CLS vs 05 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I will probably race him twice just for the fun of it, one from a roll and one from stand still. I will never own a Ford (Found on Road Dead). But thanks anyway, when I race him, I will let you all know the results. It will be a little while, he wants to wait until his car is broken in.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
good luck. it will be ugly.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:54 PM
01 3.2 CL-s

Originally Posted by SocaliCLS
GTO will eat our cl's for lunch..

Yes indeed they are fast cars and will eat your cl very fast... i own a 385whp/275tq turboed eg civic that will tear GTOs and other cars a new asshole anyday of the week, i know i smoked a new 05 vetter just last week, do you want to buy the civic? its scares the shit out of people when they see this little civic go that fast on the highway...
Old 01-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by oneilc
With an automatic CLS how much HP can be gained through the addition of a supercharger, intercooler, and HBP? Assume current configuration is stock with headers + exhaust.

With I/H/E I put down 222whp. With the Supercharger + HBP I put down 295whp. With the intercooler i'm hoping for 340whp.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Roleez
No way the CLS would win. A FWD car vs. one with RWD and a V8 (auto or MT) is a no-brainer.

LOL you don't know shit about the potential on the CL-S, especially with boost.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by typeR
really? our? or your?...ive already beaten 2

Should we ask this question over on ls1gto.com again?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TypeSDriver
I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire here, but by adding headers and intake to the GTO it still walks whatever CL/TL Type-S you throw at it.

Well maybe a little 'vrrrrrooom... psst" from a turbo CL would still make it a race.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, you know what PONTIAC stands for.....
Old 01-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Racer

Wow, this turned into a flame war pretty quick!! Just for the record, I think that both cars are awesome. It all depends on what kind of car you really want. The GTO is a muscle car, and the CL-S is a luxury coupe with lots of potential. The real difference is the GTO stock is fast as hell and the CL-S stock is very quick and much more luxurious. I hear what you guys are saying about Pontiac's, but I've owned 2 GTP's and my fiance has had a GTP which she sold to buy the GTO. We've had nothing but great luck with all of our Pontiacs. I've also had no real problems to speak of with my TL-S. I personally love both Pontiac and Acura, and I'd have no qualms about buying another vehicle from either maker.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Team Owner

My dad owned a Boneville for 10 years and loved it. Nothing really wrong with the car the entire time he owned it, but the styling and performance Pontiac offered up until recently was disgusting.

I almost bought a GTP before I got the CL-S. Holy torque steer! Same way the Boneville was under WOT.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Racer

I agree with the styling comment with the exception of the GTP (97-03). I did and still do think that it's one of, if not the, best looking sedans on the road. I realize that it's just my personal opinion, so no need to get into another war of words.

It's funny that you mention torque steer with the GTP. My 2000 had a smaller pulley which added about 30 hp and 25 lb/ft of torque as well as an intake. I really didn't have any torque steer to speak of. It might have been the fact that I had Yokohama AVS dB tires on it, but I don't think the tires make much of a difference when it comes to torque steer.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Pro

After looking more at 05 GTO I like it significantly better then 04 besides the extra ponies.

It would be cool if you'd borrow your fiance's GTO and run against TypeR. What do you two say?

How 'bout "BRING IT ON.... "
Old 01-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by av6ent
After looking more at 05 GTO I like it significantly better then 04 besides the extra ponies.

It would be cool if you'd borrow your fiance's GTO and run against TypeR. What do you two say?

How 'bout "BRING IT ON.... "
were workin on that possibility
Old 01-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Racer

Yeah, if we go over there to visit her mom or grandmother I'm definitely going to let you know typeR. I think it would be a lot of fun. I'd get to meet a fellow Acura owner and have a fun race. Do you have a place where it's safe to race typeR?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeSDriver
Yeah, if we go over there to visit her mom or grandmother I'm definitely going to let you know typeR. I think it would be a lot of fun. I'd get to meet a fellow Acura owner and have a fun race. Do you have a place where it's safe to race typeR?
i have just the spot
Old 01-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Video required!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i know what u need... *A NEW CAR*
Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Mmmmm...sausage...

