did u know changing your own oil can void your warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did u know changing your own oil can void your warranty

yup just about anything u do to your car like changing your oil. If you do any maintance work on your car you have to keep all records like oil and oil filter purchase reciepts or a dealership could just technically void your warranty. Even if you miss a maintance interval a dealership could refuse to do warranty work on the car. they like to call it "preventive maintance". aftermarket speakers or lighting can void the electrical warranty like your alternator and even not washing your car can void certain warranties.

i am tired of reading all this crap about how comptech this and comptech that will preserve your warranty. all dealerships are different. some are nice and some are an ass. sometimes it boils down to the service rep or even the service manager. if you are scared about modding your car or brand to go with then go check with your dealership.

but u know what. I dont give a f*ck.

sidemarker
Old 10-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Banned

Re: did u know changing your own oil can void your warranty

Dane man calm down. heheheh.

People who spend 27-32k on a new car at least want to keep the warranty in tach and not have to worry about the dealers voiding it. People are just being careful so they don't have that happen!

My warranty on my Maxima was voided with no proof. They said it was raced and it was bone stock. lol

Originally posted by sidemarker
yup just about anything u do to your car like changing your oil. If you do any maintance work on your car you have to keep all records like oil and oil filter purchase reciepts or a dealership could just technically void your warranty. Even if you miss a maintance interval a dealership could refuse to do warranty work on the car. they like to call it "preventive maintance". aftermarket speakers or lighting can void the electrical warranty like your alternator and even not washing your car can void certain warranties.

i am tired of reading all this crap about how comptech this and comptech that will preserve your warranty. all dealerships are different. some are nice and some are an ass. sometimes it boils down to the service rep or even the service manager. if you are scared about modding your car or brand to go with then go check with your dealership.

but u know what. I dont give a f*ck.

sidemarker
Old 10-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: did u know changing your own oil can void your warranty

Originally posted by SilverBullet
Dane man calm down. heheheh.

People who spend 27-32k on a new car at least want to keep the warranty in tach and not have to worry about the dealers voiding it. People are just being careful so they don't have that happen!

My warranty on my Maxima was voided with no proof. They said it was raced and it was bone stock. lol
exactly the dealership can void your warranty for anything.

i wish service could be just as good just like how sales reps try to kiss your ass when u try to buy a car

sidemarker
Old 10-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Mugen Racing Team

dealership are lisence rapist and robbers....
Old 10-09-2002, 07:01 PM
Race Director

It's all in the writing. Read your warranty carefully and you'll have all the information you need. It was written by lawyers, what do you expect. It was written that way to prevent abuse and misuse, not to rip off the customers. The Government has since modified the wording in warranties and made allowances and restrictions to keep the customer protected as much as they need protection and not one iota more. And there is ample proof that the Government's efforts are good and plenty because countless number of people have made good use of their warranty, me included.

Nobody is going to hand you a blanket warranty to protect you from yourself and anything and everything you can do. And you shouldn't expect one. A car is personal property, just like a toaster; an expensive toaster. What you should expect is how to know your rights and exercise under the law in case you are wronged. There are several statues and laws in place to protect you as the consumer. All you have to do is know how to find them and know how to read, else hire a lawyer to do it for you. It surprises me how much people want everyone else to go the long mile to protect them and look out for them, but they won't put in the [little] time and effort to help themselves. Help yourself first....if you have windex on your rearview mirror lens and the dealership is so stupid as to deny you warranty service for a rearview mirror that won't dim, go to fu*king court.

A warranty is not the last word. There is arbitration, there is court. You have lots of recourse. And if you are right, you will win. If you are wrong, you won't. At least that's the way it is suppose to be.

Welcome to the car warranty world. It's ALWAYS been this way and ALWAYS will be.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. sometimes dealers mechs are stupid as for example the guy forgets to torque your oil draining plug... You lose oil, see the low engine indicators is on and then go back to your dealer and request a new engine.... then good luck

If you are the stupid guy who changed the oil and forgot to torque it back... then you fucked up your car and you are screwed!!
Old 10-09-2002, 07:24 PM
duy
Racer

How pounds are you supposed to torque the oil drain plug to? Also, do you know how many pounds it would be for the wheels as well? 7500 miles is just around the corner!
Old 10-09-2002, 07:59 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the drain plug torque it by hand until it stops.. than 3/4 turn and you are done. for the wheels it is 80 lbft.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW, there is no such thing as Voiding a Warranty in general. A drivetrain warranty can be voided if mods are added but that does not include the power seats... However, you should always keep your reciepts and perform the regular maintence. That is regardless of who does it and the manufacturer can't say who. Always keep your own records.

In years of performing my own maintence I have never been rejected when a true issue was at stake. But nor did I ever try to have warranty service when something was my fault.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Instructor

wow

sidemarker those are some pretty bold and informative statements...dude just chill and tell moms i ran out of lube so no anal tonight aiight son.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: wow

Originally posted by Dafmann
sidemarker those are some pretty bold and informative statements...dude just chill and tell moms i ran out of lube so no anal tonight aiight son.
you are so cool dude

hopefully she will be ready to go tomorrow and make sure u dont forget the lube

she misses u

sidemarker
Old 10-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like someone has been reading the manuals

I especially liked the section "do not make any modifications that would change the height of your car, or install wheels and tires with a different overall diameter" - owners manual

Or "these warranties do not cover the failure of any part or accessory due to use of the vehicle in competion or racing events". - warranty manual

Not that anyone here would ever do any of those things
Old 10-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Race Director

It's a warrantee, not a guarantee.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
for the drain plug torque it by hand until it stops.. than 3/4 turn and you are done. for the wheels it is 80 lbft.
80 ft lbs! Really?

My dealership was hammering the nuts on with the impact wrench (145+ ft lbs -- my torque wrench maxed out before I could get a reading).

The cracked my McGard nuts (which, for the fun of it, broke off waaaayy in the well of my Enkei wheels). After drilling it out and replacing the stud, they pointed out the lock nuts weren't long enough, so that was the problem. They were right about the length, so I ate the $50 for the nuts, and then, this is priceless, they had the gall to try to charge me $125 to drill out and replace the stud!!!!

I had a little "discussion" with the girl (something about an incompetant shop hammer my nuts so hard -- yeh, that sounded fun, but it wasn't), so she pulled back the work order and handed me the keys.

And, after all the bitching about wrecking my nuts, they took the liberty to make sure they weren't overtight (I'm guessing about 20-40 ft lbs when I got home).

Morons.........:o :o
Old 10-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Drifting

80 lbs. is correct for the wheel lugs. I think it's the "filter" that is hand tighten and then an additional 3/4 turn.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:05 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

I don't even know why I was going to respond to this bullshit. I figure if they say my warranty is voided, they just lost a customer and then will have a lawsuit following me walking out the door. Have me spend 30K on a car then tell me that repairs won't be covered because I lost a receipt or didn't get serviced by them - I THINK NOT!!!