AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL (2001-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/)
-   -   classic CL-P vs. CL-S! (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/classic-cl-p-vs-cl-s-488483/)

'01White3.2CL 06-25-2007 10:14 AM

classic CL-P vs. CL-S!

somone moved my other thread, i have to repost this. i tell you put a badge on someone and they think they own a place. :rolleyes: im joking!!!! :thumbsup:

so anyway, i have a CL-P with Comptech headers and Comptech Intake :workout: . heres the math: (tell me if i wrong)

1)225HP stock X 25% loss at wheels = 170HP @ wheels
2)Comptech headers=+16HP (on CL-P)= 186HP @ wheels
3)Comptech Intake = +10-15HP = 196-201HP@wheels

now stock CL-S = 260HP stock X 25% loss at wheels = 195HP @ wheels.

now since the extra 1 to 5 HP i claim doesnt make a difference, would my CL-P at least be as fast as a stock CL-S?!????

NOTE: i dont care about adding up $$$. Look im only 18, and at the time of buying my car, i could only afford a LOW-Mileage CL-P, there were no CL-S DEALS! and believe me i looked!! so NOOOO, i shouldnt have bought a CL-S from the beginning. lol!

thanks for any feedback!

BIBLIOGRAPHY :bored:
and that 25% loss came from a search on our very own...the +16HP and +10HP @ wheels came from Comptech's webiste...

JohnBlayz142 06-25-2007 10:16 AM

:rolleyes: Races are won on the track, not on a piece of paper.

'01White3.2CL 06-25-2007 10:20 AM

ok... ... ... ...that does nothing for me. then why post any HP #'s at all? oh ok i see, we all race...right!! :rolleyes: jeez, make someone think they're "stealthy" and then suddenly their hotshit...ok one person doesn't have the answer...too much math? next:

wow, CL-P owners dont get much respect.

-Luigi

3.2CLS 06-25-2007 10:31 AM

No need to get mad at him, he was just pointing out that no matter what the numbers are, it's how you drive it and how it's put down on the track.

But back to your math, there's really no fixed drivetrain loss that determines how much each car loses at the wheels, but it's realistically closer to 16-22% loss.

Secondly, Comptech Icebox does NOT add 10-15whp, more like 5-7whp, 10-15 crank HP. But nonetheless, based on your 25% loss, you should be around 190whp if I had to guess.

Just so you know though, a stock CL-S puts down between 200-206whp.

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

cbusAcuracls 06-25-2007 10:32 AM

I've seen stock 03 6speed type S's dyno at 220hp not 195.
Also I don't think any intake gives you 10-15 hp....I know they claim to but I've had three different kinds and never felt a huge diff. between them all...including stock box with resonator removed. Maybe 5 hpat the most. Of course they claim 10-15 because who's going to spend $300 for 5 ponies more? Just my :2cents:

If its that much of a deal sell the CL-P and buy a CL-S. CL-S's have better suspension and gearing so that makes all the difference...even though stock suspension sucks.

SuperTrooper169 06-25-2007 10:33 AM

I'd say you should be pretty close, but the gearing on a CL-P and a CL-S is different if my memory serves me right, CL-S is more aggressive gearing, so you might still be slightly behind, but it would probably be a drivers race. That's your CL-P verses a completely stock CL-S auto. Now if it's a CL-S6 you still wouldn't stand a chance.

As far as the hp #s go that you got off the Comptech website, I'd be really surprised if those numbers are to the wheels. I know it says it but you have to be careful with what claims of hp are and what it actually equates to.

Hope that helps. Nice mods for a CL-P though!

cbusAcuracls 06-25-2007 10:35 AM

ha ha ha...3.2cls beat me and I beat supertrooper to the post..ha ha.