Originally Posted by ThinJim
Well, you know what PONTIAC stands for.....
Poor Ole Nerd Thinks It's A Corvette

Anyone have a 12 sec 1/4mile time slip with a CL out there?

It will take mid 12's to beat a STOCK GTO.

Stock 6MT GTO's have broken into the 12s and the 4ATs have gotten close to mid 12s. See time slips at ls2gto.com and dragtimes.com

Resurrecting an old thread,

Jabo
Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

You sure did. Nice find. I never saw this one.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
really? our? or your?...ive already beaten 2
serious, i need to know wht u did to ur car , the GTO aint no joke. so that means the sht is packing some cool heatttttttttttttttt.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by turbobumblbee
Yes indeed they are fast cars and will eat your cl very fast... i own a 385whp/275tq turboed eg civic that will tear GTOs and other cars a new asshole anyday of the week, i know i smoked a new 05 vetter just last week, do you want to buy the civic? its scares the shit out of people when they see this little civic go that fast on the highway...
385hp that sounds like a honda i used to know off it thats u , is this cheezefrog. ??

hw much is u selling it ??? Or is this a joke ??
Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The GTO will break you! There is no way you would beat him heads up. I would although like to see a roll from 40 mph or a race giving the CL 2-3 car lengths from the start. Since it's an auto you might have a driver's race if you have FI or a crazy set up like type R.

I don't see a 6 speed CL with an icebox and exhaust coming even close to that GTO no matter how the race is set up. The only way you would win is that the GTO driver gives you a ridiculous head start.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Mmmmm...sausage...

Here's a tip to hang with the GTO if it is a manual 6speed. Go from a 40-45mph roll if you can. At 25-30mph I am right in the "sweet-spot" of the torque curve going WOT from 2nd gear. Then at 50-55, I'm right in the sweet-spot for a 3rd gear kick.

Between 40-45 I'm a little too high RPM for 2nd and 3rd will drop me to about 25K rpm and I'll bog for a second.

If I were racing my old CL-S 5AT against a GTO, I would want to start about 40 and kick in D2 to be in vtec from the get go.

The GTO is a 3720lb car and is hard to lauch on street tires. But then the CL's FWD was a b*tch to launch as well. Go from a role!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
i know what u need... *A NEW CAR*
WHY THE HELL would you write this geek bucket.......I know what you need a new personality

can't wait to see the race. I luv CL'S but I have raced one and it was so fast even with me spraying a dual shot.....good luck
Old 07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i have an 07 tl-s and got raped by a gto......

twice
Old 07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraCl1
I have a question for everyone, my sisters boyfriend just bought a new 05 Pontiac GTO Automatic. It is nice, but my question is, what will it take for me to be faster then him. He has 400 hp, 400 tq, v8, 4 speed automatic. My mods are in my sig. Is there anything I can except for turbo to be able to beat him.
The only way you're beating a Pontiac GTO is buy a Pontiac GTO or a Mustang GT and drop some aftermarket components under the hood. American musclecars are designed specifically for this purpose - to be glorified with aftermarket parts - because it's cheaper for American manufacturers to roll out stripped down musclecars and leave it up to the consumer to chase after aftermarket companies to finish the job their broke asses couldn't.

There is no aftermarket part you can buy on planet earth that would prepare a CLS, 6 speed or automatic, to beat a GTO 4 speed automatic or 6 speed. You may have a chance with a turbo kit or a supercharger and thousands of dollars worth of other components but it's cheaper just to buy American IF your only goal is to beat a musclecar.

Look at it this way, though. The CLS is a far superior car in every way, shape and form to the GTO except in the horsepower and torque department.

I tried running against a GTO once in my 02' CLS and he left me sitting there from a 55mph rolling start like I was in park, and I didn't even hear a serious exhaust note from his car so he obviously wasn't even trying.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:19 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

Originally Posted by Sideswipe
The only way you're beating a Pontiac GTO is buy a Pontiac GTO or a Mustang GT and drop some aftermarket components under the hood. American musclecars are designed specifically for this purpose - to be glorified with aftermarket parts - because it's cheaper for American manufacturers to roll out stripped down musclecars and leave it up to the consumer to chase after aftermarket companies to finish the job their broke asses couldn't.

