Comptech Springs Today along with Acura Bullshit

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 09:47 PM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Springs Today along with Acura Bullshit

I went to the dealer to finally have the car lowered with Comptech springs and to have new comptech sway bars..both front and rear.

Got a call this late afternoon...mechanic told me my right rear strut was broken. I'm like what the hell is going on? I asked if that would affect my ride, he told me it'll be a bit bouncy...before I drove it across town to drop the car off to have the stuff installed, I didn't feel shit.

anyway, anyone have the same/similar problem? They are going to replace it for free-since it's under warranty...but I'm afraid after getting the springs, how would this affect the warranty?

I'm kinda skeptical about how it broke...I'm gearing towards the fact that the mechanic(s) might of broke it while putting on the springs...or it could be just one of those unlucky things.

I'm just glad it's going to be fixed and I don't end up gettin' in a wreck on the freeway!

Only 3200 miles on it and shit like this already happened. Damn it!!
Old 02-21-2001, 09:49 PM
Banned

Did it ride weird before??? I'm betting that the mechanic broke it and since you are installing aftermarket springs...it voids your warranty.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
and in 6 days (and counting)
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(next month)
Comptech Headers
Old 02-21-2001, 09:50 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
Did it ride weird before??? I'm betting that the mechanic broke it and since you are installing aftermarket springs...it voids your warranty.

</font>
It drove like I first bought it. I don't know jack about how a broken strut feels like...but perhaps it's time for Acura to do a recall?! Defective part?! Everyone should get it checked...it's scary!

Old 02-21-2001, 09:58 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:

</font>
pretty sure that they don't void it.

something in the faq perhaps?

------------------

2001 Acura CL Type S, black/ebony, spoiler, 35% tint, V1, comptech springs, weather mats, piaa19170-doors, piaa19169-road lamps, pia19168-map lights
aim:silvn1
goldn1
Old 02-21-2001, 10:07 PM
6SPDCLS

I'm getting the ride back tomorrow...and they said it'll be all fixed up with the springs and sway bars installed.

I really hope it's worth the price and install. I'm hearing that everyone is happy with the springs and sways but let's hope all of you are right.

Newsgroups like this are great for information. I will definitely believe in NGs if the information is accurate.

Shit, gotta wait 24hours....damn...I'm gettin' impatient!
Old 02-21-2001, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,366 Likes on 3,731 Posts
If the strut (shock) was broken, the car would have been dropped at that corner and you would have known it by the strange way it felt when you corned, braked etc. I don't know how he could have broken it by replacing the stock springs though, unless he was didn't have a good spring compressor tool to get the old ones out and put the new ones in. Can't guess.

------------------
'01 Satin Silver CL-S, tint, Momo Cobra Carbon, Mobil1, V1

NY Lic.- F1 FAN
Future mods: Comptech springs, sways & headers
18" wheels (Heidfelds or Volks) with S-02's
aerokit?

1995 Mitsu GSX, no mods
NY Lic.-I LV F1
Old 02-21-2001, 10:09 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but common sense tells me a Strut is like a shock, lowering the car puts pressure on the strut, which means the dealship Service dept. mechanic DID IT ! COMMON SENSE ! No need for a recall......

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 02-21-2001, 10:11 PM
Who's Your Daddy

I already checked the warranty....They do authorize Comptech Parts warrantied as long as the installation gets done at an authorized Acura dealership...

------------------
01' Type-S
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs
Comptech axle-back exhaust
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Old 02-21-2001, 10:18 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CL-Super:
I already checked the warranty....They do authorize Comptech Parts warrantied as long as the installation gets done at an authorized Acura dealership...

</font>
I'm having an Acura dealership do the installs. They are authorized Comptech parts dealer/installer.

I just don't understand if it ain't the mechanic (knowing that Acura Dealers shouldn't lie -- they are reputable for excellent service), then that means that the strut broke on its own.

That is a scary thought don't you think too? It probably is a defective part to begin with. Sucks!!!!

Old 02-21-2001, 10:28 PM
Advanced

What is the dealership charging you for the install? I am ready to order some springs, but I don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to get them put on.
Old 02-21-2001, 10:30 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sneakypete:
What is the dealership charging you for the install? I am ready to order some springs, but I don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to get them put on.</font>
Acura of Bellevue in WA. What sucks is that it costs a total of $495 for the total install (springs and sways).

