The CL-S is fast...the CL-S isn't fast debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:37 PM
What, me drive fast?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CL-S is fast...the CL-S isn't fast debate

I have had a fair amount of luck racing in my CL-S. I had a fair amount of luck in my Prelude before this. I pick my fights well, sometimes over my head and sometimes people pick fights with me that are over their head. I hear a lot of nay-sayers on this forum saying that the CL-S isn't fast. I was wondering which measuring stick all of us are getting measured by. When I say that my car is fast, I judge my car against the cars that I see every day. Not against a Ferrari or SL600 or something like that that you point and your jaw drops when you see one. Those cars are FAST. I am not saying that our cars are so special that we can go to other forums and talk trash (okay, maybe some forums as the Saturn post proved) but overall I think our car is damn fast. Toyota, Nissan, Ford, etc they all make fast cars that are less, equally, or better matched to our car but that is the fun of the game. With mod on either side the scales can tip. Jeez...partly that is WHY we mod I think...at least for some people. Why are there people that own CLs out on this forum talking down about our cars when they own one? Maximas, 350Z, turboIS300 (to name a few common threads)...not out of our range or in some cases below us...but the posts saying the CL isn't fast makes me mad. Don't give me sh!t about me justifying my purchase because my ride to work alone, at speed limit justifies my purchase. Sometimes there is icing on the cake when I trash a punk on the highway. I suppose that this qualifies as another one of those detractor posts from the "then why did you buy it" posts but I assume that there are some real answers out there...

I love my car.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Honda should sell it!

Hey man youre right.

Our cars are fast, on motor trends website they est. 0-60 to
be 6.1 sec., another says 5.9 for the 6-spd CLS. We also have
a car that is top notch in build quality and maintenance is
cheaper than some of the cars mentioned in other threads.

The CLS is a luxury sports coupe not a sports car, so to
blast it because it cant beat one makes no sense.We
still have 260hp from a V6, there are V8's like the Crown
Vic that make less power!

Any car that can do 150 w/a gov ain't slow.

P.S. I love my car too!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 01:49 AM
Instructor

Re: The CL-S is fast...the CL-S isn't fast debate

Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
I have had a fair amount of luck racing in my CL-S. I had a fair amount of luck in my Prelude before this. I pick my fights well, sometimes over my head and sometimes people pick fights with me that are over their head. I hear a lot of nay-sayers on this forum saying that the CL-S isn't fast. I was wondering which measuring stick all of us are getting measured by.
i find theres to many magazine racers on this forum and there's always the outsider ready to call bullshit at the first chance..

don't get me wrong there are also some great people here also.
scalbert, pull t, allmotor, mattg,typeR.Bluto,GS Dave,scooter just to name a few

when racing on the street anything can happen that what makes it fun.
i'm like you i pick my races well and usally go after manual drivers, i find that there the ones that will most often blow the launch or a shift more often than any auto.

for two months i could beat my brothers 2001 ss camero , now that he's figuried on how to launch the thing he cleans house every time, but i still look at it as a win for the times i beat him, wether my cl-s can beat a camaro is a revalant.

for what we paid for our cars not only did we get some speed but we got luxury. the wifes got a 2002 maxima and the quality is no where near the cl.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda should sell it!

was the comment about magazine racers directed @ me?

I agree with your statement about driver skill, that is
the main requirement in any race.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dark knight
was the comment about magazine racers directed @ me?

I agree with your statement about driver skill, that is
the main requirement in any race.
no dark knight you post was quite informative,

it was directed to the few non-cls owners that come aboard this forum and bash the Cl and think their car is is gearter than all.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Advanced

I consider the CL-S to be pretty fast...when you consider realistically what your driving. An entry level luxury coupe, thats what this car is first and foremost. If you want nothing but speed, you go and buy a Camaro or Mustang, and get your 13 MPG, poor dealer service, creaks and rattles everywhere and generally uncomfortable driving experience. Also, magazine estimated times and all of their track times are not realistic. On a 0-60 they may do runs every day for a week, and just once come up with a very low time that they publish. On the street, the CL-S is a quick and to many people, very surprising car. I wouldnt drive anything else right now.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just take your CLS to the track... If you are lucky your would break below 15s!... You will see yourself humbled by a WRX dashing to a low 14s, Altima even Auto with 255HP ( officially rated at 240HP) running low 14s... Just to name few couple Non-Honda/Acura Cars at below $25K....

How about a Vortech SC Civic running 14s flat.. damn fast for an economy box...

Anyhow, in the V6 land the CLS is outstanding... with the new G35 Engine we are down to 2nd place...

