,249 325xi last month, so totally 4,964 2.5L version of the 3-series sedan were sold, and at $29k this car has less useful things than a Accord EX. People are willing to pay $35k for this little 6 banger, then why not paying $29k for a big 4 banger when these two engines only have a 0.1L displacement difference.

I don't own a TSX and don't plan to, but just hope people to be a little bit fair to this car.......no matter how you look at it you can't use the word "ugly" to describe it.....

Prejudice is further away from the fact than ignorance.....
Old 06-06-2003, 09:37 AM
CL 6 speeder

Regardless of what some enthusiasts think about the TSX, Acura must sell this car to the great uneducated public (after the novelty wears off). For $29.000 most will want luxary and low end torque equipped with an automatic transmission. They will test drive and come away dissappointed. The car is priced about $5000 too high.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's funny how only those who have never actually seen it or those who have only driven it for a couple minutes say that it's overpriced. Yet those who do extended tests on it (people who drive nice cars for a living) say that it's a great value. Every review I've seen of this car calls it a value leader in its class. When I test drove it, I found it to be a great car for the price...and I'm "educated"!
Old 06-06-2003, 12:17 PM
CL 6 speeder

the "uneducated" was describing their knowledge about the details of automobles not their social class.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's what I mean, I'm educated on the car and its specks and I still think it's a good value for its class.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

seems like a lot of people defend the car but wouldn't actually buy the car.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:36 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,953 Likes on 2,637 Posts
loan me the cash, I'll buy it
Old 06-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would get one if I were in the market for a smaller sports sedan...if I were to choose between the C Class, A4, 3 series or TSX. I would pick the TSX. The issue here is, I need a midsized so I'll be looking at the 5 series, A6, '04 TL, etc. I think most people here wouldn't buy the car because it's not designed for us. It's not designed for those who already have something bigger. That's why it's called "entry level".
Old 06-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Safety Car

entry level 'luxury' and it does very well at that, its just the other claims that seem to be a stretch. saying ' it competes well against the other entry level cars' doesn't mean much, the entry level luxury market(~26k) pretty much sucks ass. the german cars are the worst with their prices/lack of standard equipment. we'll see if or when any other japanese companies build an entry level car, cause acura really has no competition in this segment they've created. lexus has the resources and infiniti has the balls, hopefully they'll join in.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by heyitsme
seems like a lot of people defend the car but wouldn't actually buy the car.
there are a few reasons for this:

1) they're already happy with their current car
2) they can't/won't afford one
3) they're in the market for a car in a completely different market segment, like AcuraFan
Old 06-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
Seems like many people are criticizing TSX for being slow........go buy a Lancer Evolution if you really want to be fast, it is too much faster than 3.2CL TYPE S. But then they would again blame Evo for having cheap interior.......no matter what, they just think CL-S is the best of the best...among japanese cars at least.......the ones who criticize TSX for being slow should do the same thing to BMW 325i and Audi A4 1.8T. These two little things are slow too. Then, talking about overprice, 325i is the one to shoot at.
BMW sold 3,715 325i and 1,249 325xi last month, so totally 4,964 2.5L version of the 3-series sedan were sold, and at $29k this car has less useful things than a Accord EX. People are willing to pay $35k for this little 6 banger, then why not paying $29k for a big 4 banger when these two engines only have a 0.1L displacement difference.

I don't own a TSX and don't plan to, but just hope people to be a little bit fair to this car.......no matter how you look at it you can't use the word "ugly" to describe it.....

Prejudice is further away from the fact than ignorance.....

Old 06-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp

.....BMW sold 3,715 325i and 1,249 325xi last month, so totally 4,964 2.5L version of the 3-series sedan were sold, and at $29k this car has less useful things than a Accord EX. People are willing to pay $35k for this little 6 banger, then why not paying $29k for a big 4 banger when these two engines only have a 0.1L displacement difference.....

