CL-S vs. 350Z & M35 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,098 Posts
CL-S vs. 350Z & M35 Sport

Well haven't had many street encounters from a dig lately, but I did encounter a 350Z and a M35 Sport in seperate incidents at highway speeds recently and figured I'd report the outcome.

In the case of the 350Z I was heading home south on the Loop 101 after dinner with my girl and I saw this white 350Z slowly gaining on me in my rear view. I was in the left most lane of three lanes. As soon as the 350Z got with in a few car lengths it swerved over to the middle lane and started accellerating hard to pass me out. I just floored it in auto and sure enough held if off to around 100 where I finally got off of it. Of course the 350Z now was going just fast enough to keep up but back about two car lengths and didn't try passing me again. I have no idea if it was a manual or an auto. Either way I was happy.

The M35 Sport was behind me getting onto the 101 North on the way to work one morning. There's a section of the on ramp that becomes two lanes for about I'd say maybe a little less than an 1/8th of a mile. Anyway, I have passed people out there before and have had people try to pass me out, so I knew there was a chance he'd try to get around me at this point. Sure enough right when it became two lanes he guns over a lane and starts accellerating. I don't think so. I put it to the floor and once again hold him off, but this time I actually started pulling a bit at the very end of the ramp. I merged on and he slowly faded away in traffic behind me.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats not a race buddy but nice kill
Old 06-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Advance

Not sure if those are considered races since we don't know if they were full throttle or even in the right gear....
Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good job regardless
Old 06-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Pro

why is it so hard for you to just let someone pass? Deflate the ego a bit. I admit i used to be like that on the road but now I don't really care.

I just think to myself "wow that dumbass is wasting a lot of gas just to get a few car lengths ahead just to meet me again at the red light." Only at a track can you tell how you measure up against other drivers and cars. I could post that I passed a 2005 Vette today but what's the point? To say I beat a vette at the quarter mile track by 2 cars... now that's worth posting.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLsuperhero
why is it so hard for you to just let someone pass? Deflate the ego a bit. I admit i used to be like that on the road but now I don't really care.

I just think to myself "wow that dumbass is wasting a lot of gas just to get a few car lengths ahead just to meet me again at the red light." Only at a track can you tell how you measure up against other drivers and cars. I could post that I passed a 2005 Vette today but what's the point? To say I beat a vette at the quarter mile track by 2 cars... now that's worth posting.

lol be easy its just all fun and games
Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 PM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha.. I do it all the time.. However I'm usually the one that actually gets around the guy and keeps going.

Either way, keep having fun! And Nice Kill
Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
No matter what gear they were in or the passing circumstances, a kill is a kill and they were both kills. Good job buddy!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by calvinnguy3n
lol be easy its just all fun and games

You don't know what the other person is thinking... They could be having a really bad day and taking it out on the road. When you don't let someone pass who is already PO'ed about something you may be asking for it. I have seen some crazy things go on when some people do this:

1. Sideswipe attempts when they can't get around someone

2. gun being pulled on the guy who wouldn't let them pass

3. Flat out going wide open in busy traffic when they finally pass nearly slamming into the back of someone who has nothing to do with anything

4. Going into a middle of the road to pass cars blocking both lanes on a four lane road.... coulda caused a head-on with people heading in the opposite direction

5. The best one of all ... you block them from passing they gun it get in front of you and slam on brakes to get you to hit them from behind.

I have nothing against racing or playing around as long as it's just you and some others off public roads because you can never tell how people will react. They may just play around with you or they could be dead serious and PO'ed.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:20 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
you so cuh-razeee!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:22 AM
B A N N E D

You don't know what the other person is thinking... They could be having a really bad day and taking it out on the road. When you don't let someone pass who is already PO'ed about something you may be asking for it. I have seen some crazy things go on when some people do this:

3. Flat out going wide open in busy traffic when they finally pass nearly slamming into the back of someone who has nothing to do with anything

4. Going into a middle of the road to pass cars blocking both lanes on a four lane road.... coulda caused a head-on with people heading in the opposite direction

5. The best one of all ... you block them from passing they gun it get in front of you and slam on brakes to get you to hit them from behind.

I have nothing against racing or playing around as long as it's just you and some others off public roads because you can never tell how people will react. They may just play around with you or they could be dead serious and PO'ed.

haha ur paranoid...
Old 06-23-2007, 01:53 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Jeezus, it's the street encounter section, chill out. It's like if you don't like TV then don't watch TV. Don't like street encoutners? Then don't read them, thus you won't get yourself all worked up and frustrated. Kind of look the other way if you know what I mean. I do appreciate your concern because there are plenty of silly little ricer crazies out there, but this was not the case.

