Charger making 4 instead of 10psi / Uncommon proposition

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charger making 4 instead of 10psi / Uncommon proposition

Over the years I managed to do almost everything to my CL that was on the table. (2003 CL-S w/117k). I have a SC pushing 10psi, scalbert intercooler, AEM-FIC, racing clutch, lightweight flywheel, coilovers, 18" SSR Comps, brand new tires and all the other little stuff (mounts, dampeners, sways, and some other stuff I am forgetting). The car pulled 354hp at the wheels last summer.

Now...I started having some issues with the SC not making the compression it is supposed to. I know it wasn't slipping b/c it is a pretty constant 4psi across the RPMs. I had the charger rebuilt to make sure that the metal to metal clearances weren't causing an issue. Still nothing. It can only really be an pressure leak, but a 6psi drop? Not sure if anyone has any other thoughts or ideas what it could be, or what else I should try.

I've gone back to grad school and have barely used the car for the past two years. I move all the time and travel a lot, so I actually don't really need my car. I am not quite sure what to do, but I wanted to throw out there that I would be willing to part with the car. I am not posting it for sale, but I am just curious if people would be interested. I do have ALL of the original parts, so someone could potentially put things back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts. I frankly don't have the time or the interest anymore to do any of this myself.

I could provide all the detail and photos if someone would be interested. The car is in Ann Arbor right now, I am in Chicago and the stock parts are in NJ.

If anyone has any good ideas, let me know. I am open to suggestions.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
The OP is legit and standup guy if anyone questions his credibility. He actually has several parts from my first SC'd CL-S.

Have you checked to see if the tensioner (sp?) is loose? If it's loose, then you will lose boost. If you could twist the belt farther then 90 degrees, it's too loose.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JBlueCLS6
The OP is legit and standup guy if anyone questions his credibility. He actually has several parts from my first SC'd CL-S.

Have you checked to see if the tensioner (sp?) is loose? If it's loose, then you will lose boost. If you could twist the belt farther then 90 degrees, it's too loose.
x2. That's what I was going to say as well. The only thing I can think of was the belt. Did you put a new belt on after you had it rebuilt? That's the only thing I can think of, and the tensioner. If not that, maybe something in the shaft that's loose?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-Future
x2. That's what I was going to say as well. The only thing I can think of was the belt. Did you put a new belt on after you had it rebuilt? That's the only thing I can think of, and the tensioner. If not that, maybe something in the shaft that's loose?
Yeah, I would assume the rebuild would have put in new rubber seals. Do you have a breakdown on what they did Jake?

Just recheck all your hoses/clamps and also consider taking a look at your throttlebody to see if you have a leak there. I once was losing boost and it wasn't the actual Charger that was the culprit but the spacer from the outlaw engineering throttlebody. I cleaned off/scraped the existing gasket off the TB and replaced it with a new one and car ran fine afterwards.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only other thing would be piston rings but i doubt it, what got me thinking of that was that you said you hardly ever drive it. but that would be a worst case scenario.