'01White3.2CL 06-25-2007 10:36 AM

yes this does help. Thanks a lot!!! i just find it really interesting to see where im at now, but i say again it really doesn't matter to me in the long run. with college now, i estimate ill be putting 70,000 miles (5 years) on her going back and forth daily putting me at a grand total of 125,000miles: should still be healthy then! :thumbsup: Acks last, just hoping my tranny stays put which is why i got comptech's tranny cooler as well!

actually im gonna try to test drive a CL-S this wednesday, so as the guy said before, ill give it a little test out physically instead of mentally. (i did get kinda mad lol, but he has a point.)

thanks again.
-Luigi

'01White3.2CL 06-25-2007 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
I'd say you should be pretty close, but it would probably be a drivers race. That's your CL-P verses a COMPLETELY STOCK CL-S auto. Now if it's a CL-S6 you still wouldn't stand a chance.

btw, i was just putting myself against a STOCK CL-S, i know 6 speeds get the extra 20 or so HP's @ wheels. maybe after all the mileage add ons for college, ill be looking for a CL-S6! then put the headers, intake, tranny cooler there and im set!

some would say get in another car, but realistically why not stay with what you know especially when the mods can transfer over depending on wear and tear in the future. thats Plan A we'll see. :thumbsup:

but thanks again everyone

fuzzy02CLS 06-25-2007 12:12 PM

Your still behind a stock CLS, Get over it.

All that $ wasted on mods when you could have saved that $ & bought a CLS from the start.

The CLP should have not been made.

Dirty Type-S 06-25-2007 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS

M.J.H. 06-25-2007 04:00 PM

::

jlspeed29 06-25-2007 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Type-S

+1 .....wait no......
+100 :tomato: lmfao....

pits200 06-25-2007 06:50 PM

Don't forget about the higher rpms of the Type S.

No matter what the headers and icebox add, those won't change the fact that the guy in the type s can take his rpms 500 higher.

CLS6SpeedNupe 06-26-2007 01:20 AM

[QUOTE=' Look im only 18[/QUOTE]

Thats all i needed to here, lol

Crawl before you walk kid, you should have got a civic or something. I think our cars are to dangerous for todays youth. lol

Mr3.2S 06-26-2007 01:42 AM

interesting....

SuperTrooper169 06-26-2007 02:01 AM

I disagree. I think for someone not interested in the performance side of the CL, it's a great car. At least it's still a V6 and is luxurious. And it's not like comparing a V8 Mustang GT to a 4 cylinder or V6 Mustang. There is an example of a car that shouldn't have ever been made.

Then there's people like GreenMachine aka BigLizard who has done pretty much every possible mod to his CL-P and can actually take out a stock CL-S. So if you're willing to sacrifice a lot of money and time to have a CL-P perform as well as a Type S then it's all good, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they should have never made them. Plus it gives the Type S a certain exclusiveness that wouldn't be there if they only made a Type S.

But... bolting on headers and an intake isn't going to make your CL-P a Type S.

Joe5.0 06-26-2007 02:10 AM

Without the CL-P there would be no CL-S, period. Just like w/o the 6 banger Mustang there would be no V8's.

You guys saying there should bo no CL-P are being elitists, and kind of assholes.

I say mod it if you want, but dont expect the same power gains as a CL-S. Remember you dont have the compression ratio, dual stage intake, or ecu tuning that the CL-S does. The reason the CL-S responds so well to NA mods is because of those things.

Just mod your car how you want, get it to the track to see YOUR progress, and enjoy driving it.

At 18 I was driving a 100k mile Bonneville, so you're ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned. :2cents:

BigLizard 06-26-2007 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
somone moved my other thread, i have to repost this. i tell you put a badge on someone and they think they own a place. :rolleyes: im joking!!!! :thumbsup:

so anyway, i have a CL-P with Comptech headers and Comptech Intake :workout: . heres the math: (tell me if i wrong)

1)225HP stock X 25% loss at wheels = 170HP @ wheels
2)Comptech headers=+16HP (on CL-P)= 186HP @ wheels
3)Comptech Intake = +10-15HP = 196-201HP@wheels

now stock CL-S = 260HP stock X 25% loss at wheels = 195HP @ wheels.

now since the extra 1 to 5 HP i claim doesnt make a difference, would my CL-P at least be as fast as a stock CL-S?!????

