Comptech Icebox Installation Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As is mine: in on the 26th

Come on Wednesday

Originally posted by lou
Wow I knew this mod. would be the best for this car just cause it keeps it a sleeper . All the power without the all the noise Very nice writeup thanks I can't wait till I get mine it is in transit.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally posted by Beelzebub
Question. Does the Icebox for the 6 speed have a bypass valve? Does it need one?
nope no bypass valve needed since the filter still is housed within the engine compartment and not in the bumper.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Race Director

Received 893 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally posted by slyraskal
nope no bypass valve needed since the filter still is housed within the engine compartment and not in the bumper.
Thanks, This will be the first mod I do to my car after I get it.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey what happen to the dyno
Old 02-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the Banshee wail !! When i get the SC which comes with the Icebox, i'll be disappointed to lose that sound.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

Anil.

nice write-up... you will notice a big kick in the pants with the
headers as well.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Anil.

nice write-up... you will notice a big kick in the pants with the
headers as well.
Yup, i can't wait for it!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

dy-no, dy-no, dy-no....
Old 02-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Team Owner

Ok guys, i did the dyno this afternoon,

Unfortunetly there were some issues that i totally forgot about that the guy i was talking to at SP-engineering brought up.

I don't have a scanner so i'll post my dyno charts tomorrow when i get them scanned.

But i will give you guys a breif summary as to what happened and what Ivan at sp-engineering mentioned to me.

Well my dyno before the install was (completely stock)
219.1hp, 203.8 ft-lbs torque

my dyno after the install was (icebox intake)
220.7hp, 203.1 ft-lbs torque

when he showed me i was like "what the phuck!" i spent 300 bucks on an intake that gave me no gain!

Actually what he told me happens is when the car is on dyno, it's hard to get good results sometimes especially when measuring intakes because what's happening is since the car isn't moving the amount of air that is normally being forced into the pipe isn't there. And even if they have a fan on it, which they did, it's not the same amount of air that would be forced in the pipe compared to driving let's say 60 or 70 mph.

That he said makes a big difference in the dyno. And when you see my dyno charts, you'll see what i mean. the graph of the run with the icebox is very speratic, and not smooth, it's very rough and jumpy as if something's not operating correctly. This was at the lower rpm end, this is the rpm range that i gained my peak hp with the stock intake.

Now, i'm not saying this to justify why my dyno proved to be the same as stock. But i guess i'll have to time my 1/4 mile runs and see how i do to really get a feel for the intake's true power.

But i can assure you, the comptech intake does do a good and very noticeable job in performance. So please dont let that deter you. Hopefully someone else that get's their car dyno'd with it may prove that it does do well.

Like i said, i will post the dyno charts tomorrow when i get them scanned.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

so pretty much no gain

sorry to hear that

aem/injen cai still has an edge over comptech on this one!

sidemarker
Old 02-21-2003, 12:12 AM
Safety Car

I'm somewhat disappointed Never heard of the part about air movement being essential. Damn.

I suppose that makes sense though.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
I'm somewhat disappointed Never heard of the part about air movement being essential. Damn.

I suppose that makes sense though.
I'm a little disappointed as wel, but since i've had the opportunity to drive the car with the intake, i can be happy because i can feel the power gain. may not show on the dyno, but i know it's there.

when i've seen dyno's in the past, i've seen them use this huge fans on the car, and they put them in front of the car with the hood up, i always thought they did that to keep the car running cool, which may very well be the case, but today i learned it's also to get some air going into the intake just like it would be in real life.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

take it with a grain of salt then. your real findings will be on the track/street. Keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:22 AM
Team Owner

yea, i gotta make some time to head to the track and time my 1/4 miles, i've never done that b4 so that'll be a learning experience for me.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:29 AM
Suzuka Master

if youn feel like pioneering some more, go experiment with the aem cai and get a dyno i think that will be more interesting comparison.

sidemarker
Old 02-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by sidemarker
if youn feel like pioneering some more, go experiment with the aem cai and get a dyno i think that will be more interesting comparison.

sidemarker
That thought did cross my mind, i would like to try some different setups.

however i just bought my Zeal function-b6 coilover kit so u know where my money went, maybe after that i will consider it.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Suzuka Master

That thought did cross my mind, i would like to try some different setups.

however i just bought my Zeal function-b6 coilover kit so u know where my money went, maybe after that i will consider it.
nice setup

sidemarker
Old 02-21-2003, 02:56 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

R those numbers SAE, STD or Uncorrected?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:10 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lol, that made me laugh.

actually it's not that big when you see it in person. and when you do, it can be a little intimidating, but not for my car since it's not even lowered yet, but give me a week and i'll have my zeal kit in so beware! hehe
If you're going through this much trouble to see the revs, the redline should be rotated to the vertical position ... top dead center. That's how it's done on cars in true race trim ... SCCA, WCR, F1, NASCAR, etc...

