CL forum targeted by Edmunds??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL forum targeted by Edmunds??

I think the negative feedback they get on Liz Kim's review kinda ticked them off...

http://www.edmunds.com/editorial/vie...041/index.html

------------------
01' CL-S, Silver/Ebony
Old 03-16-2001, 10:23 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I just seeked through that real quick...

If I read it... I might break something

ERRRRRR@@@!!! I hate those bastards.

.... pull yourself together soopa ....

.... it will be O. K. ....

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-16-2001, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK....so we're a bunch of biased Acura fans. Does that stop us from bitching about our cars' shortcomings?? NO. C'mon Edmunds, read a little further here--we take pot shots at our own cars' shortcomings, as well as praise what Acura really got right.

------------------
CL-S PDG, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 03-16-2001, 11:32 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

"Issue No. 3: Edmunds.com Editors Don't Know What They're Talking About
Most of you have probably already figured this out . . .Automotive journalism ain't brain surgery. "

That says it all. I rest my case.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:59 PM
ACME sucks!

Well, they certainly haven't visited THIS board.

Look, the bottom line is that if you like a vehicle and are looking for reassurance that you made the right purchase decision, chat rooms and bulletin boards are a great place to hang out. Since they are populated almost exclusively by a given vehicle's fans, you are sure to hear nothing but praise for your favorite car or truck.

But living in that world will greatly hinder your ability to recognize your own vehicle's problem areas (and yes, every vehicle has them) while also limiting your opportunity to learn of different (and possibly even better!) vehicles that you might like even more. To say that a vehicle review is wrong just because it doesn't jibe with a user forum is like saying that an election result is wrong just because your candidate didn't win...

Duh! That's about all we talk about here.... how to improve our cars! No car is perfect, we all know that, but neither is a car reviewer!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Badges

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/Shine by Meguiar's/One scratched rim -- Competch springs on order!
Old 03-17-2001, 12:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Plain and simple they are still just assholes to me.

------------------
The #1 Corolla errr I mean IS300 Killer.
Old 03-17-2001, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn its deffiently some editors time of the month.... they really seemed ticked.

HAHA

I love it

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-17-2001, 02:35 PM
I love my CL-S

F a G

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter
piaa 19169
cannon winter floor mats
Old 03-20-2001, 04:28 PM
Instructor

I remember that review by Edmunds's Liz Kim (I think that's her name). While I don't mind too much of her subjective views of this review, I do question the credibility of it. From the review she said "The dual-tier center console is spacious, and slides fore and aft on tracks to optimize comfort for drivers of all sizes; one driver noted that it also had the effect of sliding out of the way as to not rub her forearm while utilizing SportShift." Unless I have a unique CL that doesn't do this, she's flat out wrong. The center console does not slide or move whatsoever. Unless she's talking about the seat. In that case, poor paragraph/idea structuring. This mistake may seem minor at first glance, it makes one wonder the sincerity or seriousness of this review. Did she just cut and paste from other reviews ? I think the RL center arm rest does move back and forth.

In any case, after reading her review again, it's no less subjective than anything we've posted in this forum (in my opinion.)

Old 03-20-2001, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Your CL must be differant. All the ones I've seen (including mine) the console lid does indeed slide back and forth..

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 03-20-2001, 04:43 PM
Safety Car

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dacura:
From the review she said "The dual-tier center console is spacious, and slides fore and aft on tracks to optimize comfort for drivers of all sizes; one driver noted that it also had the effect of sliding out of the way as to not rub her forearm while utilizing SportShift." Unless I have a unique CL that doesn't do this, she's flat out wrong. The center console does not slide or move whatsoever.

</font>
Sorry man, you are wrong in this one. The center arm rest does slide forward. Try it.

------------------
---------------------
'01 Satin Silver w/Black, Navi_less, spoiler, mud guards, wind deflector.
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Things to come: sub, air kit (if exists), maybe headers, CAI, and spring/sway combo.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:52 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big_Pimp's_Type_S:
Sorry man, you are wrong in this one. The center arm rest does slide forward. Try it.

</font>
Yeh, that must be a trick he hasn't figured out yet.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Badges

Competch springs/35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/Shine by Meguiar's/One scratched rim
Old 03-20-2001, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Give him a break guys, he's a newbie!

Welcome btw, dacura!

------------------
01' CL-S, Silver/Ebony
Old 03-20-2001, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

from issue #3:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
But the truth is that driving a vehicle and assessing its strengths and weaknesses isn't all that tough. Certainly you need a working knowledge of vehicle design and an understanding of what a given vehicle's competitors offer (and it helps if you know how to string a sentence together), but being able to identify where a car excels and where it falls short is primarily a matter of seat time in a variety of models.
</font>
I have to say I totally completely disagree. While reviewing an automobile may not be "brain surgery" its not as easy as they think to do it fairly and accurately. So, you need a working knowledge of vehicle design, eh? I agree. So where do you get that working knowledge, edmunds.com editors? I don't think any of them have a physics or engineering background. What was Liz Kim's background again? I can't remember but it had absolutely nothing to do with cars!!! So I spend a lot of time driving different cars, does that make me qualified to review cars? I think not! These people are idiots. They should stick to what they excel at... giving us our invoice prices. I certainly don't need their opinion on anything else.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
PIAA 19169
Old 03-20-2001, 05:52 PM
Instructor

You guys gotta show me how to do this. I looked very closely after reading this review months ago. I definitely didn't see it.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:54 PM
Meat Popsicle

I didn't see anything in that article that would not be supported by some of the postings in this forum. Just look back at all of the bashing of IS300 and BMW. But, I think that they are actually addressing their own silly forums.

I do think that the tone of the article was a bit high handed, as if they never get it wrong.
To me car reviews are like Siskel and Ebert used to be. After reading the reviews, I could usually tell if I might like a movie by their reaction to it, postive or negative. I knew that Gene goes for artsy fartsy stuff, and Riger will give "good" trash a fair viewing. By reading both, over a period of years, you'd come to see where my tastes fell in relation to their's.

When I buy, I use reviews for technical specs, and to see what is new in the market. But I read more than one. The decent ones are from AutoWeek, Automobile and Car and Driver.
What web reviews say is low on my priorities. This is most true at Edmunds. The only one who writes stranger reviews is Consumers Reports and Motor Trend. Motor Trend is the biggest waste of Paper that I've ever seen.

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments
Old 03-20-2001, 06:03 PM
Instructor

yep, I was wrong. I just went to my car and suddenly figured it out. Man, after almost a year of ownership. I feel stupid now. Sorry Liz Kim and everyone else.

But I still think she's way too subjective on her review. But again, aren't reviews supposed to be subjective. I better just shut up.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Ult
Instructor

ohhhh pleaseeee... like I have the attention span to read all of that...

------------------
-Ult