There is no aftermarket part you can buy on planet earth that would prepare a CLS, 6 speed or automatic, to beat a GTO 4 speed automatic or 6 speed. You may have a chance with a turbo kit or a supercharger and thousands of dollars worth of other components but it's cheaper just to buy American IF your only goal is to beat a musclecar.

Look at it this way, though. The CLS is a far superior car in every way, shape and form to the GTO except in the horsepower and torque department.

I tried running against a GTO once in my 02' CLS and he left me sitting there from a 55mph rolling start like I was in park, and I didn't even hear a serious exhaust note from his car so he obviously wasn't even trying.

I went from an 01 CLS auto (with navi) to an 06 gto 6 speed.

It was my first manual car, and after 2k miles I took it to the track (completely stock with 18 rims and 235 wide tires..so I had a lot of trouble with traction). Anyway, with the 2 month experience that I had driving manual, on my second run, i did 13.3 sec at 107mph. (temp was 65 and humidity was around 15%)

I currently have KDW 2 255's in the rear (everything else is still stock) and can get perfect, very fast shifts every time...with just these tires, i am sure i can do 12.9 or better at the track. For my CLS to do this (or a 6 speed cls) you are going to need minimum supercharger, plus many bolt-ons. And this is just 1/4 mile where the gto can not truly put down 400hp and 400ft/tq. If you try to race a gto from a roll, like you said, it is going to look like you are not even moving.

So lets say yo do get your CLS to run in the high 12's... how bout handling?
There is no comparison (stock for stock) as far as handling goes. The same turn that I took with the CLS doing 50 mph (that's when i broke traction and experienced under steer (i had 225 Khumos all around)) i took with the gto (all stock tires) doing 65mph and no sign on under steer OR OVER STEER. The RWD really keeps the car planted to the road and you can accelerate a lot more in a turn than you can with a FWD car.
So as far as performance goes, the GTO is obviously far more superior than the CLS.

As far as comfort and luxury goes, the GTO's ride is a lot more stiffer (specially from the 18inch rims), there is more road noise and exhaust noise. Shifting also can never be as smooth as an auto tranny even though I shift very easy and let the clutch out pretty slow when I have my parents in the car. It also lacks comfort/luxury features such as heated mirrors, HID's (i put in a very bright 8k HID kit for $350 myself) heated seats, sunroof and GPS system ( i had to pay $1,200 to put in an in-dash pioneer that looks OEM).

Some things in the interior that are better than my CLS are the true bucket seats (front and rear), that are A LOT more comfortable than the CLS seats (the leather is also better quality... i think it is leatheret though because it is very soft and does not crack), it has a nice trim and stitching on the seats, and there is suede on the doors and other parts of the interior. It is also a lot roomier and it has more leg room in the rear...it feels like a 4 door sedan instead of a coupe.
It has steering wheel mounted audio controls, and the computer is far more superior than the CLS's. It shows the radio display on the dash, and has features such as a stop watch, MPG, Range, digital MPH, digital oil pressure, RPM, voltage, and many other features such as controling how long you want the interior/exterior lights to stay on and changing the alarm system etc.

The CLS does shine in MPG because I only get around 11mpg in the city (i do drive it pretty hard, shifting above 3k rpm usually) but on the highway in 6th gear and around 70mph i easily do 26 MPG.

The GTO is not for everyone though (I am a collage student and the gto is only a weekend/summer driver) and it is very hard to say that the CLS is better in everything except speed, because even though I did some visual and performance upgrades to the CLS and it was always shiny and spot less (White on black leather) my simple black on black GTO turns a lot more heads than the CLS ever did. The CLS would get comments like "those are nice rims etc" but the gto gets comments like "oh sh1t...look a GTO" and it is the center of attention when going out to clubs/bars with friends. Also, I can take it to car shows with corvettes, Ferrari's, GT40's, shelby's etc and park it right in between them and pop the hood without feeling like i don't belong.