I know I know...i'm gettin' raped..but I don't want anyone else to do the install but the dealer...just look at this problem...they found a broken strut..and they fix it for free the next day.

I would doubt the mechanics at another performance shop since I will probably blame them for breakin' something.

Old 02-21-2001, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Nup. Your not getting totally raped. I got both springs and sways installed for about $350 at the dealership. Great thing was they were installed by Jens.

My guess is that some hamfisted dolt broke your strut and doesn't want anybody to know, for whatever reason.

Good luck

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
•White\Black
•Comptech Springs
•Comptech Sways
•Navigation System
•Burlwood Shifter
•Guards+Fenderwell Trim
•Smokers Package
My Car
Old 02-21-2001, 11:17 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I gotta say that I would trust a good mechanic that I have dealt with in the past over the dealer any day. Sure the dealer doing the work may help you if something goes wrong, I guess--but let me tell you a little story. When some guy I didn't know did my springs at the dealer he didn't align the front tires apparently and they wore out in about 6k miles with the springs. Do you think I stood a chance in hell at having my dealer buy me two new tires? No way. I don't care what any "tough guys" out there might say, there is no way I can prove they were at fault. I asked them if they did an alignment and they pulled up their records and said they did. And, it is a well known fact that lowering a car changes the camber and causes faster wear on the inside of tires.

So, I had my salesman (good dude) recommend their best guy up there and I just started tipping him and now he does all my installs for essentially nothing at his own shop (Konis and sways for 160$), tint for 100$ etc, etc.

Moral of the story--try your best to find a GOOD technician whether they work at the dealer or not. So long as you have your work done by a certified mechanic legally you have just as strong a case if push really came to shove. There is no law that says the dealer HAS to do anything to your car. Plus, this way you might actually get some straight answers from the guy doing the work on your car. Just to give you perspective--that shock and sway job would have cost me 2 hours labor for each shock and 1-2 hours for the sways. At 70$ an hour or so that adds up to 600-700 dollars which really is insanity.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
35% tint/CAI next

[This message has been edited by JZ (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old 02-21-2001, 11:18 PM
Instructor

I agree with the last guy...the mechanic busted it and didn't want to admit it to his boss...so he said it was already busted

I believe there is a law that protects your warranty...in most cases no matter what you do after-market wise.
Old 02-21-2001, 11:34 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acura S:
I agree with the last guy...the mechanic busted it and didn't want to admit it to his boss...so he said it was already busted

I believe there is a law that protects your warranty...in most cases no matter what you do after-market wise.
</font>

All of you are really lucky to find good mechanics. It's not that easy for people like me to understand who is good and who isn't.

By the way, the SERVICE MANAGER told me that it was broken. He was working jointly with another mechanic to install the springs and sways.

What is even worse is that if you can't trust your dealership, then who the hell can you trust? As for alignment, how do you know if it's aligned? It's so hard when it comes to automotive mechanics...We don't have the tools...I can only trust ACURA to provide good service and honesty.

If the service manager is lying, then shit, I'll never trust that dealership again.

Old 02-21-2001, 11:39 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

It really does suck, doesn't it? Just keep an eye on the insides of your tires by looking at them with the wheel fully turned for awhile and hopefully you won't have any problems like me. I doubt you will--most people have had no problems. But, to say I trust the majority of people at my dealer to tell me the truth about the weather outside--no way in hell.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
35% tint/CAI next
Old 02-21-2001, 11:42 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
It really does suck, doesn't it? Just keep an eye on the insides of your tires by looking at them with the wheel fully turned for awhile and hopefully you won't have any problems like me. I doubt you will--most people have had no problems. But, to say I trust the majority of people at my dealer to tell me the truth about the weather outside--no way in hell.

</font>
The question is WHY ME!?!?!??!
Why does this shit have to happen to me!!? I thought this shit can only happen to American cars (ford, cheverolet)...but I guess made in America sucks!!

