Comptech IceBox Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Comptech IceBox Installed

Finally, after 2.5 months of back order I got my 6 Speed IceBox yesterday. I installed it this morning. No offense to anyone, I just don't see how it take's 3 hours to install it. It took me 57 minutes, granted I had the reasonator out already.(Add maybe 10 more minutes) Install went ok. I was a bit worried though cause the rubber sleeve for the TB looked way too small, but it did go on. I also thought the filter was pre-oiled, it wasn't so that's where most of the time went in. I did have to trim the battery cover, & the front black liner as per the instructions. I used my box cutter. It was easy with that. I recomend it. I put the liner in, using a ruler drew a line where to cut. Took it off, Made a big slice down the line, & bent the piece off. It snapped off really clean. Also my instructions had the correct way to put the bracket on the fender. Someone else said it was wrong on there's. Also on mine, I didn't have a grounding screw there. I used a 8mm screw off the stock air box. I also never saw this mentiond on any IceBox post, There's this big square reasonator on the bottom of the pipe going to the TB, must be to limit the noise. For gains, I can't feel a damn thing, but it's also near 90, & humid where I am. Sound is just what I wanted. There is none. This is so quiet compared to the AEM. No big roar in V-Tech. Still has a little burp, & hiss though when you turn the car off, or press the gas in N.
1 thing maybe some of you other IceBox guys can answer for me. Is it normal for the piece going into the fliter box to be free moving? I can twist it around, & that inturn moves the intake tube up, & down a little. I'd prefer it not move. I'm going too see if I can get a dyno done sometime this week, & compare it to my stock dyno. BTW, here's a pic...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...71798892OLQZHE
Old 05-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had mine installed last week by Velosity Resources. All I can say is you must be some kind of mechanical genius. Because it took an experienced mechanic 3 hours and was a ball buster of an install. Anyway, with that said, I couldn't find any free moving pieces on my unit. I too didn't notice much of a difference. Give it a week or two for the computer to re-learn the new settings. I've found it better about a week later. Don't forget to drill out the little diamonds on the bumper insert. You'll get more cool air rushing in to the air intake that you installed just behind the insert. I recommend a 1/8 inch drill bit. Even better would be connecting a flexible laundry hose from the CompTech air intake to the insert.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you followed the directions it'll take you 3 hrs. Directions SUCK!
Old 05-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Sweet as Gold

Took me about 40 minutes...had the resonator out allready also . I broke the front cowl cover during the removal and was pissed . Cursing for the next 20 minutes while installing...then realized that u have to cut it anyways to fit the icebox in...son-of-a-bitch broke in the exact spot I needed to cut!!!As far as the gains , I'm not as pleased as the Aem , but couldn't stand that loud hissing noise from the Aem , so am much happier now . As far as the free moving piece that u can turn around , I have none so check over ur install .
Old 05-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice
Old 05-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro

I switched the foam filter and install K&N. It feels much a bit stronger above 5k rpm.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Re: Comptech IceBox Installed

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
No offense to anyone, I just don't see how it take's 3 hours to install it. It took me 57 minutes, granted I had the reasonator out already.(Add maybe 10 more minutes) Install went ok.
Now that I’ve done one install and know where all the mistakes are in the Comptech instructions, I think I could probably do it again in about an hour.

And I’m sure you gained some helpful experience by reading the posts by others here these past few weeks who bitched about the problems they had.

Good job anyway.

Shawn S
Old 05-03-2003, 10:19 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't see how fuzzy can make the statement about the instructions being correct vis-a-vis the mounting bracket Shawn. We discovered that it took a lot of (your) muscle to get the bracket lined up with the one (and only) hole which on the 6 speed does not match the description of the install instructions. The exploded view of the ICEBOX definitely shows the bracket 180 degrees out of sync with reality, and the install instructions also show a bolt with grounding wires which (on the 6-speed) does not exist - hence the three bolts that come with the kit. Course, the install instructions also state that the application is for the '01-'03 manny tranny ... still waiting for those with the '01/'02 6 speeds to speak up!!!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Team Owner

Re: Comptech IceBox Installed

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
Also my instructions had the correct way to put the bracket on the fender. Someone else said it was wrong on there's.
From the Comptech PDF installation file...........

Notice the bracket in their instructions with the two holes facing UP

Notice how it SHOULD be installed
Old 05-03-2003, 11:10 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
my point exactly!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

Originally posted by 6spdmanual
I switched the foam filter and install K&N. It feels much a bit stronger above 5k rpm.
I thought about doing that too, but I called Comptech & they CLAIM to have experienced better gains with the foam filter. Would you be willing to do a dyno with both the foam and K&N filter? I am really curious to see what the results would be.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Shawn,

Yes the install did go easy thanks to the helpfull posts here about it. Also I agree on that diagram in the instructions, It is wrong on the drawing, however if you look at the other drawing of the ice box mounting, it's the correct way. The wording of the instructions also say the correct way. Maybe comptech revised
the printed instructions? Mine said for the 03 6 speed only.

Now for those who have it installed on the 6 speed, Does your intake move? The corner elbow, attached to the filter does that move up, & down? On mine it does.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S
I thought about doing that too, but I called Comptech & they CLAIM to have experienced better gains with the foam filter. Would you be willing to do a dyno with both the foam and K&N filter? I am really curious to see what the results would be.

Foam does flow better than cotton. Although foam requires more maintainence. Comptech is right.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:55 PM
What, me drive fast?

I was the first one at Sunnyside in Nashua, the quoted me 1 hr labor and stuck to it.
$85 installed...took them 2.5 hours....parts from Dean

I love the Icebox. I have no real before-and-after stories though....