Did some research on pretty much all major tire brands...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 06:49 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RidinLow
Hey Scooter, just had a thought. If you're going to continue autoxing on all season tires, it won't be long before you kill the outer edge of the tread anyway, making them pretty useless in the snow.
u raise a good point, and i just had this convo last night with Ernie...here are my thoughts on auto-x...our stock tires have no sidewall protection since they're grand touring, so it's a bit softer to allow more absorbtion...after my first auto-x, my front sidewalls were pretty shot since i was running on stock suspension also...since im getting sways and prob springs this Spring, that'll help protect the tires a bit...some of the tires i listed have made sure the sidewalls are stiffer, stronger, and less likely to b rolled on when cornering sharply...and i'm not gonna b auto-x'ing every weekend either, maybe a handful of times this season coming up...so u combine those factors, and i think the tires will last a while...granted, auto-x'ing will hurt the sidewalls somewhat over time, i don't think ill have the car long enough to b a major factor, but i could b wrong on that one

if i'm in outer space somewhere in my thinking, PLEASE tell me...b/c i don't have the $$ to get another set anytime i want, and i think this set is going to last until the time i wind up selling the car (prob in another 3-4 years) since i don't put much milage on the car at all (still under 13K after 18.5 months).
Old 02-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Racer

I'm really amazed to hear so much bad-mouthing about the stock tires in the snow. I've driven the car in snow here in DC, in PA, and in NY. I've never had any problems...sure the VSA light comes on when you spin but you still move forward.

I'm not saying anything to anyone in this comment but the car is only as good as the person driving it. You can't drive like a bat out of hell in 6" of snow! Just my 2 cents.

I'm so over this whole debate about what tire to put on the car...I was told my more than one mechanic that you really have to watch putting a tire on that's too wide for the rim. You all may be more concerned about performance but I have to get to and from home/work with this car and I am not taking any chances.

Are the Michelin A/S any quieter than the stock tires?

Also the "correct" Dunlop SP 5000 for our car is the symmetrical pattern...which is a more expensive tire!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, with the Mich Pilot Sport A/S you will be able to:

- Take on bone-dry hairpin turns
- Confidently maneuver winter roads
- grip rain-soaked S-curves
- drive harder and farther
- stand up to aggressive corners and get maximum handling

why doesn't Acura make this tire as standard on the type-s??
The stock tires are touted as "the best ride comfort in our performance touring tires", a good fit for the cl-p.
The 225/50 looks like a good fit. Its a bit wider and taller, so may look a bit better in the wheelwells of a stock sprung car.

For noise, the sport-as is rated at 6, where the stock tire is rated at 8, so yes may be a bit more noisier.
Performance, the sport-as is 9 vs stock at 7.
For wet, the sport-as is 10 vs stock 7.
What is surprising is winter traction, the stock is 8 and the sport-as are 7??

http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog...pilotmxm4.html
http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog...otsportas.html
Old 02-14-2002, 11:50 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by sundance_gold
I'm really amazed to hear so much bad-mouthing about the stock tires in the snow. I've driven the car in snow here in DC, in PA, and in NY. I've never had any problems...sure the VSA light comes on when you spin but you still move forward.

I'm not saying anything to anyone in this comment but the car is only as good as the person driving it. You can't drive like a bat out of hell in 6" of snow! Just my 2 cents.

I'm so over this whole debate about what tire to put on the car...I was told my more than one mechanic that you really have to watch putting a tire on that's too wide for the rim. You all may be more concerned about performance but I have to get to and from home/work with this car and I am not taking any chances.

Are the Michelin A/S any quieter than the stock tires?

