Comptech springs and Koni shocks will it rub

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech springs and Koni shocks will it rub

I am possibly getting some Koni shocks but I want to inquire if they will rub if I have Comptech springs and SSR Competition with 235/45 17. I know that H@mmerM@n rubbed with his Toyos T1s but my tires are slightly less wide making them less likely to rubbing.

What I here from these shocks they are the best with comptech springs and will provide you the best suspension probably better than the Zeals. Ok maybe not that firm but will it make the CL-s handle so much better. What offset is the best to have with the Konis so they don't rub at all. Sorry for all the questions but you realize that if I buy and install these shocks and start rubbing lets just say Ill be slightly unhappy. Any and all info., suggestions ,advice , confessions are all welcomed and all GOOD
Old 03-24-2003, 09:46 PM
6 speedin'

I would think you would be fine with 235/45/17. Those are the tires I would get if my stock tire was .5" wider. Also, the Koni's can get pretty stiff if you put them at their stiffest setting. I have my front and rear set at halfway and they rock. I may try just a little stiffer, but not too much because the ride quality is still really good at halfway and I do not want to sacrifice that too much.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the tires and many other factors (some random) -- and even your weight, a setup with Konis – as described -- could work all the time, some of the time, or be a real pain (lots of rubbing ALL the time).

I am pretty sure that the amount of room between tire and fender well -- with or without the Konis -- is very, very small and could allow for rubbing.

You are going to have to take a risk and find out for yourself. There was a statement in an earlier thread that said I made a comment about the Koni bumpstops being the problem. I don't know if they are the problem, they "might" be THE PROBLEM. However, the damping (compression/rebound) and compressed length in conjunction with the bumpstop DOES change the amount of rubbing.

Now consider the people with Pilot A/S (225/50-17) that are having rubbing problems. (not even with Konis)

Conclusions (these are mine):

1. The fit is very tight.
2. The fact that the fit is so tight means that one person could have a setup that works, and some "minor" changes could make this iffy. e.g. you may get an "everything is ok with the setup on my car” statement and find that a little extra weight causes you to rub; you may find that a slight variation in the spring rate of your springs (they are not all exactly the same) could cause you to have a problem); you may find that a change in air pressure will effect rubbing; you may find that a slight change in batch control could cause you to have rubbing; you may find that a slightly different type of driving style and bumps/ruts in your area cause rubbing; you may find that the effective g-forces that you produce in some hard lefts and rights is greater in your area due to a different type of pavement/road surface; and you may have some combination of all of the above to consider. (I’m sure I left a number of other items out)

WHAT I'M trying to convey here is: the fit is really, really tight and I don't know anyone that knows exactly how close the fit is. If just adding a strut bar removes a rub problem with a similar setup, what does that say about this?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from gather anecdotal evidence. Only suggesting that you consider that there might be rubbing despite your best research. IMO, it might be worth some time to see if you can augment or change the bumpstops. You also should be willing to move to a smaller tire if you get rubbing that is severe enough.

Finally, the tire height is very important (all 235/45-17s are going to be slightly different) and, IMO, is probably a greater factor that the tire section width (and I'm not even talking about the tread width).
Old 03-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Banned

So EricL do you recommend the Zeal would that provide me the best suspension without the possibility of rubbing. Don't get me wrong but I love wide wheels and I would love to have some 245 on my car if possible instead of riding my car lower.

I definetly want change the shocks more so now that i upgraded my STB and stiffen up my chassis to the point were it feels like an NSX. Now I just want better suspension all together with some adjustability and the konis provided that without costing an arm and a leg for the zeals
Old 03-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lou
So EricL do you recommend the Zeal would that provide me the best suspension without the possibility of rubbing. Don't get me wrong but I love wide wheels and I would love to have some 245 on my car if possible instead of riding my car lower.

I definetly want change the shocks more so now that i upgraded my STB and stiffen up my chassis to the point were it feels like an NSX. Now I just want better suspension all together with some adjustability and the konis provided that without costing an arm and a leg for the zeals
I don't know.

I'd love to drop an inch and have 245/40-17 on the car too. However, I think I will be sitting on the sidelines for a while...

All's I know is the 235/45-17 + 17x8s + lowering makes for a possible rub problem. As to exactly what combinations -- who knows?

You'd have to ask the Zeal people about their setups.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:05 AM
im back

it depends on the offset of the wheel lou. I got comptech springs and the first set of 18's had 235/40 and didn't rub, the second set had the same tires and rub and now i have 235/45 on my stock rims and they dont rub