Comptech Installation Outrageous

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Installation Outrageous

I called up Los Gatos Acura to get a quote for installing Comptech sways and springs. They quoted around $1250 for labor alone!! I found another well known shop (non-dealer) that will do it for $550 which includes the alignment. They are recommending I get the camber kits which will involve another $385 in labor and another $378 in parts. Do we really need the camber kits?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably not, but it depends on the car. Wait until after its lowered. If you need them, then get them, otherwise don't. As long as your camber is within spec, you'll be fine.

Are these Black springs or Silver springs?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The second price is good. All dealers will rape you on installation. If they are the new CT springs, there's a very good chance you'll need a camber kit. However, don't get them until your positive that you need them.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:01 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteknight
I called up Los Gatos Acura to get a quote for installing Comptech sways and springs. They quoted around $1250 for labor alone!! I found another well known shop (non-dealer) that will do it for $550 which includes the alignment. They are recommending I get the camber kits which will involve another $385 in labor and another $378 in parts. Do we really need the camber kits?
I have an '03 CLS 6MT and have been running with CT springs/sways for about 40k miles. CT said I didn't need a camber kit and they are right, my tires wear evenly, no excessive wear. I highly recommend that four-wheel alignment too.

If you are going through the trouble of a spring upgrade, you should also do konis or some other shock upgrade too. My OEM shocks with about 4k miles on them, started to degrade about a month after the CT spring install. Save yourself the cost of another install and four-wheel alignment; get the shocks now!!!

BTW, I had an Acura dealership do my CT Springs/Sways and Koni Yellows install with a four-wheel alignment. It only cost me $1600 installed.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
I have an '03 CLS 6MT and have been running with CT springs/sways for about 40k miles. CT said I didn't need a camber kit and they are right, my tires wear evenly, no excessive wear. I highly recommend that four-wheel alignment too.

If you are going through the trouble of a spring upgrade, you should also do konis or some other shock upgrade too. My OEM shocks with about 4k miles on them, started to degrade about a month after the CT spring install. Save yourself the cost of another install and four-wheel alignment; get the shocks now!!!

BTW, I had an Acura dealership do my CT Springs/Sways and Koni Yellows install with a four-wheel alignment. It only cost me $1600 installed.

Was this including parts ?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:36 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by 03 CLS
Was this including parts ?
Yes! (installed)
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
since you're in the san jose area, before i decided to do my own car stuff, i went to exact motorsports in milpitas. springs cost me like 140 bucks there. of you can do it yourself. it's not that hard. i got alignment after about 1.5 weeks for it to settle and everything was in place.

before, i had intrax springs, with >2 inch drop, needed a camber kit, but it was too much of a drop for me so i switched out to h&r's. lower than comptechs, and i don't need a camber kit.

i've been riding on stock shocks for about 20k miles now, and they're not blown yet. and about 8k of the 20k, it was on the intrax springs.

so it's all up to you, with my past experiences, do the springs and ways yourself, read the tutorials on this site, don't get a camber kit, get an alignment, and enjoy the new ride!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

Drive down to Socal, I'll install it for you!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Drive down to Socal, I'll install it for you!
Where in Southern Cali are you located? I'm down in Orange County and San Diego quite often visiting friends.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

San Fernando Valley
Old 03-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Advanced

$550.00 is a complete rip off for labor. I had my coilovers and sway bars installed for $199.00.
Go to a speed shop or get with allmotor_2000
Old 03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Advanced

those prices are outrageous!! i had a local shop take of my tien springs put on my coilovers and shocks and install my camber kit with 4 wheel alignment for 400 dollars for the labor, 550 for labor on install of springs and sways rip
Old 03-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

Alright guys, so I'm relatively new, but I've installed the Comptechs (silver) and have ordered front and rear camber kit. Comptech told me it would be beneficial to have it since the camber does change. With what little I know, when that control arm increases its angle due to the drop, it shortens and pulls in the top of the tire changing the camber. On the rear you can see the tire cambered in, can't you? Or is it just me. Visually the change can be seen.

So the alignment will change with the drop to a point that will cause improper wear on the tires, but the camber will not? Also, I had an Integra GSR with an Eibach pro kit and wished I went with the camber kit, it chewed up the inside of my tires.

So I guess what I am asking is can all of you with Comptech spring experience give me feedback and set me straight on this matter. That damn camber kit (front and rear) wasn't cheap, so if you all say tire wear is even after what, 20, 30K miles, then I'll take your word and try to return the darn things. Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 AM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by Michaelj_h
Alright guys, so I'm relatively new, but I've installed the Comptechs (silver) and have ordered front and rear camber kit. Comptech told me it would be beneficial to have it since the camber does change. With what little I know, when that control arm increases its angle due to the drop, it shortens and pulls in the top of the tire changing the camber. On the rear you can see the tire cambered in, can't you? Or is it just me. Visually the change can be seen.

