Damn my transmission has apparently bit the dust..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn my transmission has apparently bit the dust..

Ok folks here is the latest scoop on this, apparently my transmission is history.

Right now Acura is sending a rep out to check the car to see if it has been 'abused', and to see if it is covered under warranty.

Needless to say I am a little pissed about this, and will be downright furious if they tell me that the car is not covered under warranty (shit it's got 27505 miles on it). I don't drive it harder than anyone else here in Houston does so we will see.

Anyone have any words of advice for me here??

I thought our transmissons were bullet proof, but am starting to think otherwise at this point.

The only thing I have on the car are headers, springs, and sways (all from Comptech), and the AEM cold air intake.

Here is a little link to stuff which hopefully won't freak everyone out too much, but still from out TL brothers.

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000400.html

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 05-21-2001, 06:13 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JSuppi:
Ok folks here is the latest scoop on this, apparently my transmission is history.

Right now Acura is sending a rep out to check the car to see if it has been 'abused', and to see if it is covered under warranty.

Needless to say I am a little pissed about this, and will be downright furious if they tell me that the car is not covered under warranty (shit it's got 27505 miles on it). I don't drive it harder than anyone else here in Houston does so we will see.

Anyone have any words of advice for me here??

I thought our transmissons were bullet proof, but am starting to think otherwise at this point.

The only thing I have on the car are headers, springs, and sways (all from Comptech), and the AEM cold air intake.

Here is a little link to stuff which hopefully won't freak everyone out too much, but still from out TL brothers.

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000400.html

</font>

I have a feeling our trannys are going to have problems. You got your car in March when they first came out so you are the first to have problems. Watch they are going to fall like dominos now.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 05-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I would take the intake off since its easy to do. I can just see the guys face when you open your hood. INTAKE AND HEADERs!!!

He'll most likely mark you as being an abuse driver.

Not taht I think u are but he might when he see's your engine.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 05-21-2001, 06:21 PM
Pro

Man, kind of makes you wonder why these cars were relatively cheap and a good buy compared to similar makes from other manufacturers ...It's because they're using sup par parts....hmmm? Hope that's not true.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 05-21-2001, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
I would take the intake off since its easy to do. I can just see the guys face when you open your hood. INTAKE AND HEADERs!!!

He'll most likely mark you as being an abuse driver.

Not taht I think u are but he might when he see's your engine.

</font>
No can do, I don't think they can relate the intake to transmission failure, and the headers are going to be hard to relate as well considering the fact that they installed them.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 05-21-2001, 06:29 PM
Racer

Why would they turn you down for a replacement tranny? It should all be covered.

------------------
Silver S
Black Xephyr Intake
Valentine 1 (Hard wired)
Old 05-21-2001, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

First of all... sorry to hear about your troubles JSuppi... hopefully everything will work out for you.

Secondly.... I wouldn't go getting all worked up about tranny troubles just yet. The link from the TL board shows one guy with a questionnable screename (30K of Junk) bitching about his tranny. If you actually take the time to read the post, no one else reports tranny problems. True, Einstein said that they seem to be popping up, but I'd prefer to hear that from actual owners who are experiencing tranny problems as opposed to one guy's perception that our tranny is fragile. Now, don't get me wrong... maybe we do have a relatively fragile tranny, but I'm sure as hell not convinced of that at this point. I read a lot of threads on this board and this is the first I've heard of transmission problems. They are far from ubiquitous at this point. I think this is just something we all need to watch.....

my .02

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs, Sway Bars & Headers
AEM CAI
PIAA 19169
Old 05-21-2001, 08:26 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
First of all... sorry to hear about your troubles JSuppi... hopefully everything will work out for you.

Secondly.... I wouldn't go getting all worked up about tranny troubles just yet. The link from the TL board shows one guy with a questionnable screename (30K of Junk) bitching about his tranny. If you actually take the time to read the post, no one else reports tranny problems. True, Einstein said that they seem to be popping up, but I'd prefer to hear that from actual owners who are experiencing tranny problems as opposed to one guy's perception that our tranny is fragile. Now, don't get me wrong... maybe we do have a relatively fragile tranny, but I'm sure as hell not convinced of that at this point. I read a lot of threads on this board and this is the first I've heard of transmission problems. They are far from ubiquitous at this point. I think this is just something we all need to watch.....

my .02

</font>

There have been many reports on the TL site about bad trannys. Do a search on the site.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 05-21-2001, 08:41 PM
hater

Can anyone say, "should've got the 330ci..."?

