Is the dealership lying to me about my transmission replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 10:18 AM
Resident DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the dealership lying to me about my transmission replacement?

Hi everyone,

As a few of you may know already, my car is at the Dealership, awaiting the arrival of a replacement transmission. I called my service rep this morning to make sure that they were going to install a new transmission -- that is, a brand new transmission...not a "rebuilt" transmission.

He told me that Acura never offers "brand new" transmissions. He said that what they do is send my tranmission to "wherever" and they use my original outer casing and just install new gears and everything inside the existing casing.

Is this right? Is this what other people have had done? Is this what people mean when they've been referring to "new" transmissions? This sounds more like a "rebuilt" transmission to me, but maybe that is something else entirely. If this is what a "new" transmission is, then that's fine, I just want to make sure I'm not getting shafted!

Does anyone knowledgable on this subject have any idea?

Thanks,

-skyeflye
Old 11-30-2001, 10:24 AM
Instructor

I believe everyone who gets the transmission replaced gets a rebuilt one. At least mine was replaced with a rebuilt one.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Yes that is correct. This was the case when I had my tranny replaced on my GS-R. I even fought for a new one stating I bought the car new and I deserve a new one. Didnt work. I think it really sucks that a car that is 1 year old gets a rebuilt tranny.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
as JENS stated your tranny is built in japan i doubt that that send your housing to japan and have them rebuild it then send it back...he said new ones are being installed but...if it were rebuilt offten those are better than original...kinda like paint...
Old 11-30-2001, 10:56 AM
Resident DJ

ok then...thanks a lot everyone!! I hope I get it back soon!!!

I have to install a Video Converter and DVD player before my Christmas road trip!
Old 11-30-2001, 11:24 AM
hater

They did not pull your transmission and send it out. They are waiting for a re-built tranny from somebody else's car to arrive from the R&D center in Cali where they are re-furbishing them at the rate of about 2-3 a day. You're probably getting mine.

There's no way they could pull yours and send it in. Think about it. If they did that, they would not be able to move it and your car would have to sit in a bay waiting for a replacement. A bay that they need NOW to service other cars.

Go to the dealership. I'll bet that it's sitting on the back of the lot and is still driveable (at least in first gear.)
Old 11-30-2001, 01:03 PM
6SPDCLS

So when you get a rebuilt transmission, won't that de-value your car when selling compared to another without tranmission problems?

That would suck major ass....
Old 11-30-2001, 01:20 PM

Thats TOTAL BULLSHIT.

If it were me, and my transmission went out on me, I'd DEMAND a new one, and I'd go to whoever it took to get one.

Don't waste your time with some blood sucking car salesman, get in front of the right people and present your case.

If you know what u r doing, you can get anything u want. Afterall, did u pay $30K for a rebuilt transmission on a 2001 car?!

Old 11-30-2001, 01:41 PM
Drifting

And whose to say they just tell you its new, and not rebuilt. Im sure we cant tell the diff.
Originally posted by TypeSKid
Thats TOTAL BULLSHIT.

If it were me, and my transmission went out on me, I'd DEMAND a new one, and I'd go to whoever it took to get one.

Don't waste your time with some blood sucking car salesman, get in front of the right people and present your case.

If you know what u r doing, you can get anything u want. Afterall, did u pay $30K for a rebuilt transmission on a 2001 car?!