In conclusion, CLS is not slow at all.. howver, I would consider a V6 "muscular" when it hits mid 13s.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:28 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

lucky to break into the 14's?
Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Honda should sell it!

it was directed to the few non-cls owners that come aboard this forum and bash the Cl and think their car is is gearter than all.

my bad. Hey, how much did your nose mask run you?
Old 02-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dark knight

my bad. Hey, how much did your nose mask run you?

bought it at the dealer paid $149.99 canadain
Old 02-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by prelude9925
If you want nothing but speed, you go and buy a Camaro or Mustang, and get your 13 MPG, poor dealer service, creaks and rattles everywhere and generally uncomfortable driving experience.

ahhh..I wouldn't have it any other way. J/k

The CLS is my favorite entry level lux/sport combo car. But I must say that owning a Mustang is a GREAT EXPERIENCE, despite the crappy ford quality related issues. The car begs to be pushed to the limit from the second you start it up... and the harshness is actually kinda nice (not saying that it doesn't get annoying at times). I test drove just about all of the entry level luxury cars in 2001 and none matched the thrill I get of driving my stang...I'm all about speed and performance. (I woulda got a camaro, but you gotta draw the line somewhere:P)

P.S. I get 16 city (driving hard) and 26 highway!
Old 02-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Quicker than U Think

don't get me wrong there are also some great people here also.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

As far as the topic at hand. I think it is all perspective. My GS is the fastest car I have owned to date, I ran a 14.93(corrected) my first time to the track. But to my GTP buddies that were running in the 13s(actual and corrected), I was dog slow. To me, anything that can run low 15s stock is pretty quick, 14s is a fast car, 13s even better, and 12s is a serious drag contender. But again, this is all perspective. Or it might be a little of buyers remorse??? I dunno.

When I look at a CLs or TLS, I see a fast luxury car. The fact that it can give a lot of sports cars a run for their money is just icing on the cake.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:46 AM
im back

ok what i consider fast is things like z06, 911 turbo. Those are fast, anything in low 13's(13.3 and under) is fast. Our cars, maxima's, IS300, WRX all those other cars we named are quick to me. And like prelude said if you want fast buy a camAro and get your 13mpg. Thats exactly what i just did, bought an 84 camaro z28, 350, 5spd, already have the carb, cam, intake manifold, exhaust, headers are on order and the rear will be ordered in the next 2 weeks and the clutch upgrade is getting ordered in 3 weeks. I'm making this my fast car and keeping my CL-S as a low 14 second(possibly 13.9 material) street cruiser than can handle its own against the big boys but if i feel the need to show people up i can switch cars. It takes a lot more effort to get an import(especially a heavy luxury one like ours) FAST. Just my opinion.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by I am RobG
ok what i consider fast is things like z06, 911 turbo. Those are fast, anything in low 13's(13.3 and under) is fast. Our cars, maxima's, IS300, WRX all those other cars we named are quick to me. And like prelude said if you want fast buy a camAro and get your 13mpg. Thats exactly what i just did, bought an 84 camaro z28, 350, 5spd, already have the carb, cam, intake manifold, exhaust, headers are on order and the rear will be ordered in the next 2 weeks and the clutch upgrade is getting ordered in 3 weeks. I'm making this my fast car and keeping my CL-S as a low 14 second(possibly 13.9 material) street cruiser than can handle its own against the big boys but if i feel the need to show people up i can switch cars. It takes a lot more effort to get an import(especially a heavy luxury one like ours) FAST. Just my opinion.
totally agree
i bought my Cl with one thing in mind and that was i wanted a nice car to commute in. i work out of town so i have the 1000 km trip on the weekends and have a daily commute of 125 km.I found that i spent so much time in my car i didn't want to do the weekend cruise in it. i wish at the time i could have been able to afford 3 cars but i couldn't. i feel that the cl fits my needs and the wifes and the power that the Cl-s has is a bonus.

i had a 2002 ss camaro and it was brutal in that thing, yes i had fun in it, but its no commuter car that why i sold it to my brother, he lives about 10 minutes to work so it fits his bill.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Just take your CLS to the track... If you are lucky your would break below 15s!... You will see yourself humbled by a WRX dashing to a low 14s, Altima even Auto with 255HP ( officially rated at 240HP) running low 14s... Just to name few couple Non-Honda/Acura Cars at below $25K....

Old 02-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Instructor

I agree completely with the above posts! The CL-S is a great car and I consider it quite fast for its class. I just HOPE this rumor about discontinuing the CL line is false because I love this car! The CL-S is the only car Acura makes that I would ever buy (except for the NSX...but that's just a dream ).
Old 02-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Hoser!

Im hearing the same thing... no more cl and the tl is going to be 280.. at least thats what I heard.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Instructor

whats happenning is that 2 door luxury cars are hurting in the sales department and are becoming obsolete.

i think thats why we saw the horsepower increase in the accord.
more power but way cheaper than the cl-s.
magazines say sales are good.

more younger people prefer power over luxury, the hot demand is fast luxury 4 doors. people that do have money are older people in the late 30-50 and have young families.
this is were the tl fits in.

i'm 41 and both my kids are now on their own were my friends are just starting families or getting remarried and there average kids age is 5-10.