My integra never gave me any trouble...not one after owning the car for 8 years!
Old 02-22-2001, 12:36 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a question here: did the dealer actually say what the failure was? i.e. broken bolt or attachment? or was the strut leaking oil? Nothing for nothing but your car is getting repaired under warranty the dealer called you and told you they found a problem and as it appears they want to correct the problem.So my question here is quite simple ...what is the problem?even if the dealer screwed up the strut they are still fixing it under warranty so what is the problem? Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 02-22-2001, 12:53 AM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
Just a question here: did the dealer actually say what the failure was? i.e. broken bolt or attachment? or was the strut leaking oil? Nothing for nothing but your car is getting repaired under warranty the dealer called you and told you they found a problem and as it appears they want to correct the problem.So my question here is quite simple ...what is the problem?even if the dealer screwed up the strut they are still fixing it under warranty so what is the problem? Jens

</font>
Service manager called and told me the right rear strut was broken. That's it. I didn't go into the details with him...because I don't know anything about the construction of a strut to determine if he was going to lie to me about how it broke. He just said it's under warranty and he'll fix it up for free.

My concern is that he could be lying? I am just worried about future repairs since I am indeed putting new springs and sway bars. I don't want to pay for strut repairs in the future AFTER the installation.

So the question is does this happen often? Perhaps a defective part?

Bottom line is that I'm freakin' out cause this probably wouldn't of happened if I would of just left the suspension alone.

Old 02-22-2001, 01:55 PM
Instructor

CL-Super,

what warranty book did you check that stated the comptech springs & sways don't affect the suspension warranty? (manual & page)

This is my concern, as the springs change the resting position of the struts, and the sway bars put extra pressure on the suspension when cornering hard.

Thanks!!

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

No Navi cause no matter where I go, there I am
Old 02-22-2001, 04:54 PM
6SPDCLS

Called the freakin' dealer today about the strut replacement part. Not only did they not call me to let me know about it, the part isn't in. Service manager told me tomorrow.

Bring the car in for spring install/sway bar install and it should take half a day...but now, I leave my car for there for 3 days.

I also asked him "how the strut broke"...his answer was "it's not your fault or the car...it was a bad strut".

I hate this dealer and I'm hoping the install of the springs/sways will be legit...and I hope the springs and sways are worth it! Or else you guys will hear an earful from me again!

Old 02-22-2001, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A broken strut will often rattle when you hit a bump. You will be able to hear it.

------------------
Phin
www.generationinformation.com
Old 02-22-2001, 05:51 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phinthesky:
A broken strut will often rattle when you hit a bump. You will be able to hear it.

</font>
the thing is that I drove almost 20 miles with the radio off, windows closed and I didn't hear anything.

I am going to ask the dealer to give me the broken strut. I don't even know if it's the strut that is broken...how do you break a strut anyway? Perhaps he broke something else while putting the springs on and he's just making shit up.

Old 02-22-2001, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDT-TypeS:

snip...snip

...and I hope the springs and sways are worth it! Or else you guys will hear an earful from me again!

</font>
Hey bud, sorry about your experience but you weren't supposed to find out that all of us were lying about how much better the car handles and looks with springs and sways. Yup, only by a total conspiracy could we force you to do it. 10,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong.

Really I know your pissed and I might be disappointed in my luck also but, I wouldn't blame anybody else for doing something that I chose to do.
Isn't this getting fixed UNDER WARRENTY anyways?

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 02-22-2001, 05:56 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Hey bud, sorry about your experience but you weren't supposed to find out that all of us were lying about how much better the car handles and looks with springs and sways. Yup, only by a total conspiracy could we force you to do it. 10,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong.

Really I know your pissed and I might be disappointed in my luck also but, I wouldn't blame anybody else for doing something that I chose to do.
Isn't this getting fixed UNDER WARRENTY anyways?

</font>
The car is fixed under warranty but just the fact that it broke sucks.

anyway, I'm still very excited to feel how the car handles after the springs/sway installation.

Just hope that nothing else will go wrong.

Old 02-22-2001, 06:02 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ur Strut broke and it sucks......!
I can understand your situation, but yours is not bad as mine, "Severe Engine Oil Leak" at 3,000 miles mark. Solution: wait 1-month on the parking lot (and your car is dissmentled ) until they finally located a new engine block!"

Now, that is a nightmare!

