Dipstick level, I feel like a dipstick for asking

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Manny Tranny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dipstick level, I feel like a dipstick for asking

I'm no mechanical nutty so I have to ask. My CL's oil level is between 1/8 and 1/4" above the full mark. My Highlander (with only 1000 miles on it) is between 1/8 and 1/4" above the full mark. Both measurements were taken when the car was sitting for at least 24 hours.

Should I see the dealer?
Old 09-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How level is your parking spot? My garage must list a bit to one side -- when I check the level in the garage at home it's repeatedly just a bit below the top dot. When I check the oil at my work parking space, it's right on the dot.

I've been very obsessive about checking my oil level as I had a consumption issue during my first few months of ownership (which no longer seems to be an issue). I've noticed that this car's oil level is very sensitive to how level the car is.

If you're not having any other problems I wouldn't worry about the oil level. It doesn't sound high enough to be a real over-fill situation. Did you do the oil change or did the dealer? Our car takes 4.6 quarts with the filter on - it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer just dumped 5 quarts in, thus the high level.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Manny Tranny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey
How level is your parking spot? My garage must list a bit to one side -- when I check the level in the garage at home it's repeatedly just a bit below the top dot. When I check the oil at my work parking space, it's right on the dot.

I've been very obsessive about checking my oil level as I had a consumption issue during my first few months of ownership (which no longer seems to be an issue). I've noticed that this car's oil level is very sensitive to how level the car is.

If you're not having any other problems I wouldn't worry about the oil level. It doesn't sound high enough to be a real over-fill situation. Did you do the oil change or did the dealer? Our car takes 4.6 quarts with the filter on - it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer just dumped 5 quarts in, thus the high level.
Slimey

The Highlander was on a level surface and my CL was on an slight incline. I'll have to re-check on a flat surface. The Highlander is brand new so what ever the factory put in there must be appropriate. My CL just had an oil change at the dealer (I would hope these guys know what they're doing).

It just concerned me because it wasn't right on the DOT! Maybe these newer cars have allowances (both above and below the dot) so we don't have to worry? I'm not sure how many more ounces of oil this amounts to so I figured I'd ask around.

Thanks for you help.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:26 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just keep an eye on it and let the dealer know when you take it in next time. They'll probably do this -->