-g
Old 02-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Uh oh. Your results are not encouraging. No power gain; no VTEC sound gain. Hmmm.

You should tell the Comptech dudes. Maybe they'll dyno you themselves to prove that their product does add something.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I think that guy messed up the Dyno. Even with the fan blowing you should see results. Maybe it wasn't setup right. I really can't believe a company like Comptech would make a product that didn't give any gains. Look at the ice box's for other cars. They do work, & have gains. Not saying if it's more or less the an AEM, but you should not see no gain. Call Comptech. Ask them how they dyno. Did you reset the ECU after installing? How many miles on your car? I'd drive it for a week or so, & then re-dyno. Maybe at a different place.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Re: Re: Comptech Icebox Installation Complete

Originally posted by Shawn S
Looks great and I’m looking forward to the DYNO numbers.

The Comptech should prove to be more powerful, but you mentioned the main reason I don’t plan on replacing my Xephyr intake with one.
The 10 or so Horsepower that a CAI provides is nice, but I think it’s the BANSHEE SCREAM it makes when the VTEC kicks in that I love the most.
I’m not positive, but I think the Xephyr is actually a bit LOUDER then the AEM too.

I also think the IceBox looks a little too much like stock.
I wish they had made it look a bit different then the stock airbox.

Shawn S
I like the fact that it looks stock.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Didn't Scalbert have a similarly home-made Ice Box that also failed to give any gains?

I find it hard to believe that the dyno was done wrong. I would guess that the environment (temp, etc) was similar as it was the same place within a few days.

I thought the ECU reset takes place within seconds or minutes (according to data that Scalbert has gathered).

I think your only option is to talk to Comptech and get a re-dyno, hopefully with their $$.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Ok guys, i did the dyno this afternoon,

Unfortunetly there were some issues that i totally forgot about that the guy i was talking to at SP-engineering brought up.

I don't have a scanner so i'll post my dyno charts tomorrow when i get them scanned.

But i will give you guys a breif summary as to what happened and what Ivan at sp-engineering mentioned to me.

Well my dyno before the install was (completely stock)
219.1hp, 203.8 ft-lbs torque

my dyno after the install was (icebox intake)
220.7hp, 203.1 ft-lbs torque

when he showed me i was like "what the phuck!" i spent 300 bucks on an intake that gave me no gain!

Actually what he told me happens is when the car is on dyno, it's hard to get good results sometimes especially when measuring intakes because what's happening is since the car isn't moving the amount of air that is normally being forced into the pipe isn't there. And even if they have a fan on it, which they did, it's not the same amount of air that would be forced in the pipe compared to driving let's say 60 or 70 mph.

That he said makes a big difference in the dyno. And when you see my dyno charts, you'll see what i mean. the graph of the run with the icebox is very speratic, and not smooth, it's very rough and jumpy as if something's not operating correctly. This was at the lower rpm end, this is the rpm range that i gained my peak hp with the stock intake.

Now, i'm not saying this to justify why my dyno proved to be the same as stock. But i guess i'll have to time my 1/4 mile runs and see how i do to really get a feel for the intake's true power.

But i can assure you, the comptech intake does do a good and very noticeable job in performance. So please dont let that deter you. Hopefully someone else that get's their car dyno'd with it may prove that it does do well.

Like i said, i will post the dyno charts tomorrow when i get them scanned.
Well, I'm no mechanic, but let me see if I'm straight on this. You get little or no gain until you reach a high speed. I thought something like the Icebox would at least give a little more HP and torque. This is disappointing. This is very disappointing.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by Slimey
Didn't Scalbert have a similarly home-made Ice Box that also failed to give any gains?

I find it hard to believe that the dyno was done wrong. I would guess that the environment (temp, etc) was similar as it was the same place within a few days.

I thought the ECU reset takes place within seconds or minutes (according to data that Scalbert has gathered).

I think your only option is to talk to Comptech and get a re-dyno, hopefully with their $$.
Yeah, I agree with Slimey. Call CompTech and review your results with them and see what they say. I'll bet alot of people who were going to get the Icebox will put it on hold until some better reports come thru. No one will want to spend over $300 bucks for nothing.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by sidemarker

sidemarker

While air flow is a problem, it doesn't seem to prevent the AEM CAI from showing gains on the dyno. Hopefully others results will differ. I guess the Icebox' performance may be affected more by the air flow issue than the AEM because of its design.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Uh, what? Note:
http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/330142cl.html

That sure does look like a bypass valve on top.