I can. Sorry, kids, the thrill is gone. If something else breaks on my car I'm getting the hell outta Dodge.

------------------
'01 CL-S|Sundance Gold|Spoiler|35% Tint|Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 05-21-2001, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

There have been many reports on the TL site about bad trannys. Do a search on the site.

</font>
I just did a search. This is what I mean by perception. I'm still not convinced we have a tranny that is going to be troublesome for a significant number of members.

Look at this thread:
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006919.html

It looks like at least half of the members who've had problems, and nearly all of the members who've had their tranny's replaced have '99 TL's which as you know is an entirely different tranny. There have been some 2000 TL owners who have some issues, and at least one or two who have had to have their tranny replaced, but considering all the members on that board, it just doesn't appear to be a major thing to me at this point. Plus, it's really easy to lump ALL of their tranny problems into one category even though they're dealing with 2 transmissions.

Not trying to start anything here.... just trying to remain CALM

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 05-21-2001).]
Old 05-21-2001, 09:00 PM
Drifting

I just did a search. This is what I mean by perception. I'm still not convinced we have a tranny that is going to be troublesome for a significant number of members.

Look at this thread:

It looks like at least half of the members who've had problems, and nearly all of the members who've had their tranny's replaced have '99 TL's which as you know is an entirely different tranny. There have been some 2000 TL owners who have some issues, and at least one or two who have had to have their tranny replaced, but considering all the members on that board, it just doesn't appear to be a major thing to me at this point. Plus, it's really easy to lump ALL of their tranny problems into one category even though they're dealing with 2 transmissions.

</font>
I feel ya

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 05-21-2001, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JSuppi:
No can do, I don't think they can relate the intake to transmission failure, and the headers are going to be hard to relate as well considering the fact that they installed them.
</font>
So, does this mean that a CLP driver that torque brakes and goes to the 1/4 mile every Saturday, but doesn't have the extra 35HP, headers, and intake is "in the clear".

But, since you have an intake and headers that the car MUST be ABUSED....

Acura is walking a fine line here. When companies make "higher" performance cars, there is a certain "expectation" from people about being able to "use" that performance.

This is just a suggestion, and I don't know how you drive your car (I have seen some people who drive their cars in a fashion that I would consider abusive). However, if you have been "reasonable" and haven't been doing Baja 400s in the car, you might want to remind Acura that other people are watching.

If I find out that Acura is going for cover for their screw-ups, I'm going to start thinking about finding a new car company in the future. I expect a car to withstand the power it is supplied with and expect that it should even be "upgradable" within reason.

It isn't like you put a 100HP supercharger on the car -- we are talking about 30 HP at 6800 RPM (Actually, torque is what breaks gears, but whatever...)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 05-21-2001).]
Old 05-21-2001, 10:24 PM
Rod
Drifting

Look at this thread:

</font>
But I believe I've seen a couple people here who have already had their 2001 CL transmissions replaced. Not saying that our transmissions are as bad as some say, but it is something to think about.
Old 05-21-2001, 11:05 PM
Drifting

Thats how I got fucked.. They will try and use the perf parts as an excuse not to cover it. I wish you the best of luck...I went through the same crap.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 05-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
Thats how I got fucked.. They will try and use the perf parts as an excuse not to cover it. I wish you the best of luck...I went through the same crap.

Spiro

</font>

You have to figure that a lot of people will just sit down and take it up the rear. I think there is a business class in "Sticking The Customer 101" -- if you can get away with it, why not try.

On the other hand, if they know they are going to get more heat rained on their head from NOT doing the "right" thing, they will run the "cost" analysis from a "marketing" perspective.

They [meaning some auto companies] do compare the cost of fuel tank upgrades to the cost of funerals and baby caskets -- don't they?

