Clutch is Spongy, weird sound coming from Clutch Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch is Spongy, weird sound coming from Clutch Slave Cylinder

A couple weeks ago, I started to notice my clutch pedal feeling very spongy. Weirder thing is on any gear, if i step press the gas down really fast, the car would lurch up (Car's rpm meter would go up 1k RPM + from the point it is at) before going back down to where it should be. I thought It would be air in the piping, so I bled it out. put new fluid in and pumped it through, making sure I didn't put air into it. It ended up making it worse, and now this problem is even occurring on first gear. Car has been sitting at home all weekend.

Another thing I noticed is that when the car is on, i noticed that when I pressed the little button on the slave Cylinder (to the right side) It would squeal like a belt would squeal. (this also attributed to making my clutch even worse after pressing it). I'm thinking that it might be a bad slave cylinder, but can anyone give me any thoughts/ideas before i go out and spend 70 bucks on a part i might not need?

Also, could someone confirm for me the correct method of bleeding and filling the clutch fluids? I couldn't find anything exact.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Per the repair manual:
Attach a hose to the bleeder screw, and suspend the hose in a container of brake fluid.
Make sure there is an adequate supply of fluid in the clutch master cylinder, then slowly pump the clutch pedal until no more bubbles appear at the bleeder hose.
It may be necessary to limit the movement of the release fork with a block of wood to remove all the air from the system.
Tighten the bleed screw to 6 lbf-ft; do not over tighten it.
Refill the clutch master cylinder with fluid when done.
Always use only Honda DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.
Confirm clutch operation and check for leaking fluid.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Thanks Zeta!

Can anyone help me as to the cause of the squeal from the slave cylinder when I press on the button to the right of the SC when the engine is on. It also seems to take a while before the button goes back to its original position.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe the valve in the slave is stuck open? That could possibly contribute to the spondgy-ness
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

would this be something that could be fixed/greased or would it be better to replace the unit? Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Update: I did the clutch bleed and fill as per the service manual, made sure there are no bubbles in my line, but still same problem. I noticed the squeal from the cylinder is actually not coming from the slave cylinder itself, but it sounds to be possibly scratching against some metal connected to the transmission housing. another thing is that i could release my clutch all the way on first gear with brakes on and it would not stall..

possible transmission problem?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by heyitsvu
..... I noticed the squeal from the cylinder is actually not coming from the slave cylinder itself, but it sounds to be possibly scratching against some metal connected to the transmission housing. another thing is that i could release my clutch all the way on first gear with brakes on and it would not stall..

possible transmission problem?
Your clutch is gone, tranny likely ok.