Some correct me if I'm wrong, The purpose of the bypass valve is to save your engine should you submerge the end of the intake in water. It doesn't really matter where the filter is. The only reason the Icebox wouldn't need an intake valve is if the end of the intake is so high that the chance of submerging it is nil. And if it was that high it probably wouldn't be all that useful, imho.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko
Uh, what? Note:
http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/330142cl.html

That sure does look like a bypass valve on top.

Some correct me if I'm wrong, The purpose of the bypass valve is to save your engine should you submerge the end of the intake in water. It doesn't really matter where the filter is. The only reason the Icebox wouldn't need an intake valve is if the end of the intake is so high that the chance of submerging it is nil. And if it was that high it probably wouldn't be all that useful, imho.

where?
edit: I think you are looking at the flex joints.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm not canceling my order from 1 dyno, & 1 persons results. I'm getting a dyno next week stock, & then after the Ice box, & then after the headers go on. Stay tuned I'll post my results also.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Race Director

Received 893 Likes on 542 Posts
I just sent the question on the bypass valve to Comptech.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally posted by Bluto

where?
edit: I think you are looking at the flex joints.
OK, i'm an idiot, I'm looking at the flex joint.

I found this nice link tho:
http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Good description of differences between the different intakes.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by cls6sp03
If you're going through this much trouble to see the revs, the redline should be rotated to the vertical position ... top dead center. That's how it's done on cars in true race trim ... SCCA, WCR, F1, NASCAR, etc...

-g
yea, this did cross my mind when i installed the tach. I just didn't do it. But i am considering changing it to that.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
I'm not canceling my order from 1 dyno, & 1 persons results. I'm getting a dyno next week stock, & then after the Ice box, & then after the headers go on. Stay tuned I'll post my results also.
you will have the same results...

cancel your order and get the aem/injen cai

sidemarker
Old 02-21-2003, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

I think that guy messed up the Dyno. Even with the fan blowing you should see results. Maybe it wasn't setup right. I really can't believe a company like Comptech would make a product that didn't give any gains. Look at the ice box's for other cars. They do work, & have gains. Not saying if it's more or less the an AEM, but you should not see no gain. Call Comptech. Ask them how they dyno. Did you reset the ECU after installing? How many miles on your car? I'd drive it for a week or so, & then re-dyno. Maybe at a different place.
There was no mention of resetting the ECU in the instructions, and i didn't know how to do it. How do you do it? don't you just unplug the fuse going to the ecu, then plug it back in, and start up the car and push on the gas to get the ecu to remap the fuel curve?

driving it for a week or so i don't think would make a difference because like i said, i can feel the difference in power the intake has provided, i just dont' know why it didn't show on their dyno.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

i am going to call up comptech and see what they have to say, and possibly get my car re-dyno'd at another shop. i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Team Owner

Ok, I just got off the phone with Comptech, and while i was on the phone, i realized something!

I was only looking at my peak power performance,

NOT PEAK PERFORMANCE GAIN!!!

Hold on to your pants cuz ur about to shit bricks!

I gained about 16 ft-lbs of torque at 3500 rpm
and i gained about 16 hp at 4500 rpm!!!!

i haven't had a chance to analyze the entire graph, but i'll do that soon, and you'll be able to see them for yourselves pretty soon too!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Team Owner

my dyno graphs are being scanned as we speak, so you'll see them soon!

i guess i scared everyone. so sorry, but i was being retarded when i read the graphs.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

sidemarker

I had the AEM on the Auto I had. Yes I did get gains, but I got alot of noise. I hated it. That hiss, the vtec noise.... Some might like it. I didn't. Personal taste I guess.

You unplug the battery/pull the fuse for while. That should reset it. Also if you drive for a week, & didn't reset it, the compuiter will learn. Just takes longer.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Where is my super sauce?

That's good news. I can't wait to see the dyno graph.

:sighofrelief:
Old 02-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Where is my super sauce?

You unplug the battery/pull the fuse for while. That should reset it. Also if you drive for a week, & didn't reset it, the compuiter will learn. Just takes longer.
Based on his OBD-II data, Scalbert posted some time ago that the ECU is always 'relearning' and that the ECU is quite dynamic. I thought that he debunked the myth of disconnecting the battery or fuse.

Quick Reply: Comptech Icebox Installation Complete