NOTE: i dont care about adding up $$$. Look im only 18, and at the time of buying my car, i could only afford a LOW-Mileage CL-P, there were no CL-S DEALS! and believe me i looked!! so NOOOO, i shouldnt have bought a CL-S from the beginning. lol!

thanks for any feedback!

BIBLIOGRAPHY :bored:
and that 25% loss came from a search on our very own...the +16HP and +10HP @ wheels came from Comptech's webiste...

check out my CL-P in teh dyno listings :thumbsup:

'01White3.2CL 06-26-2007 07:30 PM

you guys are the biggest assholes there are. SO cocky its unbelievable!! cant take it that an 18 year old is close to your car (yes not exactly there!!!, i get it). bunch of yuppies!!cant afford anything nicer so you attack the teenager whos right on your ass: :cuss:

:toocool: ok forget the anger for a sec :thumbsup: . i would like to add that i bought the LOW MILEAGE CL-P---> WITH MY OWN MONEY. no parents spoiling kids here...great car compared to friends. thats for sure. sorry i couldnt afford the CL-S when i was 16!!

ok. as you were...wait minus the cockiness. :yum: dont be jealous, remember in the end, my car is slower...

does that calm you people down. WOW!

Joe5.0 06-26-2007 07:46 PM

ok ok ok, settle down there junior lol

j/k :)

Thats good you paid for it yourself, but most people on here have also, I would assume. The CL in general is the poor man's luxury car, so its not like there are a bunch of spoiled kids out craving FWD, V6, blandly styled 2+2's. ;)

Just enjoy your car, and get it to the track to see how much your mods have benefited your acceleration. :thumbsup:

pits200 06-27-2007 11:04 AM

You have to expect some opinions when you are asking a question that has no definitive answer.

No one really knows which one will be faster when you add headers and CAI, its not an exact science. Just because someone tosses out an opinion about the CL-P, that doesn't represent the opinions of everyone else.

I for one can tell you from both sides.

I have a 2000 TL-P, no type S during that year ...

I also have a 2001 CL-S..

They are both good cars, if you mod the suspension of your P, it will ride exactly as my Type S does. The only thing that is ridiculous to change is the seats, but thats not a big deal. Besides that, you can make your car into what everyone else does and still use 87 gas you lucky bastard.

Trust me, most of us aren't hating on the CL-P, its a solid car and very similar to the S. Hook up the mods and show us whats up.

Also, watch the attitude, it isn't going to win you alot of friends on this board. Most of us who might be little older and have the CL-S can afford a nicer car, but don't want to spend the money on a minimal gain in terms of performance vs value.

Atleast thats why I am still holding back.

cls413MA 06-27-2007 11:08 AM

i bought a cl-s when i was 16. before i had my license even. no help from parents. no1 is saying you have a crap car, theyre just pointing out that going with a cl-s from the start would have been a better choice if you wanted performance instead of cl-p + mods

andre 06-27-2007 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
The CL in general is the poor man's luxury car

i dont even consider it a "luxury sports coupe", it's a 2 door honda accord.

ML03CLS 06-27-2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by andre
i dont even consider it a "luxury sports coupe", it's a 2 door honda accord.

Glorified 2-door Accord.. thats pretty much what I consider it as well.

Reason I'm holding onto it is to have a nice dependable, reasonably powerful and economical daily driver. Plus being paid for, it'd be stupid to get rid of it. :thumbsup:

fuzzy02CLS 06-27-2007 12:45 PM

I'm talking business....

Why have 2 cars that are the same with the exception of some more minor performance difference?
Really the CLP & CLS & even the same years TL & TLS are the same. There are little differences that should have been an option package instead of a another car. It makes no sense from a business point of view.

