Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 10:43 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused bout something on Chod's FAQ page

ok, this is what it says...

"Notes on Neuspeed Struts?

Some Notes:

- It will slightly touch the stock strut bar. You cannot slide a sheet of paper between them at the edges.
- The Part number of the 'FRONT LOWER SUB-FRAME TIE-BAR' is #3-45.20.32P
- Will not fit if you have Comptech Headers installed..."

what won't fit if the headers are installed?? the front lower sub-frame tie bar?? the part number above - is it the one u should/should not get if u have headers??? any advantages to having a sub-frame tie bar?? any clarification would b greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
It looks like there's 2 different things listed in there so I can see the confusion. Here is my understanding of it.....

1) For the upper strut bar (shock brace), the Neuspeed one and the factory one will be very close together, but this is normal.

2) For the Lower strut bar... if you have headers, they will not fit.

3) That part number from the FAQ is for the the lower strut bar. The part number for the upper strut bar (the easier one to install) is 35.20.96P.

4) Using Strut bars tightens up the chassis and reduces flex thus providing better handling.

Hope that helps!!

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: juniorbean ]
Old 08-21-2001, 11:08 AM
'Cooter

ahhh...excellent...couple follow-up ques then...let's talk hypotheticals...if i want headers in the future, it sounds like i should go for sways instead of a lower strut tie bar, and if i want to pass on the headers, it sounds like i have the option for going for the lower strut tie bar...if i have that right, then let's go a step further...r there advantages/disadvantages to having a lower strut tie bar as opposed to sways?? please assume i have the upper strut bar already (which i'll have in a few weeks)...sorry, but i just wanna b 100% clear on this, b/c i don't wanna b shelling out $$ at random and wasting it...deep down tho, im thinking sways instead of a lower tie bar.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Scooter... unfortunately I'm not too knowledgable about the lower strut bar, so I can't get into too much detail. Hopefully someone who does know will read this and jump in. From what I have been reading, you're better off going with the sways over the lower strut bar, and getting both probably isn't necessary. It seems like the most gains are to be had from the sways. To be honest, when looking at mods, the lower strut brace was never and option for me. I was looking upper brace and sways....
Old 08-21-2001, 01:58 PM
on bin laden

I think I'm the only one with the lower strut bar (aka lower sub-frame bar). I bought it from marioman since he has headers and they rub. The thing is, it touches the stock pre-cat, but that is soft, and doesnt make any noise. When I get headers, i will just sand the bar down a bit (like a 1 in width where contact is possible). My front end is very solid now, with the upper & lower bars. I want to get sways in once I put my konis and eibachs on. I think this thing is gonna handle crazy awesome