Complete Specs on I35 out in October

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 12:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Complete Specs on I35 out in October

2002 Infiniti I35 Luxury Sedan — Accelerating the Future with Power, Performance and Prestige

Infiniti unveiled the 2002 I35 luxury sedan at the 2001 New York International Auto Show. An evolution of the popular second generation I30 sedan, I35 features an all-new 260-horsepower 3.5-liter V6, new front and rear styling, standard 17-inch wheels and tires, an upgraded braking system, Vehicle Dynamic Control stability system, new exterior colors, more luxurious interior appointments and a new Sport Package.

"More than just the addition of a more powerful engine, the total package of enhancements gives the 2002 Infiniti I35 an even stronger, class-leading balance of authoritative performance, surprising luxury, outstanding driver control and confidence and the peace of mind that goes with owning an Infiniti," said Mark McNabb, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division.

The I35 will be available in a Luxury model with an available Sport Package. It goes on sale at more than 150 retailers nationwide in October 2001.

Optimum Performance
The most obvious change for I35 is the addition of a 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 producing 260 horsepower and 246 lb-ft of torque, increases of 33 horsepower and 29 lb-ft of torque over the 2001 I30's 3.0-liter engine.

The 3.5-liter V6 is part of the VQ engine series, which has won acclaim as one of the "Ten Best Engines" from Ward's AutoWorld for seven consecutive years. Besides the increased displacement, other enhancements made to the engine include a silent timing chain and electronically controlled throttle. A new engine cover gives the 3.5 a strong, clean appearance.

The engine also features a modular engine design, microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons, Nissan Variable Induction System (NVIS), digital knock control, six individual coils (one per spark plug) and double platinum-tipped spark plugs with a 100,000 mile tune-up interval.* An equal-length tuned exhaust with a variable capacity muffler adds power and gives I35 a quiet, yet throaty, sound.

Standard on all new I35s is a strengthened 4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission, along with a standard Traction Control System (TCS) which aids traction in off-the-line starts and slippery situations.

I35 provides a balance of ride and handling with a strut and coil spring front and Multi-Link Beam™ rear suspension, which minimizes camber changes during cornering. Large diameter front and rear stabilizer bars and speed-sensitive power rack-and-pinion steering help give I35 Luxury a smooth, controllable ride. A higher level of handling and stability is available with the sport-tuned suspension on Sport Package-equipped I35s.

Braking is provided by improved power-assisted 4-wheel disc brakes with larger front brake discs and a standard 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). Brake system upgrades for 2002 include two advanced systems — Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) which optimizes brake force depending on passenger and cargo load and Brake Assist, which reduces pedal effort to aid the driver in hard or panic braking situations.

Sport Package-equipped I35s come with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), a stability control system adopted from the 2002 Q45 sedan. VDC controls individual wheel brake pressure and engine torque automatically in understeer, oversteer or slippery road surface situations. Using a steering sensor, g-sensor, wheel speed sensors and brake pressure sensors, VDC can control individual wheel brake pressure and engine power to help bring I35 under control in potentially dangerous situations.**

*Under normal driving conditions, with routine fluid and filter changes. See your owner's manual for details.

**VDC system is designed to help improve driving stability but does not prevent accidents due to abrupt steering of by careless or dangerous driving techniques. Always drive safely.

A Refined Exterior
A new large, Q45-style horizontal grille, standard High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights and large fog lights combine function and style, giving I35 a more aggressive look. The side view of the I35 is dominated by large 17-inch luxury or sport design alloy wheels and for a performance look, side sill spoilers are included with the Sport Package (optional on Luxury). The rear end features a new smooth-styled trunk lid design, new jewel-like combination lamps, larger badging and low-restriction exhaust with chrome finishers. A rear spoiler is optional on Sport Package-equipped I35s.

Three new exterior colors are offered — a rich Ivory Pearl, Silver Alloy and Golden Sand, all chosen to complement I35's body lines.

A Luxurious Interior
I35 features a more luxurious interior with revised Sojourner leather-appointed seats, the signature Infiniti clock, gated automatic transmission shifter with leather-wrapped gearshift knob, an electroflorescent fine-vision meter cluster with multi-function trip computer, a new wood-tone accented center console, new wood-tone and leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel and variable sunroof switch (replacing the rocker-type switch). The new, optional Cold Weather Package includes heated front and rear seats, heated outside mirrors and heated steering wheel.

