The CL-S vs. American muscle

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CL-S vs. American muscle

I was down in Tucson two weekends ago and met up with a couple friends for a little car fun... One friend has a freshly restored '68 Camaro with a rebuilt 350. Holly 750 carb, full 3" dual exhaust with a custom X-crossover pipe. The car sounds like a race car even at idle with the cam lope. My other friend’s car was a brand new Honda Prelude. We did a bunch of G-tech runs on a completely deserted road on the outskirts of town. There was no traffic whatsoever on this road, and the runs were done in the middle of the afternoon so the temp was well above 110. The Honda's best was something like 16.3, mine was around 15.3 and the Chevy was also around 16.3 due to extremely poor traction. He really needs to work on his launch. He doesn't have his posi rear-end or traction bars installed yet so the one wheel putting power down was hard to keep from massively spinning. The Chevy's 1/4 speed was higher (99mph) compared to our imports though. At the end, the Chevy and I did a drag and as predicted by the G-tech times, I was ahead up until around 95. With his tire spin, his was playing catch-up the whole time until a little after the 1/4 mile mark where he just completely overpowered the Acura and flew by.

I rode with him during the G-tech runs and it was a huge rush from all the noise, tire smoke and just raw visceral feeling of power. He rode with me during my G-tech runs and the ride seemed downright wimpy due to it's civility compared to his car but the fact was that it was faster in the 1/4 and that was a huge eye-opener for him. To the Honda's credit, we took it up some twisty mountain roads the day before and it cornered beyond anything the CL-S was capable of (I don't have upgraded sway bars). There are a couple other pics here:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9489&f=0&vt=vp

Old 07-03-2001, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like LOADs of FUN ! But isn't it Nice Having all that Speed and ALL that Style and Class together in ONE Package w/ the Acura !

I'll take classy speed over Pure Visceral Muscle Power 95 % of the time

Still 5 % of me that likes to Hop in a Muscle Car, where I can Feel and hear the Power.

Originally posted by tinman:
<STRONG>I was down in Tucson two weekends ago and met up with a couple friends for a little car fun... One friend has a freshly restored '68 Camaro with a rebuilt 350. Holly 750 carb, full 3" dual exhaust with a custom X-crossover pipe. The car sounds like a race car even at idle with the cam lope. My other friend’s car was a brand new Honda Prelude. We did a bunch of G-tech runs on a completely deserted road on the outskirts of town. There was no traffic whatsoever on this road, and the runs were done in the middle of the afternoon so the temp was well above 110. The Honda's best was something like 16.3, mine was around 15.3 and the Chevy was also around 16.3 due to extremely poor traction. He really needs to work on his launch. He doesn't have his posi rear-end or traction bars installed yet so the one wheel putting power down was hard to keep from massively spinning. The Chevy's 1/4 speed was higher (99mph) compared to our imports though. At the end, the Chevy and I did a drag and as predicted by the G-tech times, I was ahead up until around 95. With his tire spin, his was playing catch-up the whole time until a little after the 1/4 mile mark where he just completely overpowered the Acura and flew by.

I rode with him during the G-tech runs and it was a huge rush from all the noise, tire smoke and just raw visceral feeling of power. He rode with me during my G-tech runs and the ride seemed downright wimpy due to it's civility compared to his car but the fact was that it was faster in the 1/4 and that was a huge eye-opener for him. To the Honda's credit, we took it up some twisty mountain roads the day before and it cornered beyond anything the CL-S was capable of (I don't have upgraded sway bars). There are a couple other pics here:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9489&f=0&vt=vp

</STRONG>
Old 07-04-2001, 12:07 AM
Racer

thats some awesome stuff

Those 3 cars just happen to be 3 of my favorites....If the camaro had the posi it would probably keep up with you in the 1/4...and if you were on a track the prelude would at least keep up with both cuz of its handling.

I would love to see all of those cars race around a track....it would probably be close
Old 07-04-2001, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by caddy:
<STRONG>Sounds like LOADs of FUN ! But isn't it Nice Having all that Speed and ALL that Style and Class together in ONE Package w/ the Acura !

I'll take classy speed over Pure Visceral Muscle Power 95 % of the time

Still 5 % of me that likes to Hop in a Muscle Car, where I can Feel and hear the Power. </STRONG>
Exactly! That's why I kept my 5.0 Mustang instead of trading it in but for some reason, I very rarely seem to drive it anymore. I'd rather be pampered than abused by what I'm driving!
Old 07-04-2001, 12:15 AM
Banned

I think every guy wants to have a Cambird at one point or another.
Here I am at the shore and there are two Firebirds, one is a Vert. I talked to the owner and he seems OK. Anyway, American muscle is nice to have... but practicality has to come into play. In PA we have these winters where having 300hp is not a good thing w/o traction control and mediocre handling. Not everyone can afford to have a Summer and winter car. Now it I lived in California, you'd probably see me in something RWD and powerfull. But until I get that dream job in Southern California, Its FWD for me.
Old 07-04-2001, 01:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Great pics!! That old Camaro is beautiful. It's nice to see stuff like that in AZ. It seems like I rarely see old muscle cars out here - at least nothing like what I used to see in Indy.