Coming from Connecticut, I've seen it all, between NY drivers and MA driver, and well CT drivers. I've had guns pulled on me before so I'm fully aware of what can happen, but in both those occasions it was my friend driving and acting like an ass, slamming on the brakes and high beaming someone, they pull a gun, we freak out and thank God we weren't shot. This was simply seeing if their rides had enough grunt to get by me. I didn't flip them off, slam on the brakes or act like I was going to side swipe them, and neither did they. Both incidents took place in Scottsdale, not down town Phoenix. I know anything's possible, but come on, it's not like I was running them off the road or something. This was simply a case of drivers thinking their $30k plus new cars could out pass my CL.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:31 AM
RIP MxOJuic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice kill super! I can't stand when people on these forums get all worked up about a simple encounter! represent for the cls!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Either way, have fun but go easy out there.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Had a run in with a 350Z today. It was a convertible, was lowered on rims with an exhaust(all I could see)

Driving normally he was in front of me. He gunned it. I gunned it. He was trying to pull away but I was on him, I kept pulling as we passed 100, I was at his bumper at 120, & we had to turn. So the brakes came on.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Pro

I get worked up because for every person who does something stupid on the road and busts up their car or someone elses it indirectly makes my insurance go up for something I didn't do.

All it takes is for me to be in the same age group and drive a similar or same car as a bunch of wanna be nascar drivers and then I get hit with a bigger insurance bill because then I'll be in a higher risk bracket.

Personally if you wanna race that's cool but you have to realize there are other people on the road who just wanna get from point A to B. They are not looking for challenges and it scares the crap out of them if you go wide open whacky weaving in and out of traffic.

I don't want this car to be known as some reckless road racer. I think anyone who feels the need to speed up and block someone passing is full of themselves. Just get out of their way and change lanes or let them pass. When you block them you are just saying "I have an ego and I want to show you that I'm an asshole" Street races just prove who is more reckless and crazy.

Both drivers go all out and either get pulled over or bust someone else up. It's a crap shoot nothing may happen or something bad may go down. The other times one driver goes all out and the other holds back and says "WTF that guy is crazy going that speed I'm not risking getting pulled or busting my car up." I don't see a point in random street races IMHO. There are no rewards, no trophies, and no money. At least at a track you get a nice little timeslip proving yourself, no traffic, nothing holding anyone back from balls against the wall racing.

If you want to represent this car well take it to the track. Otherwise you make the car's image look a cheap reckless rice rocket. Don't lower the car's image down to that of an old civic with a spoiler the size of an aircraft wing. Just my
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
It's 1 thing be be a dumb ass on the road, & another to street race safely. I have over 300K road miles racked up in 9 years. Been to 2 driving schools, had some road course training as well as some police pursuit training.
I also know what my car can & can't do.

It's not something I condone however & I do rarely do it. Just a once in a while thing.

As far as the CL's image...it's safe. I see far more woman & old people driving the CL.
Not too mention there's not a whole lot on the road. Look at sales figures, & subtract most 01's because of age & crashes, then subtract 02's cause they were only made for 11 months & look at what's left.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 PM
In the Mid-South meow

I understand where you're coming from CLsuperhero, because there are reckless people out there, but in no way did I block anyone from passing, I simply accelerated along side both cars when they obviously floored it to pass me. There was seriously no bad intent in it and I honestly don't think either driver was like what an asshole. It was probably more like what the hell kind of Acura was that that just kicked my ass. I would never play chicken with someone or block them off or force them into another lane. If we're neck to neck and approaching an area where it goes to one lane (like with the M35) I'm always the one to let off and let the other person go because believe me the worst thing that can happen is not me dying, it's killing someone else. In the case of the M35 I was a car length or more ahead so I didn't have to let off and let him go, but if we were neck to neck I would definitely have backed off.

I have 14 years of driving behind me. I used to be a tyrant on the roads and was street racing almost every night back in the day, but now-a-days a little street encounter here and there is just for fun, never to prove my manhood or to be a dickhead. I do go to the track and have plenty of time slips to prove it, but when it comes down to it not everyone on here is modding their cars to go to the track, it's usually so you can challenge your friend or someone with a decently fast car on the street because lets face it, that's when the most opportunities arise to run against other cars of the same class/caliber as the CL.

Again, I understand that street racing isn't always smart, but it is what it is. I'm not a 16 year old kid in a raced out Civic racing anything with 4 wheels. I wouldn't race anyone if the situation had the potential to harm any innocent people. I just don't understand why you're patrolling the street encounter section if you don't agree with it? I personally don't think using things like creatine or muscle building products is smart, but I don't go in the health and fitness section in ramblings and tell people they are irresponsible for using it.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Burning Brakes

If I could find the article on CBS or was it NBC.....it shows you an accident where a guy in a Acura NSX raced against an S4 and they were racing on an Interstate and the S4 lost control at a high speed then sideswipes another car which resulted in both passengers of the two cars dying. Did i mention the car that the S4 hit had an infant in it? Can you see what that NSX driver is going to be facing?