If the CLS had a great performance difference I could see it. Like with the mustang. There's a BIG difference from that V6 to the V8. A big difference in speed & sound.

The CLP/CLS still have V6's. The price difference is also not much different.

Having the CLP helped kill the CL line. Having a lower end model with such a small performance difference kills resale for the entire line as well :2cents:

Also I have to point out that this was a $30K car in 01 now hitting well used markets at $12K & below(well below for some models)

So now it's in the affordable range for many young(21 & under) crowds.

IMHO if your looking into a CL there's no reason you can't afford a type S instead of a P. Give up some fast food for a few weeks or beer, or less parting.

CL in PR 06-27-2007 03:53 PM

Well, I live the best of both worlds.For me the types S is very nice performance car and sporty looks(No Doubt About It) but the Type s cars present a lot of problem with transmition faliure even More than CL-P`s.If you see more of Type S owner has Change this trans 1 - 5 times! The reason : make more power ( 35 hp) to this piece of shit trans and burn the internals more easy.I own a gold C L-P (Complete Gold Package,wood trim,Type S spoiler,Type 03 Wheels oem,Black housing headlight 03, bumper insert 03,taillight 03) 85,000 miles original tranny(Shift Smooth JEjE!) color gold and the complete TYPE S Looks !!. if I want speed All i need to Do is go to the speedway (Puerto Rico) with My CRX 91 Turbo 1.8 vtech ( 10.19 @ 150 mph) . I think 35 more in my Cl-P is not important to me!

SuperTrooper169 06-27-2007 05:16 PM

I'm talking business....

Why have 2 cars that are the same with the exception of some more minor performance difference?
Really the CLP & CLS & even the same years TL & TLS are the same. There are little differences that should have been an option package instead of a another car. It makes no sense from a business point of view.

If the CLS had a great performance difference I could see it. Like with the mustang. There's a BIG difference from that V6 to the V8. A big difference in speed & sound.

The CLP/CLS still have V6's. The price difference is also not much different.

Having the CLP helped kill the CL line. Having a lower end model with such a small performance difference kills resale for the entire line as well :2cents:

Also I have to point out that this was a $30K car in 01 now hitting well used markets at $12K & below(well below for some models)

So now it's in the affordable range for many young(21 & under) crowds.

IMHO if your looking into a CL there's no reason you can't afford a type S instead of a P. Give up some fast food for a few weeks or beer, or less parting.

I <3 E-dabates. :tongue:

I totally disagree. Almost every car company has multiple models built on the same chassis and/or uses the same engine across the multiple lines. The point is to get as many different models to the widest range of consumers using the least amount of model specific parts. If they only made the CL-S they would've pigeon holed themselves to only offering a two door luxury sports coupe. People with families or that have occupations that require driving more than one other person around would be sh*t out of luck if they didn't offer the TL.

Also not everyone in this world is performance minded. For instance my parents own an 06 Pontiac GTO and put 87 octane in the tank. Reason being they had a 68 GTO back in the day and they bought it more for a nostalgic reason than performance. And lets not forget that hot rodding was built on the idea of taking an average car and modifying it to go faster or handle better. Dudes back in the 40's and 50's weren't buying factory performance cars back then, they were modifying the common mans car and adding their own custom touches.

pits200 06-27-2007 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by CL in PR
but the Type s cars present a lot of problem with transmition faliure even More than CL-P`s.If you see more of Type S owner has Change this trans 1 - 5 times! The reason : make more power ( 35 hp) to this piece of shit trans and burn the internals more easy.

This is not true, the problem with the transmission is not more prevalent with the Type S because it makes more power.

The reason you hear about it more on this board and people with the type S is because more people on this board own the type s and not the type p.

So obviously more stories are going to be told bout the S.

