comptech clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comptech clutch and flywheel

Did anyone ever purchase the comptech flywheel and clutch? If so did it make any noticeable changes on performance or driving?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to do a search --

There have been both good and bad (very bad) reviews on this product.

Only a very few people have got it. Search posts by members allmotor_2000 and types1967
Old 07-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

There have been several purchases so far and two returns. Two people had two different problems with it which couldn't be absolutely blamed on the pieces. But instead of risking it further they returned them.

But the driving experience was reported to be noticeably enhanced.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Where is my super sauce?

as an addendum to my post -- scalbert is right -- allmotor's poor experience (as far as I recall) was never really made clear whether the problem was with the part, the installation, or interaction with the part and other parts in his car (crank pulley).
Old 07-20-2004, 08:11 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was strongly considering the CT clutch and flywheel once my OEM clutch needed replacing. But with the bad experiences of others, I've decided against it. In addition, I've been thinking about how light this CT flywheel is. I believe the extra mass of the OEM flywheel does act as a damper against road-shock transmitted throughout the drive-train. Without this extra mass, I would think that the bottom end of the engine would see a lot more stress. The down side of this extra mass is slower throttle response and how the engine revs don't drop off as quickly as they could. Just a thought.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

types1967 (Eric) is back to using the stock clutch.. his CT unit failed.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the comptech lightweight assemble and am very pleased with the performance so far. The engine revs much quicker. One thing I had to get use to was adding more power in first gear in everyday driving to get the car moving. Also when going up hills you have to add a little power, it also decelerates much quicker than the stock flywheel. I had noticed with my stock flywheel a slight vibration if I would rest my foot on the clutch, as well as a vibration under WOT emanating from the engine flywheel assembly, almost like a out of balance vibration. the new flywheel took care of that and am very pleased with the results. I wonder if any of you 6spd guys have felt that vibration in the clutch. hmmmm.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:40 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinJim
I have the comptech lightweight assemble and am very pleased with the performance so far. The engine revs much quicker. One thing I had to get use to was adding more power in first gear in everyday driving to get the car moving. Also when going up hills you have to add a little power, it also decelerates much quicker than the stock flywheel. I had noticed with my stock flywheel a slight vibration if I would rest my foot on the clutch, as well as a vibration under WOT emanating from the engine flywheel assembly, almost like a out of balance vibration. the new flywheel took care of that and am very pleased with the results. I wonder if any of you 6spd guys have felt that vibration in the clutch. hmmmm.
How many miles have you put on your car since installing the CT flywheel/clutch? And how hard to you drive it?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have about 2000 miles so far on it. baby it most of the time, but have given it a modest amount of abuse. the clutch disc is organic and i have noticed, after a serious beating on it one day, the smell of asbestos. overall, it's great.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Instructor

i also feel the vibration in the clutch. its mostly in 3rd gear at lower RPMs. but i can feel it in 1st - 4th at various RPMs. never noticed it in 5th or 6th. may have something to do with the "dual-cone" synchros on 1st - 4th. good to know that the Comptech unit helps with this.

i didn't consider the comptech unit due to cost, not poor reviews. but i'm bummed to hear about the problems in any event.

is the comptech a single mass flywheel or is it also the goofy dual mass sytem?

also, does anyone know if the clutch & flywheel combo from the '03/'04 accord 6MT will fit in the '03 CLS 6MT?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slimey
as an addendum to my post -- scalbert is right -- allmotor's poor experience (as far as I recall) was never really made clear whether the problem was with the part, the installation, or interaction with the part and other parts in his car (crank pulley).
It's not the installation... that's for sure! It was installed by three different people (two are Acura certified technicians at the dealer) and all failed with the same symptoms.

It is possible its an interaction with the UR crank pulley... although that was never proven either way - I couldn't afford to experiment anymore!

In any case, Comtpech was reasonable enough to refund and accept the product as a return.

I did not know types1967 returned his... what were the symptoms?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

types1967 was in heavy traffic on an incline... for about 3 hours...