Standard equipment includes a BoseŽ 200-watt, 7-speaker premium audio system upgraded with AM/FM in-dash 6-disc CD changer, steering wheel audio controls, speed-sensitive volume control and Radio Data System (RDS) function. The I35 also includes popular features like a power-operated rear sunshade, 8-way power driver's seat and 4-way power passenger's seat, remote keyless entry with keyfob-operated front window down feature and automatic anti-glare rearview mirror with integrated digital compass. The 2002 I35 also offers a new, brighter interior color, Willow, in addition to the Beige and Graphite interior colors.

Optional on I35 is the power-operated dash-mounted flip-up Infiniti Navigation System. This navigation system includes the three-dimensional Birdview™ map display, which features an easy-to-read rolling display of roads, buildings and other points of interest, in addition to the traditional intersection/flat plane map images. A voice guidance system provides directions throughout the driver's journey, lowering radio volume when directions are spoken.*

*This is a factory-installed option. Never program while driving. Requires accurate GPS service to be available and operating for features to function properly. Mapping may not be detailed in all areas. Some Infiniti retailers may not appear on the current mapping system. Periodic updates to the DVD-ROM will be available at additional cost. See your Infiniti retailer for details. BirdView™ is a trademark of Xanavi Corporation.

Safety and Security
I35 comes with a full complement of standard safety features, including dual front supplemental air bags and dual front seat side-impact supplemental air bags, front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters and front-seat active head restraints, to help reduce neck injuries that may occur in rear end collisions. Additionally, I35 is equipped with a rigid bar child seat anchorage system called LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren), child safety rear door locks, an all-new trunk-mounted first aid kit and an emergency inside trunk-release.*

Also standard is the Vehicle Security System with Infiniti Immobilizer, which uses an electronically coded key recognized by the ignition system.

*Always wear your seat belts. Children under 12 should be in the rear seat properly restrained. With a front-passenger air bag, never place a rear-facing car seat in the front seat.

Models and Availability
The 2002 Infiniti I35 Luxury model offers numerous option packages to allow an I35 customer to tailor the vehicle to their exact taste, including the Infiniti Navigation System; the Cold Weather Package, featuring heated front and rear seats, leather-wrapped heated steering wheel and heated outside mirrors; and the Sunroof and Sunshade Package, which includes a power sliding-glass sunroof and rear window sunshade.

The Sport Package includes the Sunroof and Sunshade Package, sport-tuned suspension, 17-inch sport wheels, P225/50VR17 performance tires, Vehicle Dynamic Control and side sill spoilers. Optional on Sport Package-equipped I35s is the Chrome Wheel Package and a rear spoiler.

Standard on all Infinitis is The Total Ownership Experience (TOE), which offers an enhanced level of customer service, roadside assistance and service loan car support. Infiniti also offers The Infiniti Owner's Club, an Internet-based owner loyalty program accessible through the Infiniti website at www.infiniti.com. It features the Owner Extras area, which includes special offers on travel and events, and discounts on select merchandise, including consumer electronics and sportswear.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:27 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude that was long.. I know the I35 is supposed to be pretty luxurious but I rather spend less money and get the G35 which may come with a 6 speed manual on top of its 5 speed automatic... the G35 engine is supposed to have the same specs as the Nissan 350Z engine with approx. 280hp... the I35 will be a 4 speed auto.. bleck!
Old 07-18-2001, 12:33 AM
Retired Post Whore

THe G35 is supposed to the derivative of Nissan of Japan's SKYLINE. The TL-S is going to have competition when the I35 comes out and next summer they will release the 6 speed I35. I still wish our cars came with DOHC.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Infamuz:
<STRONG>THe G35 is supposed to the derivative of Nissan of Japan's SKYLINE. The TL-S is going to have competition when the I35 comes out and next summer they will release the 6 speed I35. I still wish our cars came with DOHC. </STRONG>
I never heard the I35 was getting a 6 speed?!?! Is it going to retain the 4-speed auto or change that to 5-speed?
Old 07-18-2001, 12:47 AM
Retired Post Whore

Im so pissed, my mom just bought the 2001 I35 in May and they are going to change it and make it faster in the Fall. Anyways, when I got the service done to her car, I was talking to the sales manager and he told me that that they are goign to release the 6 speed next summer. Remember, that this Fall the 2002 Maxima will have an option of 6 speed too along with the 260 HP.