Also the "correct" Dunlop SP 5000 for our car is the symmetrical pattern...which is a more expensive tire!!!
u're missing the point...ok ok let me remind everyone y i created this post in the first place:

my first thought was ok, i live in NY where historically we've had barely any snow, but we've also had mountains of snow, so rather than risk it, error on the side of caution...AUTOMATICALLY, u rule out all tires except for all-season and winter tires...

next step...i, and others here, don't want the hassle of spending over $2G's getting rims and snow tires and swapping in and out every winter, so winter tires OUT, thus leaving ONLY all-seasons

next step...ok, what's the best performing all-season i can get, while at the same time, not sacrificing safety in rain and snow...in addition, how do these tires compare to stocks in wet weather and snow...in dry weather, i already know higher performance tires will b better.

right now, the Michelin's have my vote but still considering the Dunlops, Toyo's, and Yoko's.

so it's not like i was automatically thinking of a snow tire...my original thinking was to get performance tires, but my current surroundings throw a spin on the decision-making process...sure, if i was living in Vegas, where 330 days a year it's sunny, it's a no brainer...but where there's doubt in conditions, u have to go to all-seasons...but i still want a sporty performance all-season tire.

and i've decided i want a 225 series tire, which is fine for the rim width

i hope this makes a bit more sense/rehashes the search criteria
Old 02-14-2002, 11:57 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by EricL

For latest and greatest tech and snow -- Michelin A/S

For people who want a great tire with occasional (light) snow -- Yoko AVS dBs (Got these on wife's car and they are excellent for an all-season tire; IMO -- much better than the MXM4s)
Like I've said before, my bro has these on his 2000 max SE on a 17x7" rims in 225/50/17 ... he got them for 199 at costco. i guess that's a cheap price for them. He has had nothing but praise for them ...
Old 02-14-2002, 12:13 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by fbazakos

Like I've said before, my bro has these on his 2000 max SE on a 17x7" rims in 225/50/17 ... he got them for 199 at costco. i guess that's a cheap price for them. He has had nothing but praise for them ...
Fotis, just so that i'm clear on this (b/c im trying to get a tally goin), u're supporting the Michelins, right?? if u're supporting the Yoko's, your bro got ripped cuz they're like $140 each...so unless u tell me otherwise, ill mark the Michelin category and BTW, your bro got a real good deal on the Michelins at $199 a pop if those were the tires!! sorry bout the mixup, it's just i got confused in your post since both tires were mentioned
Old 02-14-2002, 12:34 PM
on bin laden

yeah i think the michelins are the way to go. i will probably buy the same ones, unless i get a set of summer rims.

i can pick them up at costco and send them to ya if that'll save you some money, just let me know.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Scooter

............... so winter tires OUT, thus leaving ONLY all-seasons

next step...ok, what's the best performing all-season i can get, while at the same time, not sacrificing safety in rain and snow...
Personally IMHO you are automatically sacrificing safety by using All Seasons in the snow. I can't see there being a tire which is well at performing in both rain and dry without sacrificing safety in the winter.

The fact that winter tires do exist, and are much safer in snow than all seasons automatically categorizes all season tires as less "safe", and therefore "sacrificing safety".

NOTE: I do know what you are asking and will consider this argument dead from here in, especially considering how biased my opinions are based on the area I live, and amount of snow I have to deal with.

ALSO!

Originally posted by Sundance_Gold

You must be talking about the nice white fluffy snow that so dreamingly falls during christmas, or the wet slushy snow which is nasty to walk through, but not an issue when driving..... because your obviously not talking about the 6"-36" that can fall in my backyard overnight, and then freeze creating a top layer of ice, and heavy packing snow underneath...... The kind of snow you need a snow tire for.

Your right about the VSA light coming on...... but I almost phoned my dealer because it wouldn't turn off. I would like to see you "still move forward." during winter at my house. Although driving "like a bat out of hell in 6" of snow!" is fun sometimes, I much prefer to just "move forward." which is, and was not possible with the All season tires that came on the car. I was lucky to move backwards a whole 3 feet back in to my driveway with the help of a few neighbours. Needless to say the next day I put Guardex tires on...... and once again am driving "like a bat out of hell"

Dave
Old 02-14-2002, 02:06 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by www.tourc.ca