------------------
Black, Eboney, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 02-22-2001, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

You'll love the difference in handling and looks. You'll have a great big grin when you take your first twisty with those new sway and springs. Its a lock.

Have fun, and I'm hoping everything turns out fine.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 02-22-2001, 06:28 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

Hey DDT-TypeS,
ACURA OF LYNNWOOD Service is okay, But the sales and finance fucking suck so you can try there if you want I know its a little far though but thats where I got my ride
Old 02-22-2001, 06:53 PM
Adult Supervision

I'm confused on why you are up tight about this. The dealer is fixing it under warranty. i.e. it should not be broken at this time and he agrees. If his mechanic broke it, then he is fooling Acura and charging them and not you or him. That is between him and Acura. If the dealer is installing the springs you are covered under warranty and with all the springs and sways being installed on this board, I do not think there is a systemic problem with struts and springs - we would have heard this more.

If it was broken - I mean really broken, you would have heard it klunking on every bump - if it was leaking or something more subtle then you would not have noticed and the dealer might have and replaced it for you anyways.

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with this entire scenario. If this is the biggest problem you got - you're doing okay!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-22-2001, 07:56 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
I'm confused on why you are up tight about this. The dealer is fixing it under warranty. i.e. it should not be broken at this time and he agrees. If his mechanic broke it, then he is fooling Acura and charging them and not you or him. That is between him and Acura. If the dealer is installing the springs you are covered under warranty and with all the springs and sways being installed on this board, I do not think there is a systemic problem with struts and springs - we would have heard this more.

If it was broken - I mean really broken, you would have heard it klunking on every bump - if it was leaking or something more subtle then you would not have noticed and the dealer might have and replaced it for you anyways.

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with this entire scenario. If this is the biggest problem you got - you're doing okay!

</font>

That's a relief. Actually, I'm not pissed that much anymore. Now, I'm just excited to get the car back and to enjoy the new handling.

I guess I shouldn't bitch and gripe too much...but you know you love your CLS...so if anything happens to it, then you'd probably feel the same way I do.

I will post a long review about the comptech springs and sways...and this review is coming from a non-technical person such as myself.

Old 02-23-2001, 12:38 AM
retired

I have seen a few defective struts here and there.By and large the most common failure tends to be oil leakage after that it is usually a noise complaint that prompts the requirement for a new strut.Ask the service dept. to show the strut,they can't let you keep it since they have to submit the part to the warranty people at Acura but they should be able to show you the strut and also what failed.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 02-23-2001, 04:02 AM
6SPDCLS

Thanks Jen for the tip. I will ask for the part to be shown to me and explain how it is broken. I'm just afraid they'll say, "we've already discarded/sent the part back to <whomever>...so we can't show you the part."

I have asked for the sway bars back and also the original springs. I'm wondering if they are going to use my existing sway bar bushings or the ones that come with the comptech sway bar set?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
I have seen a few defective struts here and there.By and large the most common failure tends to be oil leakage after that it is usually a noise complaint that prompts the requirement for a new strut.Ask the service dept. to show the strut,they can't let you keep it since they have to submit the part to the warranty people at Acura but they should be able to show you the strut and also what failed.Jens

</font>
Old 02-23-2001, 04:04 AM
6SPDCLS

Yea, I heard Lynwood does Comptech stuff too..but I'm going to wait and see tomorrow (midday) how the install went and how the car handles...just hope the dealer doesn't do anything to damage/weaken the suspension...

By the way, anyone know if the original TypeS shocks are going to handle with the Comptech springs? I'm worried!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by patsmere:
Hey DDT-TypeS,
ACURA OF LYNNWOOD Service is okay, But the sales and finance fucking suck so you can try there if you want I know its a little far though but thats where I got my ride
</font>
Old 02-24-2001, 12:13 AM
retired

The front sway bar bushings/mounts are reused with the new bar from Comptech.The rear bar comes with new urethane bushings grease and mounts with hardware.If you are concerned look under the car in the rear,the new mounts will be gold and shiny the bushings are red.Typically the dealership will hold the part untill the factory rep comes by and signs off on the part,it is then thrown out.Under certain circumstances the factory will want to see the part but this usually is only the case for electronics or parts from new vehicles just introduced to the market.Jens

------------------