My point is that the GTO is more of a show car and will turn a lot more heads than a CLS.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:23 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

Here is the interior to my GTO (the only thing I changed is the navi)

And this was the interior of my CLS

Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Racer

Let's put things in perspective here, first of all, when you compare the GTO to the CLS. The GTO is a newer car that is designed more for performance than luxury. The CLS is an older car that's designed more for luxury than performance.

Okay right off the top I'm just going to tell you right now I'm not a Pontiac fan in the least. Never have been and never will be. There's this certain cheapness feel and look to Pontiac cars that has plagued them for decades. Back in the 90's I test drove the Trans Am with the LT-1 V8 and 6spd tranny first and test drove the Acura CL2.2 and went with the Acura.

For some reason a lot of young people on Acurazine have overlooked Acura's intended target audience when they decided to come out with the CLS. They intended to target an older audience (late 30's early 40's) that leaned more towards luxury than performance but you have people running around here in their early 20's trying to turn this car into something Acura didn't intend for the car to be. In my opinion the CLS is perfect for what it was designed to be - it was designed to out perform the BMW 330Ci at a lower price. In the New Millenium I checked out the CLS first and the GTO second. I went with the Acura again.

As far as comfort and luxury goes, the GTO's ride is a lot more stiffer (specially from the 18inch rims), there is more road noise and exhaust noise. Shifting also can never be as smooth as an auto tranny even though I shift very easy and let the clutch out pretty slow when I have my parents in the car. It also lacks comfort/luxury features such as heated mirrors, HID's (i put in a very bright 8k HID kit for $350 myself) heated seats, sunroof and GPS system ( i had to pay $1,200 to put in an in-dash pioneer that looks OEM).
I prefer the smoother ride and much less road and exhaust noise of the CLS. I clock a lot of highway miles as well as a lot of shitty bumper-to-bumper traffic, so I don't give a damn about a 6spd tranny. A lot of people on this site bitch and whine about the SS mode of the CLS but I love it. If I want the manual-like feel I can mess around with gate shifting. If I want some peace after a long day at work I'll keep it in auto.

I primarily purchased the CLS for the luxury features - no sunroof in the GTO? Fuck no!! No sunroof in the 350Z either? Forget it. And the G version has too many problems.

Some things in the interior that are better than my CLS are the true bucket seats (front and rear), that are A LOT more comfortable than the CLS seats (the leather is also better quality...
True bucket seats is not a good trade off considering all the other options the CLS offers.

It is also a lot roomier and it has more leg room in the rear...it feels like a 4 door sedan instead of a coupe.
Wait a minute. I thought we were talking about a sports car. Acura designed the CLS to be a coupe and to have a coupe feel. Pontiac got confused in that category with the GTO. If I wanted a sedan feel I would have purchased a Maxima or a TL.

It has steering wheel mounted audio controls, and the computer is far more superior than the CLS's. It shows the radio display on the dash, and has features such as a stop watch, MPG, Range, digital MPH, digital oil pressure, RPM, voltage, and many other features such as controling how long you want the interior/exterior lights to stay on and changing the alarm system etc.
Ummmmm, last time I checked the CLS also has steering wheel mounted audio controls. And hopefully with GTO being 5 years newer than the CLS you'd think the GTO would be better updated. But as far as this computer thing goes I don't know what you're talking about. Little video game do-dads like a digital MPH and a stop watch won't make me want go ga ga for a GTO especially when, once again, the GTO lacks so much more in the accessory/luxury department than the much older CLS.

The GTO is not for everyone though (I am a collage student and the gto is only a weekend/summer driver) and it is very hard to say that the CLS is better in everything except speed, because even though I did some visual and performance upgrades to the CLS and it was always shiny and spot less (White on black leather) my simple black on black GTO turns a lot more heads than the CLS ever did.
You're right. The GTO is not for me. I took a look at the car and simply walked away from it. Once again, considering the CLS is a much older car it is in my opinion just as good if not superior to the GTO in every category except obviously in the performance department. Pontiac has always been known, particularly, since the 80's, for trying to turn heads with edgy, flamboyant styling that gets old very quickly. I prefer the Acura's clean, minimalist styling.