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-21-2001, 11:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
there are bound to be tranny problems, they happen w/ every car put into production
Old 05-21-2001, 11:54 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
So, does this mean that a CLP driver that torque brakes and goes to the 1/4 mile every Saturday, but doesn't have the extra 35HP, headers, and intake is "in the clear".

But, since you have an intake and headers that the car MUST be ABUSED....

Acura is walking a fine line here. When companies make "higher" performance cars, there is a certain "expectation" from people about being able to "use" that performance.

This is just a suggestion, and I don't know how you drive your car (I have seen some people who drive their cars in a fashion that I would consider abusive). However, if you have been "reasonable" and haven't been doing Baja 400s in the car, you might want to remind Acura that other people are watching.

If I find out that Acura is going for cover for their screw-ups, I'm going to start thinking about finding a new car company in the future. I expect a car to withstand the power it is supplied with and expect that it should even be "upgradable" within reason.

It isn't like you put a 100HP supercharger on the car -- we are talking about 30 HP at 6800 RPM (Actually, torque is what breaks gears, but whatever...)

</font>

I agree with you Eric. We can make this as big as they want, or they can help there customer out. There are a lot of important people on this board that have power to get the word out. I hope they don't fuck this up.
Please keep us updated Johnny. Are you dealing with Acura Southwest?

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 05-22-2001, 12:16 AM
Drifting

They are going to try and fuck you. Car trannys are usually designed with a 1.5 factor of safety. It is probably a little more than that for the CL-S. If you onlyhave a 35 hp performance boost that should be well within the factor of safety. Just for fun, ask the guy they send out to do a Rockwell hardness test on the tranny gears. Ask to see the Honda spec too. He won't to do it, but how does the asshole know that the gears were hardened correctly or that they were even cut correctly. Remember you dont have to prove that you abused the car, he has to prove you did.

------------------
-Phin
www.generationinformation.com
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 05-22-2001, 12:17 AM
Drifting

What the fuck does Honda care anyway? They are just going to send the tranny parts back to the supplier and then charge the supplier back for the defective parts.

------------------
-Phin
www.generationinformation.com
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 05-22-2001, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

I agree with you Eric. We can make this as big as they want, or they can help there customer out. There are a lot of important people on this board that have power to get the word out. I hope they don't fuck this up.
Please keep us updated Johnny. Are you dealing with Acura Southwest?

</font>
Calvin,
Yes I did take it to Acura SW (now known as Sterling Macall Acura), and i'm not having such a hot time dealing with the people that I am currently dealing with. I don't want to say much more until everything get's sorted out but will definetly keep everyone in the loop in regards to what happens.

-Johnny

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 05-22-2001, 01:50 AM
Fight On SC!

my .02

</font>
just got my tranny replaced about a month ago. it was leaking tranny fluid.

------------------
2001 silver cl type s
Old 05-22-2001, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok... One tranny was leaking and replaced. What other problems or failures have there been? I don't understand why a leaking tranny needs to be replaced.... Was it cracked? It could not have been a seal! Has anyone had a TC go yet or break a gear?
I'm interested in what the actual failures are....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:48 AM
Racer

Jsuppi, sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully, ACURA will do the right thing. All things mechanical can and sometimes do break or malfunction. The zone rep will probably ask questions and then recommend it be replaced. The dealer is just trying to cover it's but. Think positive!!!

Now with that said, If they don't treat you fairly, we will bring down the wrath of "Acura-CL.com" on their asses. Keep us informed. We never know who is next.

Damn, I just had a "Rapeing and Plundering" flash back!!!

------------------
CL-S
White/Parchment
Gold Emblems
Mud Guards / Wheel Locks
Spoiler
Winter Floor Mats
Old 05-22-2001, 10:10 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

First off, if they ask why you have the performance mods just swear up and down that every mod you put on the car was to get better gas mileage Might sound hokey, but better breathing is better gas mileage in the day of outrageous gas prices!!

Secondly, while they may try and play hardball with you, if you get that impression just tell them that you will serve them with papers from your lawyer suing them for their inactions. But be ready to do it. You will win. There is no way they can PROVE that you caused that transmission to fail. Even if you redlined the car in every gear every time you drove it there is nothing in the car that says not to do that.

