Comptech Icebox Installation Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:38 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Comptech Icebox Installation Help!

Tomorrow I'm picking up a Comptech Icebox, and its more than likely not going to come with instructions on how to install it. Any instructions/suggestions/pics people could give me would be APPRECIATED.... I'm pretty handy, but far from a car mechanic.

The icebox has 10,000 miles on it, and am getting it for what I think is a great price, $50 (Fifty). Any thoughts would be greatly apprecaited, thanks!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:43 PM
DC Cruiser

Oh, and now that my friend is hooking me up with this deal for the Icebox, I'm thinking of headers. I don't want to spend the $ for comptech, but has anyone installed OBX or Stone headers without the problems of resonance and fit?? Thanks-
Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 PM
It's not over yet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
print out the instructions from comptech to get a feel how it looks installed and what part come off.

U'll be removing two pieces of tubing. the 1/2" tubing connects the engine block to the lower connection on the intake.

The second smaller diameter hose doesn't connect to the icebox.
prior to removing the original hose , check get a good idea of where it attaches too. remove the hose at the connector pointing down first, some coolant wiill leak out. proceed to remove the other end of the hose and replace with new tubing as soon as possible otherwise lots of coolant will leak out and make a mess.

now as far as removal of the old intake, there are two different routes. one requires that you remove the front bumper, the second requires that u remove the front wheel gurad. I opted for the second as i thought was much easier.

Pei quin long is currently working on a DIY and he had some pictures which were really helpful.

Oh yeah, u'll need to remove a metal brace and some plastics bits behind the lights in order to fit the icebox. This part was the trickiest for me since i didn't have any instructions about it.(removing them is easy, i just didn't know if i was supposed to). Also, u'll need to trim the black plastic which makes contact with the bumper, do urself a favor and use some sharp vinyl scissors.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:53 PM
DC Cruiser

thanks agui, I look forward to doing this tomorrow!! Hopefully Isabel will stay away, but it looks like I might need to postpone the install until after I ready the sailboat for the hurricane, booohh----
Old 09-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by agui
print out the instructions from comptech to get a feel how it looks installed and what part come off.
Here are the links:
CL Type S 6MT

CL Type S A/T

There was a nice write up with pictures from the last Philly meet. I found the pics particulary helpful, especially with the bracket mount which is pictured backwards in Comptech's instructions.