Check Engine Light Came On

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light Came On

This morning I was warming up the car and when I went out side the Tach was jumping up and down between 1000 and 2500. Up and down up and down. I went ahead and drove the car anyway and while I was driving the tach was jumping around like crazy and the check engine light finally came on. It also felt like the car had more power than usual. Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:18 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

Vacuum leak?
Old 12-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Get the code read.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:34 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did the car drive? Mine has done this a few times in the cold weather. It jerked around while driving. Always gone by the time I get to the dealer. Never got a CEL. Never happens in the summer. Really need to stand on the brake at a stop light.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:15 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Idle control system selfdestructed ,have it checked before it does real harm.

Jens
Old 12-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Subie Dubie

Mine is at the dealer now for a very similar problem. The exact same thing has happened 3 or 4 times, but last night was the most serious. After driving the car for 30-40 minutes in stop and go traffic i parked it in the garage, 30 minutes later i go out to run an errand and the car is almost impossible to start and keep running. It would turnover but immediately the idle would drop to zero and stall. After i got it started and drove it, the check engine light came on. I called the dealer this morning and they said to bring it in obviously, started cold like a charm !! This has only happened in cooler weather and only after it sits for a short time before attempting to restart Does this sound familiar Jens ??
Old 12-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Red Rider
the car is almost impossible to start and keep running. It would turnover but immediately the idle would drop to zero and stall.
Yours could be different. I had my ESM come unhooked and it acted the same way. The ECU was not getting the MAP signal and was not happy. It drove terrible and would hardly idle.

I pulled off and quickly remedied the problem and was back on the road in a few minutes (most of the time was spent waiting on the laptop to boot).
Old 12-16-2003, 09:03 PM
3rd Gear

The dealer called and said that the code error was an air flow intake problem. They're looking for a crack in the air filter box or the rubber bellows.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TheDonkey
The dealer called and said that the code error was an air flow intake problem. They're looking for a crack in the air filter box or the rubber bellows.
Huh, that doesn't sound right. I would like to have heard what the code was because the ECU has no way to really know if there is an air leak in the air box. Actually, there is a huge air leak in it; it is the intake tract.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Drifting

You got a navi? If you do (at least, 2003), you got Onstar. Push the blue button and ask. They'll tell you.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Acura TL-S

Mine is at the dealer now for a very similar problem. The exact same thing has happened 3 or 4 times, but last night was the most serious. After driving the car for 30-40 minutes in stop and go traffic i parked it in the garage, 30 minutes later i go out to run an errand and the car is almost impossible to start and keep running. It would turnover but immediately the idle would drop to zero and stall. After i got it started and drove it, the check engine light came on. I called the dealer this morning and they said to bring it in obviously, started cold like a charm !! This has only happened in cooler weather and only after it sits for a short time before attempting to restart Does this sound familiar Jens ??
i've had the same thing happening, and went to PAA a couple of times, but they just cleared the codes. And every so often now, during the cold weather days, i cant park with the heat on, or the car will stall, and when driving its generally jerky between around 500-1000rpm when at stop-lights and such.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by ZodiakTL
i've had the same thing happening, and went to PAA a couple of times, but they just cleared the codes. And every so often now, during the cold weather days, i cant park with the heat on, or the car will stall, and when driving its generally jerky between around 500-1000rpm when at stop-lights and such.
I pick it up tomorrow but it doesn't sound like they found anything. They did clear the codes as well. They said it could be a bad coil so if it continues, that's the next step i guess.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:40 AM

I pick it up tomorrow but it doesn't sound like they found anything. They did clear the codes as well. They said it could be a bad coil so if it continues, that's the next step i guess.
My car was tacking up and down waiting in the service lane. I waved the advisor over so he could see it. He told me to turn the car off. After I restarted and pulled up into the service bay, the problem was gone. They could not find a thing. It is intermittent, but I was hoping they had seen the problem before, and knew what it was. No such luck. Has not happened yet this year.

I think it is a sensor acting up. Maybe an Idle Air Control or Throttle Position Sensor? I have a Helms, have not looked into it. I have a comptech drop in filter. Maybe some oil gets on a sensor, screws things up for a short time.

Anyone else with the problem have an aftermarket filter?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Bluto
My car was tacking up and down waiting in the service lane. I waved the advisor over so he could see it. He told me to turn the car off. After I restarted and pulled up into the service bay, the problem was gone. They could not find a thing. It is intermittent, but I was hoping they had seen the problem before, and knew what it was. No such luck. Has not happened yet this year.

I think it is a sensor acting up. Maybe an Idle Air Control or Throttle Position Sensor? I have a Helms, have not looked into it. I have a comptech drop in filter. Maybe some oil gets on a sensor, screws things up for a short time.

Anyone else with the problem have an aftermarket filter?
have you seen the ERG recalls/warranty extension thread on acura-tl.com? seems a few people are seeing this or something similiar
Old 12-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Intermediate

Checking Engine Lights

I had this happened to me like a month ago and it turned out to be the Linear Solenoid- part of the transimittion that governs the shifting points of 5 speed automatic. It was out of specified range. I took it to the dealers and they replaced free of charge under warranty---- that sounds like you had the same problems too linear solenoid is what keeps out cars shifting smoothly rather tahn getting a jerky shift when it up/down shift.

Take it to the dealer!!! takes about 4 hours forthe dealers to replace your linear solenoids
Old 12-19-2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by ZodiakTL
have you seen the ERG recalls/warranty extension thread on acura-tl.com? seems a few people are seeing this or something similiar
Thanks. Looks like the EGR recall is only on 99 TLs? I think my dealer is looking for a CEL or consistent problem before they'll do anything.