Dealer Detailing Then Paint Dullness??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Detailing Then Paint Dullness??

I have spend several weeks investigating why my 2001 CL Azure Blue back of trunk became dull and a bit cloudy over the past several months. Several people looked at my pic and suggested it was re-painted, however, I am only owner and never re-painted but detailed by Acura dealer in Bethesda, MD about 5 mos. ago. I began to notice dullness on trunk back which ended with white spotted corrosion looking stain on paint.

Well, I have learned from a few pros who looked at my car that it seems the trunk was maybe re-painted and/or the detailing done by Acura made my clear coat so thin that it is almost non-exsitent on the trunk area. I understand they use buffer machines that are hard on paint etc.

Has anyone else had their car detailed by Acura dealer and noticed a dulling of paint in any areas - ofcourse this took about 5 mos. - for awhile it looked great until I looked closely.

I plan to pursue this with the dealer where I had the car detailed - only place it was out of my sight and whether something happened to result in re-painting or the detailing process they use.

Rustito
Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Advanced

This is not meant to target Acura dealer but to understand what happened to the quality of paint on my 2001 CL. Well protected by Zaino (but not in garage) and never taken to car washes. So what went wrong with the back of my trunk as far as paint deteriozation - was it detailing process (as suggested by a local expert) or what happened. The rest of my car paint is in great shape.
Rustito
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its a longshot to get the dealer to do anything about the paint. there are too many variables with the environment/climate that come into play when it comes to paint problems. i agree with your friend that told you that it is prob from the clearcoat getting too thin on the trunk from some aggressive buffing, but i really doubt acura is going to fess up to that. they will pull the environmental/climate card on you most likely.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced

I totally agree with you - dealer won't pony-up anything (not really my intention posting here). BUT - my reason for posting this is to maybe warn others so they think twice about having detailing done - dealer or anywhere else unless they know the process used!

Most likely I will be spending this weekend working with the latest Zaino products to try to not only mask the problem area but more importantly to protect the rest of my car. Worst to worst I get trunk re-painted - but don't think it will come to that.

Interesting aside - for years I had my first Acura - a Legend coupe 1990 detailed by dealer for about 10 yrs (color was Melburne Blue - light metallic blue) and that paint was perfect to the day I sold it about 10 yrs. later!!

Rustito