Chirping noise only audible in cabin - potential exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 08:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chirping noise only audible in cabin - potential exhaust leak

For context: Back in March, I resealed my oil pump and oil pan and my car began to make a noise that I would describe as chirping. Since the process of removing the oil pump/pan involves removing serpentine belts as well as the timing belt and Y pipe, it is hard for me to pinpoint what specifically resulted in the noise. In spite of this, I assumed the noise was coming from the Y pipe because there was seemingly an exhaust leak after I reinstalled it (smoke under the hood and a smell of exhaust fumes.) However both of these factors became much less evident after the first drive. I’m still weary about driving with the windows up but I haven’t experienced any CO2 poising yet, as far as I know…

Fast forward to today, I finally replaced my catalytic converter and I decided to replace the seals where Y pipe meets the exhaust manifold as well. The seals I used were Walker 31377.

A little side story: I also replaced all of the studs and the nuts down there because I was under the (possibly correct) impression that the old studs were causing sealing issues. However, the majority of the studs that I put in didn’t thread into the exhaust manifold entirely and bottomed out at the nut instead. The nuts were basically impossible to remove from the studs when they did this. Why are we using studs instead of bolts here anyways? As long as it gets torqued properly I suppose this is not an issue.

Well, the chirping noise sounds the exact same and there was no deficit of smoke under the hood after the first drive. After starting it again later, I couldn’t see any smoke even while looking under the car which is strange. Maybe the smoke was caused by something entirely different. Or maybe my flex pipe is leaking.

To give some more information on the chirping noise, it is only audible in the cabin, and I can barely hear it under the hood, if at all. If I remember correctly, the cabin used to be fairly quiet, but this noise sticks out.

Any thought on this chirping noise and/or the possibility of an exhaust leak?
Old 06-11-2024, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by asleep-cult
Since the process of removing the oil pump/pan involves removing serpentine belts as well as the timing belt and Y pipe, it is hard for me to pinpoint what specifically resulted in the noise.

Any thought on this chirping noise and/or the possibility of an exhaust leak?
If you have not already tried this, perhaps give it a go:
1) Remove the alternator belt, & start the engine. If the chirping noise continues then you know it is not the alternator or alternator belt or alternator belt tensioner.
2) Remove the PS pump belt , & start the engine. If the chirping noise continues then it may be a worn or loose timing belt component?

Last edited by zeta; 06-11-2024 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe I have isolated the noise to the power steering pump. I started by putting the handle of a screwdriver up to my ear and listening to the alternator, power steering pump, and the timing cover. The only component that made a noise similar to what I was hearing in the cabin was the p/s pump. I decided to slide the belt off of the pump and start the car; the noise seemed to disappear. Now I’m wondering if the noise is coming from inside the pump itself or if it’s caused by too much/too little tension on the belt. I should've turned the pump by hand but I already put the belt back on.