C/T claimed that the clutch and flywheel do not like that kind of heat...

it failed.

he went back to stock and he said "I could not be happier, the stock clutch is a beast"
Old 07-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carquest
i also feel the vibration in the clutch. its mostly in 3rd gear at lower RPMs. but i can feel it in 1st - 4th at various RPMs. never noticed it in 5th or 6th. may have something to do with the "dual-cone" synchros on 1st - 4th. good to know that the Comptech unit helps with this.
i thought there was something wrong with my clutch/flywheel when mine was doing that. i had acura replace my clutch at 8000 miles cause of that
Old 07-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
after a serious beating on it one day, the smell of asbestos.

I believe you are mistaken. You must be smelling something else as asbestos is impossible to smell.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbf351
i thought there was something wrong with my clutch/flywheel when mine was doing that. i had acura replace my clutch at 8000 miles cause of that

mine has been doing that since i bought it. it only has 2500 miles on it. are you claiming that it's not supposed to operate poorly? when i complained about it the acura tech claimed that it was designed to operate just as it does. vibrations are to be expected. it's not designed to operate like a quality clutch.

who did you whine to in order to get the clutch replaced?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

Vibrations at the pedal have nothing to do with the flywheel. It's a hydraulic system to the pressure-plate release. In any case, removing the tranny from the mount during the uninstall/install process probably cured your problem.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Vibrations at the pedal have nothing to do with the flywheel. It's a hydraulic system to the pressure-plate release. In any case, removing the tranny from the mount during the uninstall/install process probably cured your problem.
even after the new clutch, i still have the same problem

the vibration isn't in the pedal, i can actually feel it in the shifter which is strange since the shifter is only connected by 2 cables and not a solid rod
Old 07-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by Smitty
types1967 was in heavy traffic on an incline... for about 3 hours...

C/T claimed that the clutch and flywheel do not like that kind of heat...

it failed.

he went back to stock and he said "I could not be happier, the stock clutch is a beast"
Damn.

Does Comptech state that the lightened flywheel/clutch is designed for street use? If so, it should hold up better then that. Spending three hours in traffic (even on an incline) for many of us, can be a daily commute.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Damn.

Does Comptech state that the lightened flywheel/clutch is designed for street use? If so, it should hold up better then that. Spending three hours in traffic (even on an incline) for many of us, can be a daily commute.
Well, it definateley doesn't work for track use! I believe I am the only one here who really abused it (it should withstand more abuse than the stock unit, IMO).
Old 07-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Does Comptech state that the lightened flywheel/clutch is designed for street use? .

Honestly, out of all the C/T products we are all left in the dark on this one... I for one am not purchasing it even after my stock clutch goes out.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbf351
even after the new clutch, i still have the same problem

the vibration isn't in the pedal, i can actually feel it in the shifter which is strange since the shifter is only connected by 2 cables and not a solid rod

i feel it only in the clutch pedal. it's a complete pain in the a$$. but if its designed poorly i guess it's not correctable.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by Smitty
Honestly, out of all the C/T products we are all left in the dark on this one... I for one am not purchasing it even after my stock clutch goes out.
I have to agree with you on that.

I give Comptech nothing but accolades for their products, their R&D, and their customer service, but this product seems to stand apart from the rest.

Does anyone know (allmotor?) about their reputation with other clutches for Honda/Acura? They seem to list clutch/flywheel products for NSX, Civic, Integra, etc..

Do they make their own or is it vendored out from another company?

Depending on how many of us keep this car over the next decade, there may be a number of us looking at new clutches, and it'd be nice to have options.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

If they took the time to re-design the pressure-plate itself, then there would be no problem with their unit... its using the factory pressure-plate without the dual-mass flywheel that causes problems!
Old 07-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
If they took the time to re-design the pressure-plate itself, then there would be no problem with their unit... its using the factory pressure-plate without the dual-mass flywheel that causes problems!
A-ha!

Did Comptech ever make any (disclosable) comments to you regarding your personal R&D on the matter, especially regarding the pressure plate?

Does this make it likely that no one will design a complete package with pressure plate, or that such package would be prohibitively expensive to design or produce?

:looksintocrystalball: I foresee a future with only the OEM clutch package available for replacement...
Old 07-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

A-ha!

Did Comptech ever make any (disclosable) comments to you regarding your personal R&D on the matter, especially regarding the pressure plate?

Does this make it likely that no one will design a complete package with pressure plate, or that such package would be prohibitively expensive to design or produce?

:looksintocrystalball: I foresee a future with only the OEM clutch package available for replacement...
Well, the Accord V6 (6spd), '04 TL all use the same clutch, so it won't be long before someone comes out with something!
Old 07-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Where is my super sauce?