Were you out by SIR? I could definitely ID the Rincon Mtns in one pic and it looked like the Catalinas were pretty far away.
Old 07-04-2001, 01:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Damn Gold, good eye!! you pinpointed it pretty accurately... We were just a little north of there, east of the Rita Ranch area. It was a great spot. A perfectly clear and wide stretch of rarely used road.

Yeah, I was lusting after his car. He's really done a nice job on it so far plus it was music hearing his exhaust tone and burnouts.
Old 07-04-2001, 01:59 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice lookin' Camaro. I want a classic musclecar one day.

-J
Old 07-04-2001, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I definitely want one also. There's a picture of his engine at the link above and it couldn't be any easier to work on. It would have to be a weekend car though since the interiors on those cars are pretty crude compared to today’s cars...
Old 07-05-2001, 02:02 AM
Banned

Don't get ANY American car if you're in it for the long haul. I've riden in year old Camaros that sounded like they hav 160,000 miles on them.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Maybe that's one of the reasons GM is killing the Camaro. To counter that experience with an American car, here's another example: I've personally put over 182,000 hard miles on my Mustang (bought it new) and the engine is still running as strong as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot with not even one major repair to it. Sure, there have been little problems with other things on the car over the years but that engine is rock-solid and the car is still a lot of fun drive (at least on short trips!). There are good and bad examples of every type of car, including the CL. Statistically speaking, you’re probably right that American cars still have more problems compared to imports but the quality has been dramatically improving in the domestics and will hopefully continue to improve...
Old 07-05-2001, 06:31 AM
Honkey

In my honest opinion it almost seems like the quality of some imports (i.e. Acura) seems to be getting worse. But maybe I'm just a little bitter because I had to listen to my rear deck rattle all day long.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:53 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

As the owner of a 68 Pontiac LeMans 400 convertible I can agree with you about the power. It makes a lotta noise and doesn't get anywhere real fast. It looks good and it sounds good. There is NOTHING like the sound of an American OHV V8 through GlasPaks!

Old 07-05-2001, 10:58 AM
SatinCL

Hey GTO:

Where was that pic taken?
Old 07-05-2001, 12:04 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by 4pumpedCL:
<STRONG>In my honest opinion it almost seems like the quality of some imports (i.e. Acura) seems to be getting worse. But maybe I'm just a little bitter because I had to listen to my rear deck rattle all day long.</STRONG>
Yeah, this probably has to do with the fact that they technically aren't imports anymore since many of their parts are domestic and they're being built domestically.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:50 PM
Banned

OOOOOHHHHH!!...I just nut on myself...excuse me...while I go clean up...
Originally posted by gto2050:
<STRONG>As the owner of a 68 Pontiac LeMans 400 convertible I can agree with you about the power. It makes a lotta noise and doesn't get anywhere real fast. It looks good and it sounds good. There is NOTHING like the sound of an American OHV V8 through GlasPaks!

</STRONG>
Old 07-05-2001, 04:01 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by SatinCL:
<STRONG>Hey GTO:

Where was that pic taken?</STRONG>
Hi Ken,
It was taken at the Lincoln Park Airport right around the corner from my house.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:07 PM
ACME sucks!

That Camaro reminds me of the one in "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack. My dream car is the 1969 Camaro Z28 with the 302 ci/290 hp. They were sweet!
Old 07-05-2001, 06:14 PM
ACME sucks!

Originally posted by Scorpius:
<STRONG>Don't get ANY American car if you're in it for the long haul. I've riden in year old Camaros that sounded like they hav 160,000 miles on them.</STRONG>

Not all of them are bad. I've had two Camaros (1986 & 1989), both were bought new and both ran great through the 100,000-mile point. The '89 had a 305 in it and was actually getting better gas mileage at 100,000 miles than when it was new!
Old 07-05-2001, 08:37 PM
Banned

Maybe that's one of the reasons GM is killing the Camaro. To counter that experience with an American car, here's another example: I've personally put over 182,000 hard miles on my Mustang (bought it new) and the engine is still running as strong as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot with not even one major repair to it. Sure, there have been little problems with other things on the car over the years but that engine is rock-solid and the car is still a lot of fun drive (at least on short trips!). There are good and bad examples of every type of car, including the CL. Statistically speaking, you’re probably right that American cars still have more problems compared to imports but the quality has been dramatically improving in the domestics and will hopefully continue to improve...
It has no choice but to improve. Not having proplebs with the engine is fine, but when the car sounds like a baby's rattle something needs to be done. I drove a 2000 Chevy Malibu (a girl I know won it in a local contest) and it was pretty solid. BUT it had 7,000 miles on it. Wait until it has 40,000.
What is the major difference between domestic engines and foreign? A guy I work with says they are forged... as opposed to what?