Also, I can take it to car shows with corvettes, Ferrari's, GT40's, shelby's etc and park it right in between them and pop the hood without feeling like i don't belong.
Umm, when you place a Pontiac next to cars like Ferraris, GT40s and Corvettes you really don't belong whether you realize it or not. I'm not trying to be insulting I'm just telling you the truth.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by blueglows
Here is the interior to my GTO (the only thing I changed is the navi)

And this was the interior of my CLS

I sincerely fail to see where the GTO's interior design is so much better than the CLS's interior. And when you factor in the GTO being a much newer car and that's the best they can do, then frankly I'm disappointed.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Pro

^^^^ Amen!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
i believe pontiac hired rubbermaid for that interior. doesn't look that nice to me but then again GM/Chevrolet aren't known for nice interiors.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:43 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well those autos are making around 340whp stock I beleive (LS2 AT) if 02AV6's GTO is anything to use for comparison

So at 3700lbs you have the weight advantage, not a lot but its still there.
I've seen these trap at ~100 at LACR which is pretty good, I think it was a mnaual though, at the time that night I was trapping at ~97.

Hopefully those chrome wheels weigh a lot, the stock ones are 26lbs, try and get the GTO when its heat soaking too, that will help you out tremendously. I know I cna take out a LS1 AT while being NA haven't tried a LS2 AT or MT. Although I did see an AT LS2 and that thing has torque! Traps for both cars are similar given identical conditions, or just simialr for that matter.

At least he has some torque to compete with, unlike us NA guys hoping to compete with our peak hp numbers while trying to stay in our powerband hoping the other guy runs out of gears.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
i believe pontiac hired rubbermaid for that interior. doesn't look that nice to me but then again GM/Chevrolet aren't known for nice interiors.
Is is just me or does anyone else feel like they're sitting in the deluxe ZAXXON or Atari POLE POSITION video game console in the Arcade at the mall back when you were a kid when you sit in a Pontiac ?

By the way, did anyone notice the BOOT on the stick in the GTO (On a late model car)? The last boot I remember seeing on a car was in a 1985 Nissan Maxima.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 PM

Is is just me or does anyone else feel like they're sitting in the deluxe ZAXXON or Atari POLE POSITION video game console in the Arcade at the mall back when you were a kid when you sit in a Pontiac ?

By the way, did anyone notice the BOOT on the stick in the GTO (On a late model car)? The last boot I remember seeing on a car was in a 1985 Nissan Maxima.
I think the interior looks better in person, it competes with the Corvette's interior IMO.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

cool read. Very interesting read.........
and the truth ws told. I love d CL, i wish it had more power but yes it does what it was designed to do well.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:09 AM
SleepinCLS

The 2005 GTO's run a 4.8 0-60 time and 13.0 1/4 mile.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by E-MONEY
The 2005 GTO's run a 4.8 0-60 time and 13.0 1/4 mile.
Honestly those times don't mean much, you can say a car has the potential to do so and so, but i've seen these GTO's run mid 14's at LACR with a decent driver, so there are a lot of variables that can turn the table and persuade you that your CL still has a chance. However they do dyno around 360whp if Serges GTO can be used as an example of an LS2 AT with only a few small mods.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
I think the interior looks better in person, it competes with the Corvette's interior IMO.
I've seen the interior in person. I saw one with two tone black and red interior .

I don't dig two tone anything inside or out and having two tone bucket seats with red stripes and badges and shit splashed all over the place made me sick to my stomach.

Reminded me too much of the inside of that Blue Thunder helicopter that was a knock off of the 'Airwolf' television series. :theghey:
Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 PM

I've seen the interior in person. I saw one with two tone black and red interior .

I don't dig two tone anything inside or out and having two tone bucket seats with red stripes and badges and shit splashed all over the place made me sick to my stomach.

Reminded me too much of the inside of that Blue Thunder helicopter that was a knock off of the 'Airwolf' television series. :theghey:
Haha, "airwolf" well its been a while since i've sat in one so i'll tak another look. I just think the design layout is more modern then that of the Corvette. Either way it would be nice to have all that torque.

Quick Reply: CLS vs 05 GTO