CL in PR 06-27-2007 06:40 PM

Well, I disagree with you pits 200. let me show something:

The Survey was done on vehicles sold by the end of AUG 2001 and the CL PREM total was 14570 and CL Sport (Type-S) was 21629. (EricL Note: The Grand total for trouble codes/defects.) The amount sold by subtype (NAVI vs. non-Navi is not present).

GRAND TOTALS (Code registered by each OBDII category are summed for total.)
-----------------------
CL 65
CL NAVI 11
TYPE-S 145

BY EricL (transmitions recall Section)

Most of people of this board own a type 5 because offer 35 hp than CL-P and sporty looks value and performance but the true is the mayor of owners of type S have the most trans fried and replaced ( 1- 5). Right Now I have A CL-P and I prefer A CL-P without 35 Like I own and running more safe.

Acura CL- P 2001 gold
91 Crx 1.8 turbo (10.19 @ 150, 564 whp 467 torque)

CL in PR 06-27-2007 07:00 PM

True is make more HP, more tq, fried and burn more easy

fuzzy02CLS 06-27-2007 07:07 PM

I totally disagree. Almost every car company has multiple models built on the same chassis and/or uses the same engine across the multiple lines. The point is to get as many different models to the widest range of consumers using the least amount of model specific parts. If they only made the CL-S they would've pigeon holed themselves to only offering a two door luxury sports coupe. People with families or that have occupations that require driving more than one other person around would be sh*t out of luck if they didn't offer the TL.
Not saying throw out the TL just the p versions.

I don't consider the CLP & CLS different models. Almost all parts are shared between the 2 of them. The only difference is a slightly stiffer suspension, steering, bigger rims & a slight bump in HP, & then some minor interior changes. These things could have been achieved with an option package instead of a totally different marketed car. That's my point.

pits200 06-27-2007 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by CL in PR
Well, I disagree with you pits 200. let me show something:

The Survey was done on vehicles sold by the end of AUG 2001 and the CL PREM total was 14570 and CL Sport (Type-S) was 21629. (EricL Note: The Grand total for trouble codes/defects.) The amount sold by subtype (NAVI vs. non-Navi is not present).

GRAND TOTALS (Code registered by each OBDII category are summed for total.)
-----------------------
CL 65
CL NAVI 11
TYPE-S 145

BY EricL (transmitions recall Section)

Most of people of this board own a type 5 because offer 35 hp than CL-P and sporty looks value and performance but the true is the mayor of owners of type S have the most trans fried and replaced ( 1- 5). Right Now I have A CL-P and I prefer A CL-P without 35 Like I own and running more safe.

Acura CL- P 2001 gold
91 Crx 1.8 turbo (10.19 @ 150, 564 whp 467 torque)

LOL, i dont know how much I believe stats from someone who doesn't know how to spell transmition.

CL in PR 06-27-2007 09:26 PM

I,m not data entry expert. lol! the important here is you understand right? . You know my point is true . I,m honda Acura entusiast for about 10 years (maybe you are in diapers at this time) when I start building drag racing hondas and acuras here in my country with my friends.So i know is hurts read the true . Is believe or not in stats, No! is about experience buddy!

'01White3.2CL 06-27-2007 11:04 PM

sorry i just like to spice up my threads!! :thumbsup: no but i felt attacked at the time. i dont see much respect for the CL-P so i felt i had to defend something...after a few days to calm my hot-tempered italian ass down, i realize that i was more curious than trying to claim anything. i believe i wrote this from the beginning: but in the end, i could care less. i just wanted to see if my hard earned money was getting me some kind of status. IN reality, i'm extremely happy with the mods and i recommend ALL COMPTECH PARTS to everyone here!! really worth the money!!!

so in the end im happy with my car...and this thread, turned into a really interesting subject. and I'm sorry for being the usualy stereotypical cocky 18 year old and for any offense...post on!

SuperTrooper169 06-28-2007 12:50 AM

Not saying throw out the TL just the p versions.