The fact that winter tires do exist, and are much safer in snow than all seasons automatically categorizes all season tires as less "safe", and therefore "sacrificing safety".
my apologies...i wasn't clear on this point...when i said "sacrificing safety," what i meant was sacrificing safety compared to the stocks since im used to the stocks performance in the snow.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Bought the Pilot Sport A/S

I just picked up a set of Mich Pilot Sport A/S in 225/50-17 for my stock rims. I got them from Costco, they were $199 each plus $10 for mounting/balancing/valve-stem/road-hazard. They did a good job, no scratches, took about 40 minutes. I was going to go with the Toyo FZ4, but the winter report in this thread changed my mind.

I am storing the stock tires. When I am done with this car in a few years, I can put back on the stock tires instead of having to buy new. For all my other cars, I would wear out the stock tires to around 30-40k, spend several hundred on new tires, then trade the car in a year. This time I want to get my money out of the better tires :P

So far I only have 20 miles on them. They are a bit noisier than the stock tires, but this is comparing them to a set of stocks with 15,000 miles on them. I feel they should settle down once they get set on my suspension. If everything is quiet, you can here them a bit, but if you step on the gas, the stock exhaust note easily drowns them out.

Big improvement in handling. I haven't pushed them through the twisties yet, nor tried to spin them from a start. I took some turns a little quicker, definitely more grip and much more responsive steering.
I know I am comparing new tires to stocks with 15k on them, but from my memory they are much better than when I first added sways along with the stock tires.
The best way to describe them so far, would be an improvement in cornering similar to the gains in just adding comptech sway bars.

I'll have to get out a straight-edge, but it looks as though they are even with the amount the stock rims stick out. They look like they will protect the rim. These tires should have been the stock tires for the type-s.

What psi should I run these at? I currently have them at 36psi.

:P
Old 02-17-2002, 02:49 AM
'Cooter

Re: Bought the Pilot Sport A/S

Originally posted by fast_daddy_car
I just picked up a set of Mich Pilot Sport A/S in 225/50-17 for my stock rims. I got them from Costco, they were $199 each plus $10 for mounting/balancing/valve-stem/road-hazard. They did a good job, no scratches, took about 40 minutes. I was going to go with the Toyo FZ4, but the winter report in this thread changed my mind.

I am storing the stock tires. When I am done with this car in a few years, I can put back on the stock tires instead of having to buy new. For all my other cars, I would wear out the stock tires to around 30-40k, spend several hundred on new tires, then trade the car in a year. This time I want to get my money out of the better tires :P

So far I only have 20 miles on them. They are a bit noisier than the stock tires, but this is comparing them to a set of stocks with 15,000 miles on them. I feel they should settle down once they get set on my suspension. If everything is quiet, you can here them a bit, but if you step on the gas, the stock exhaust note easily drowns them out.

Big improvement in handling. I haven't pushed them through the twisties yet, nor tried to spin them from a start. I took some turns a little quicker, definitely more grip and much more responsive steering.
I know I am comparing new tires to stocks with 15k on them, but from my memory they are much better than when I first added sways along with the stock tires.
The best way to describe them so far, would be an improvement in cornering similar to the gains in just adding comptech sway bars.

I'll have to get out a straight-edge, but it looks as though they are even with the amount the stock rims stick out. They look like they will protect the rim. These tires should have been the stock tires for the type-s.

What psi should I run these at? I currently have them at 36psi.

:P
sounds great...im doin the same...just crossed 13K on my stocks today, so hopefully, i'll have 'em on by PAA meet...if u run the tires with a little less pressure, maybe there will b a little less noise...glad u enjoy the A/S's so much!!
Old 02-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Did some research on pretty much all major tire brands...

Originally posted by Scooter

Sumitomo HTR+
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/sumitomo/su_htrplus.jsp)
225/45/WR17 $97
235/40/WR17 $98
235/45/WR17 $101
Does anyone know anything about this tire? I'vee never heard of the maker. I'm curious to how this tire compares to the stock? It's so darn cheap compared to all the others.