That's good news!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Beware of leakage

Amisconception has this unit also I believe, Don't remember him ever complaining.
I remember radin about all your troubles Allmotor and that sucked. Hopefully someone does come out with a more reliable clutch/flywheel for the 6 MT's, that would be awesome.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 AM
Instructor

So im assumin most of u guys are against getting the comptech flywheel and clutch right? But as of right now is there any other company that makes new clutches and possible flywheels for our cars?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by koolmonkey999
...But as of right now is there any other company that makes new clutches and possible flywheels for our cars?
Old 07-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I believe you are mistaken. You must be smelling something else as asbestos is impossible to smell.

then it must be crack

really now, asbestos will give out a rank odor when exposed to extreme friction. ever been behind a truck who's brakes are sticky and smell that rank smell. wha-la...asbestos
Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

hmmm....interesting.....
Old 07-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

then it must be crack

really now, asbestos will give out a rank odor when exposed to extreme friction. ever been behind a truck who's brakes are sticky and smell that rank smell. wha-la...asbestos

I'm sorry but again you are mistaken. What you smell is not asbestos. Asbestos surveys, monitoring, consulting, and analyzing is what I do for a living, along with similar things for other environmental hazards. I do surveys for the White House, the US Capital building, Camber of Commerce building, and the US Naval Academy as well as other federal, state, and local government buildings. We also have Fortune 500 clients whom request inspections in private buildings prior to purchasing. I know what I'm talking about; you can't smell asbestos.

Didn't mean to
Old 07-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by koolmonkey999
So im assumin most of u guys are against getting the comptech flywheel and clutch right? But as of right now is there any other company that makes new clutches and possible flywheels for our cars?
I saw a post that someone said Clutch Masters made a "Stage 3" clutch for the CL-S although according to their website they don't offer one.

Has anyone contacted other companies (i.e., ACT, Clutch Masters, etc.) about aftermarket clutches for you guys?

I was under the impression that the OEM clutch was pretty beefy to begin with espcially for a Honda.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I'm sorry but again you are mistaken. What you smell is not asbestos. Asbestos surveys, monitoring, consulting, and analyzing is what I do for a living, along with similar things for other environmental hazards. I do surveys for the White House, the US Capital building, Camber of Commerce building, and the US Naval Academy as well as other federal, state, and local government buildings. We also have Fortune 500 clients whom request inspections in private buildings prior to purchasing. I know what I'm talking about; you can't smell asbestos.

Didn't mean to
oh well, differing opinions. true, you can't smell asbestos in whatever form it is being used in. but apply friction to it such as brakes or clutch, and it will crystalize and omit a rank odor.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

oh well, differing opinions. true, you can't smell asbestos in whatever form it is being used in. but apply friction to it such as brakes or clutch, and it will crystalize and omit a rank odor.

I'm sorry, but again, it is not a matter of differing opinions, but a matter of fact vs. misinformation. Applying friction to automotive brakes or clutches will not cause the asbestos to crystallize. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral and during its natural crystal development is where it differs from other minerals. When asbestos takes a "crystallized" form it turns to long thin fibers. This fibrous property allows the asbestos to be easily woven or added to other materials. The purpose of using asbestos, in this case chrysotile asbestos to be exact (there are 5 other types that serve different purposes) in brakes and clutches is that is has a very high tensile strength and resistant to heat. Because of these properties, the friction caused during the application of brakes or the clutch will not break down the asbestos, although it will create a dust. The asbestos does not go through any physical or chemical change that would cause it to release a "rank odor." The smell is from other organic or synthetic materials in the clutch; it is not made of pure asbestos. Asbestos is odorless, tasteless, and can only be seen under a microscope.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

doesn't matter anyway, good luck to you.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:17 PM
MP90 uninstalled

allmotor,

ARE you saying that the Accord V6, '04 TL, and '03 CL 6 all use the same clutch? curious.

Jim
Old 07-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Beware of leakage

I believe they do use the same clutch in those applications
Old 07-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ It appears so and would make sense. Why waste a good transmission and clutch on a limited 2700 unit production. Why not test it out on the dieing breed first before putting it in the main stock.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Instructor

so there's basically after market clutches for our cars?

Quick Reply: comptech clutch and flywheel