I remember in my old 280ZX there was a sticker on the drivers visor telling you not to run the engine at high rpms for over a couple of minutes.

Good luck. Hope all works out.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 05-22-2001, 11:42 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Damn Straight! Not that I would do it, but I should be able to slap the rev limiter all day long without damaging my tranny. That is what the heck it is there for.

------------------
01 CL-S San Marino Red/Black, K&N drop in, no nav, rear wing, otherwise stock thus far, has an appetite for Bavarian cars.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:33 PM
Fight On SC!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
Ok... One tranny was leaking and replaced. What other problems or failures have there been? I don't understand why a leaking tranny needs to be replaced.... Was it cracked? It could not have been a seal! Has anyone had a TC go yet or break a gear?
I'm interested in what the actual failures are....

</font>
the dealer don't know where the leak is coming from. it could be a seal or a crack. they don't know. so rather than to dick around, they just gave me a new tranny and sent the busted one back to acura so they can do the research.
oh, one more thing, my left cv boot was replaced under warranty about the same time. and i don't go off-roading.

------------------
2001 silver cl type s
Old 05-22-2001, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by superdds:
the dealer don't know where the leak is coming from. it could be a seal or a crack. they don't know. so rather than to dick around, they just gave me a new tranny and sent the busted one back to acura so they can do the research.
oh, one more thing, my left cv boot was replaced under warranty about the same time. and i don't go off-roading.

</font>
That's pretty scary that they could not determine where the leak was coming from. Your lucky they didn't try a can of stop leak or something cheesy like that.

The cv boots can get damaged just going over the wrong pot-hole.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 05-22-2001, 02:23 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

John, when you drive your car, do you ALWAYS come to a COMPLETE stop before switching from Reverse to Drive, or Drive to Reverse?

In my previous car, a 1994 Eagle Vision with 50k miles, within a month of when I started changing gears with the car still rolling my transmission had to be rebuilt. Coincidence or cause?

In my 2000 Accord V6, I have been to the track over 50 times, raced at least that many times from stop lights or G-TECH runs, over 15 dyno runs, and easily red line my car at least 2-3 times a day during city or highway driving. Right now I have 37k miles on my transmission with no problems so far. I currently have intake, pulleys, headers and spark plugs. I do not abuse my transmission, but I do drive agressively. I do torque brake when racing but only for about 2-5 seconds before I launch.

------------------
2000 Acccord LX V6 Sedan
- Eibach Pro-Kit Springs& Koni Yellow Shocks
- AEM Short Ram Intake
- AEM Tru-Power Pulleys
- Jet Hot Coated CompTech Headers
- Denso Iridium IK20 Plugs
- Forged Racing Hart 17x7.5" CP-035's with 225/45 RE730's
- 15.44 @ 87.87mph (Track)
Old 05-22-2001, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BNut:
John, when you drive your car, do you ALWAYS come to a COMPLETE stop before switching from Reverse to Drive, or Drive to Reverse?

In my previous car, a 1994 Eagle Vision with 50k miles, within a month of when I started changing gears with the car still rolling my transmission had to be rebuilt. Coincidence or cause?

In my 2000 Accord V6, I have been to the track over 50 times, raced at least that many times from stop lights or G-TECH runs, over 15 dyno runs, and easily red line my car at least 2-3 times a day during city or highway driving. Right now I have 37k miles on my transmission with no problems so far. I currently have intake, pulleys, headers and spark plugs. I do not abuse my transmission, but I do drive agressively. I do torque brake when racing but only for about 2-5 seconds before I launch.

</font>
I try to come to a complete stop before shifting from reverse to drive, but then again trying and doing it all the time are two completely different things. I still have not heard back from the dealership so I guess i'm waiting.

Waiting always sucks especially when it involves something like this.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 05-22-2001, 06:53 PM
Fight On SC!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BNut:

</font>
my dad's 94 eagle vision had similar tranny problems. i guess in our family we just know how to pick the winners.

------------------
2001 silver cl type s