I don't consider the CLP & CLS different models. Almost all parts are shared between the 2 of them. The only difference is a slightly stiffer suspension, steering, bigger rims & a slight bump in HP, & then some minor interior changes. These things could have been achieved with an option package instead of a totally different marketed car. That's my point.

Oh, okay, now I gotcha. I read it wrong. I thought you were saying they shouldn't have had made the TL along side the CL. You're saying Premium vs. Type S. Makes sense. But at the same time, that's so common, for shared engine sizes but bumps in HP and handling and renamed a different variant of the same model. Plus I don't consider 35 HP a slight bump in HP, that's a pretty significant jump especially for Honda. Think about the new TL vs. Type S. What is it like an 18 HP difference between the two?

Again my point is that without the Premium the Type S would be so much more ordinary and not as exclusive. I like knowing I have the creme of the crop CL.

cbusAcuracls 06-29-2007 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Oh, okay, now I gotcha. I read it wrong. I thought you were saying they shouldn't have had made the TL along side the CL. You're saying Premium vs. Type S. Makes sense. But at the same time, that's so common, for shared engine sizes but bumps in HP and handling and renamed a different variant of the same model. Plus I don't consider 35 HP a slight bump in HP, that's a pretty significant jump especially for Honda. Think about the new TL vs. Type S. What is it like an 18 HP difference between the two?

Again my point is that without the Premium the Type S would be so much more ordinary and not as exclusive. I like knowing I have the creme of the crop CL.

I agree with you totally.
but just for correction its 28hp diff. between 3G TL (258) and TL-S (286).

And correction for Fuzzy02CLS there is a little more to the engine internals on the CL-S than CL-P as well. 500 more redline, Dual stage induction system..but in all fairness they are both great cars.
Also as previous stated by CL in PR that the CL-P is more realiable transmission wise to the CL-S is complete bull. Both are just as prone to the failure. I drive a 2001 CL-S with the original tranny and haven't had a single problem but my friend with a 2002 TL-P has had his replaced twice. So just a friendly warning don't think your safe if you drive a CL-P or TL-P.

pits200 06-29-2007 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
Also as previous stated by CL in PR that the CL-P is more realiable transmission wise to the CL-S is complete bull. Both are just as prone to the failure. I drive a 2001 CL-S with the original tranny and haven't had a single problem but my friend with a 2002 TL-P has had his replaced twice. So just a friendly warning don't think your safe if you drive a CL-P or TL-P.

I know, he makes it sound like the 35hp difference is going to fry the Type S transmissions faster than the P model.

I just gave up, because he is trying to relate this tranny problem with other cars that have transmission issue due to longevity or high hp.

cbusAcuracls 06-29-2007 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by pits200
I know, he makes it sound like the 35hp difference is going to fry the Type S transmissions faster than the P model.

I just gave up, because he is trying to relate this tranny problem with other cars that have transmission issue due to longevity or high hp.

I know....I felt your pain trying to explain it to him.

I know he's no data entry person...but d*mn at least proof read what you type so you don't sound like a complete moron when you post. I don't care how many honda's you built and race in your country if you can't communicate nobody is going to take you seriously.

CL in PR 06-29-2007 10:32 PM

I just want to tell you and all on this forum this is my last post.English is my second language ( I just try to do my best) and I think you and your friends in this post fail to make me feel like a moron just for make a little mistake when I try to post . The only reason I,m here in this forum is just to change with others impressions and experience of this excelents Car all we love like me with passion (Hondas And Acuras) Dont worry! I know you dont care about me and my experience for long years with this cars , But is priceless. Thanks to try to make me feel like a moron but maybe few people here (Not ALL) is more moron than me(I speak two) . I Just wait a ACURA ZINE moderator take the chance to see this. Good luck!

Adios Amigos !!!

Acura CL-P 2001 gold
91 Crx Si 1.8 Vtech ( 10.19 @ 150 , 564 whp 467 tq )