So the alignment will change with the drop to a point that will cause improper wear on the tires, but the camber will not? Also, I had an Integra GSR with an Eibach pro kit and wished I went with the camber kit, it chewed up the inside of my tires.

So I guess what I am asking is can all of you with Comptech spring experience give me feedback and set me straight on this matter. That damn camber kit (front and rear) wasn't cheap, so if you all say tire wear is even after what, 20, 30K miles, then I'll take your word and try to return the darn things. Thanks a lot in advance!
Who at CompTech told you that you needed the camber kit? I've spoken with Shad (their top developer) in the past and he said the camber kit is not necessary if you go with just the 1-1/2" front and 1" rear CT spring drop.

As I mentioned before, I have an '03 CLS 6MT and have been running with CT springs/sways for about 36k miles. I put about 18k miles on a set of Michelin PS A/S 225/50-17s which had at least another 25k miles more tread left on them before I went with bigger rims. And they wore very evenly. I then switched to 18" rims for my BBK running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 235/40-18s and now have about 18k miles on this set with at least 12k miles worth of tread left. They too are wearing very evenly. (note for the first 6k miles I had the OEM springs/sways/tires)

So unless you're going to drop more than the standard CompTech spring drop, the camber kit is not necessary - despite what others may be suggesting.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:15 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

I also am running Comptech springs w/o camber kits and the camber (from Acura computerized alignment) is still within factory specs. Can't really say as far as tire wear because they only have 8,ooo miles on them
Old 03-25-2005, 04:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
Who at CompTech told you that you needed the camber kit? I've spoken with Shad (their top developer) in the past and he said the camber kit is not necessary if you go with just the 1-1/2" front and 1" rear CT spring drop.

As I mentioned before, I have an '03 CLS 6MT and have been running with CT springs/sways for about 36k miles. I put about 18k miles on a set of Michelin PS A/S 225/50-17s which had at least another 25k miles more tread left on them before I went with bigger rims. And they wore very evenly. I then switched to 18" rims for my BBK running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 235/40-18s and now have about 18k miles on this set with at least 12k miles worth of tread left. They too are wearing very evenly. (note for the first 6k miles I had the OEM springs/sways/tires)

So unless you're going to drop more than the standard CompTech spring drop, the camber kit is not necessary - despite what others may be suggesting.

Thanks for the feed back.

Here is a copy of the email I received from the tech dept at Comptech. I asked them how much camber change should I expect, and is a camber kit necessary?
Well its good to know this before I installed this kit, too bad I didn't read up a little more before I orded them. However, I guess they weren't exactly telling me I HAD to have a camber kit...

"You will see about -1 degree more on the rear and about -3/4 on the front. I
would recommended getting the front and rear camber kits so your Alignment
shop can have some adjustment. The stock suspension has very little
adjustability."
Thanks
Tech Dept.
Comptech USA
916-933-1080
Old 03-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Guys, the Comptech springs are now the Eibach springs which is a much more aggressive drop. You will most definitely need a camber kit with the Eibach drop. Also, a local guy here has the silver Comptech springs had he also needed rear camber. The new springs are a 2" front and 1.7" rear drop.

The need for a camber kit is CAR specific. It is not based on which spring package you purchase.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:59 AM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Guys, the Comptech springs are now the Eibach springs which is a much more aggressive drop. You will most definitely need a camber kit with the Eibach drop. Also, a local guy here has the silver Comptech springs had he also needed rear camber. The new springs are a 2" front and 1.7" rear drop.

The need for a camber kit is CAR specific. It is not based on which spring package you purchase.
mrsteve, thanks for correcting us. I just got off the phone with CompTech (Nate) to hear it for myself and they said exactly what you said. Unbeknown-st to me, they made this change about a year ago. When I had my springs put on, the drop was only 1-1/2" front 1" rear. My early post was correct for the earlier springs, but not the Comptech (Eibach) springs. Sorry if I unintentionally mislead anyone.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Cruisin'

ok, so I'll need one more clarification. I understand that the "new" Ct springs are actually Eibachs, but the original Comptechs are silver (correct, and the new kit is not? so as to differentiate) and with the original kit the drop was 1 1/2" front, and 1" rear. With the original kit, many of you are saying that you don't need a camber kit, and at least for sure not in the front? Also, those of you who have said we don't need a camber kit are running that original CT spring setup? I believe that is what I understood.

With regards to the email that I had received from the Coptech tech dept. and posted a few posts ago, I had stated the specific vehicle in the original inquirey to Comptech, and that is what they replied back with. I am a little bit curious how it could be car specific, as opposed to vehicle application specific? Are you saying for an individual car, or a specific model application?

Well to summarize all my above BS, I don't need a camber kit because tire wear is virtually even if I have an original CT spring setup. Right?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PM peiqinglong or redryder83. They are in SJ and have done tons of intalls on CL's/TL's. Springs, sways, camber kits, etc.