CT B-Pipe Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 01:56 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good point. Something I didn't consider. I've been bugging CompTech for SC'd and non-SC'd dyno charts for the b-pipe. If what you said turns out to be true, then I'd wait on the b-pipe until I install the SC. Anyone else who doesn't want to install a SC probably should forget about the b-pipe - if it's going to degrade low-end torque.

Thanks for catching this...

"Keep in mind that the b-pipe is the longest exhaust component (about 6-7 ft. total length including the y portion of the pipe) and may be the biggest bottle neck..."

Maybe it's more like this from biggest bottle neck to least:

1) Headers
2) Cat
3) Cat-back
4) Axle-back

But until we see some dyno numbers, it's purely speculative for now...

Originally posted by t-rd
Get ready for some massive low end torque loss if you N/A guys are getting this. You need that extra low end power from an SC to compensate for this. There are countless 2.5" catbacks made for 3.0 V6 Accord, a lot of guys eventually sold their catbacks because the top end gain was not worth the low end torque loss. I sold my piece of shit 2.5" catback system because I was actually lagging behind stock Accords off the line! Anything below 3k RPM will cause a slowdown in exhaust gas flow rate because of the larger piping diameter. And YES, stock Honda/Acura Y-pipe is already stainless steel, it is just not polished with a shiny finish. Also with a larger b-pipe, prepare for a louder exhaust note. Those who thought just the Comptech mufflers were loud and had to use a quiet insert tip, scratch this off the list now.

And NO, the b-pipe is not the biggest bottleneck of the Honda/Acura V6's, it is the exhaust manifold. That's why the headers give so much gain over exhaust or intake mods.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Get ready for some massive low end torque loss if you N/A guys are getting this. You need that extra low end power from an SC to compensate for this. There are countless 2.5" catbacks made for 3.0 V6 Accord, a lot of guys eventually sold their catbacks because the top end gain was not worth the low end torque loss. I sold my piece of shit 2.5" catback system because I was actually lagging behind stock Accords off the line! Anything below 3k RPM will cause a slowdown in exhaust gas flow rate because of the larger piping diameter. And YES, stock Honda/Acura Y-pipe is already stainless steel, it is just not polished with a shiny finish. Also with a larger b-pipe, prepare for a louder exhaust note. Those who thought just the Comptech mufflers were loud and had to use a quiet insert tip, scratch this off the list now.

And NO, the b-pipe is not the biggest bottleneck of the Honda/Acura V6's, it is the exhaust manifold. That's why the headers give so much gain over exhaust or intake mods.
I agree with this. Every guy I have talked to about this subject all say the same thing. Bigger pipes, & even headers will kill some torque. That is the 2nd biggest reason I have the stock exhaust. I was weary to get the headers for fear of this, & by my dyno's it looks like it may be true, on my car at least. I had headers & exhaust on my trucks, & loss the low end too.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get ready for some massive low end torque loss if you N/A guys are getting this.
So what would a dump pipe after the headers and before the Cat do for a S/C'ed whip?....

Smitty
Old 06-18-2003, 03:29 PM
boosted is best

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
I agree with this. Every guy I have talked to about this subject all say the same thing. Bigger pipes, & even headers will kill some torque. That is the 2nd biggest reason I have the stock exhaust. I was weary to get the headers for fear of this, & by my dyno's it looks like it may be true, on my car at least. I had headers & exhaust on my trucks, & loss the low end too.
Is this really so? After I installed CT intake and headers on my stock '03 CLS 6sp, I noticed a significant gain in low-end torque as well as on the high-end.

Also, I've heard some people say on this forum they noticed some power and torque gains after installing the CT exhaust. Could you folks who installed the CT exhaust report on this?

thanks...
Old 06-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
as long as you retain the factory cat, low end torque loss should be little or none. i'm running full cat back w/ large diameter piping and i haven't noticed low end power loss. but i have noticed gains from 3500 rpm on up.

i'll know for sure once i hit the strip.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I have seen the CT exhaust in person and I have to say that I am disappointed.. they are about half the size of stock and I was not fond of the round tips.. I like the 03 tips better since they take up more bumper molding gap... plus I noticed rust all around the welds and the seem of the exhaust... I guess that stainless welds rust but not stainless steel... From my understanding, it all depends on what type of Stainless you use to make the product...
Old 06-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
CT mufflers are head and shoulders better looking and sounding than the stocks. mine never had rust on any part of them, including welds.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

They are smaller than Stock.. no doubt about that... I never said anything about the sound, they did sound really good... Just not worth the money per pony ratio, if you got an 03 in my opinion..

Smitty

p.s. I always wanted them but since I seen them in person that changed my mind completely
Old 06-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Pro

im getting it for the supercharger i think it will help along with a bigger bore throttle body from king motorsports.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:43 PM
boosted is best

I would like to apologize to everyone for misinforming you about "Mike B" at CompTech. He is still with Comptech but doesn't maintain the forum any longer due to a management decision to streamline their efforts in disseminating information and to provide a consistent message. It turned out that many people who posted to the forum also called them so it was becoming a redundant issue and wasting resources.

Again, sorry for starting a rumor.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Smitty
I have seen the CT exhaust in person and I have to say that I am disappointed.. they are about half the size of stock and I was not fond of the round tips.. I like the 03 tips better since they take up more bumper molding gap... plus I noticed rust all around the welds and the seem of the exhaust... I guess that stainless welds rust but not stainless steel... From my understanding, it all depends on what type of Stainless you use to make the product...
The round tips works out great with the TL-Kit.