One main thing you seem to be missing-- When it comes to the entry-level 3 series, many people buy them just because they are a BMW. Don't get me wrong- the 3 series is a good car with excellent driving dynamics, but there are better cars available for much less $$$$....but they don't have a BMW roundel on the hood.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Shogun Assassin

One main thing you seem to be missing-- When it comes to the entry-level 3 series, many people buy them just because they are a BMW. Don't get me wrong- the 3 series is a good car with excellent driving dynamics, but there are better cars available for much less $$$$....but they don't have a BMW roundel on the hood.
yep yep...nothing sadder than some asswipe trying to pimp out his 323i
Old 06-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Regardless of what some enthusiasts think about the TSX, Acura must sell this car to the great uneducated public (after the novelty wears off). For $29.000 most will want luxary and low end torque equipped with an automatic transmission. They will test drive and come away dissappointed. The car is priced about $5000 too high.
So what are "all these other cars" for $29K (with Navi by the way) that give you all this for $29K? I think somebody is in a dream world ... yeah ... let's just price the TSX as much as a base RSX ... oh boy By the way - did I mention that I got my non-Navi 6MT TSX for $26K out the door (trade in negated TAX - so about $1K off MSRP)? So if you want you can try to compare with that ...

I want an '04 TL for $29K ... but that's just not in the cards now is it?

In either case ... I don't think Acura is in the charity business just yet ...
Old 06-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Unregistered Member

Acura is practically giving away the '03 TL these days.

A friend of mine got a price of less than $30K for a TL-S Navi the other day. I'd buy that before I'd get a TSX, even if the TL-S is automatic trans only.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Just my $0.02, I checked one out at the dealer yesterday when picking up my car and I was pleasantly surprised. Front seat interior room was on par with my wife's now gone E46 328i but I believe the rear seats had a bit less room. The one thing that stuck me right away was the interior materials used, the upper dash, lower dash and carpet seemed identical to the BMW. The way the accessory compartments opened and closed had the same look and feel of the BMW. Even the leather was similar. Out back the trunk was a little bigger with a larger opening also.

In the entire car is not bad for what it is meant to be from what I could tell. I would have to drive one to see how bad the torque deficit is though.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:06 PM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by AcuraFan
That's what I mean, I'm educated on the car and its specks and I still think it's a good value for its class.
This is the point I am trying to make. Most buyers will not appriciate the TSX ability to to rev high with good torque. They will not understand why the car does not have gobs of low end torque for $29,000.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:11 PM

The car is not bad. It is a nice car. But it is being marketed badly. I just saw the ad, NO 4-cylinder sounds like the TSX in the commercial on T.V. It sounded like a damn GTO on the ad with flowmasters.

The ads in the magazines say "a TRUE SPORT SEDAN". No it is not.

They need to advertise it for what it is. A nice entry level sedan.

It's like the ads for the Nissan Altima trying to drift, or the new Grand Prix with the FACTORY red calipers....all posers.

Factory POSING is now the norm. Yikes....

Once the guy ain't acting like it's a M3, what is wrong with the car? It's solid. It is RWD, it's light. True, the TSX BLOWS it away with equipment but it's not a bad car.

BTW, they tested the TSX vs the C280 and Saab 93 and it came in 2nd. IN Motor Trend. No biggie, just a FYI on some reading. Hell they tested the SC 430 vs the XLR and SL 500 and the Lex came in 3rd.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:12 PM

The car is not bad. It is a nice car. But it is being marketed badly. I just saw the ad, NO 4-cylinder sounds like the TSX in the commercial on T.V. It sounded like a damn GTO on the ad with flowmasters.

The ads in the magazines say "a TRUE SPORT SEDAN". No it is not.

They need to advertise it for what it is. A nice entry level sedan.

It's like the ads for the Nissan Altima trying to drift, or the new Grand Prix with the FACTORY red calipers....all posers.

Factory POSING is now the norm. Yikes....

Once the guy ain't acting like it's a M3, what is wrong with the car? It's solid. It is RWD, it's light. True, the TSX BLOWS it away with equipment but it's not a bad car.

BTW, they tested the TSX vs the C280 and Saab 93 and it came in 2nd. IN Motor Trend. No biggie, just a FYI on some reading. Hell they tested the SC 430 vs the XLR and SL 500 and the Lex came in 3rd.

But Lexus ain't marketing the SC 430 as a freaking sports car.

BTW, even the Koreans have caught up. THere is almost no such thing as a bad car nowadays. Try saying that 20 years ago.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:35 PM
CL 6 speeder

I got my 03 CL 6 speed, for 27.6K. Much more value in my opinion. (does not include tax, title and tags)
Old 06-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Shogun Assassin

I was talking about those guys who think they're pimps because their car has a BMW badge, even if it's a base-model with no options...sorry, I should have been more specific

I have no doubt they're built solid, but I believe that if you're going to get a 3-series, at least get a 330....I guess it's just the snob in me :P