Changing High-Beams...???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 04:29 PM
w.t.f., mate?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing High-Beams...???

My friends just got me some Hiper Industries "Super Plazma Bulb" aka super-purple high beams. I am planning to install these suckers today maybe tommorow...

Anyways I was reading the instructions in our manual about how to install these guys, and it says I have to remove the radiator reserve tank or something?! Can somebody post instructions to help me through the process of installing them? Any timesaving tips, must-dos/do nots, etc....I am pretty car-installation-illiterate so I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 satin silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~ ~Xephyr CAI on the way!~
Former post count : Over 500!! FREAK!
Old 02-11-2001, 04:51 PM
Back to Four Doors

I can't help you with this operation per se, but my advice (as someone who's turned more than a few nuts and bolts on previous vehicles) is to be sure and get the right tools. You may find it cheaper in the long run to let the dealer do the lamp swap, but if you decide to go ahead, just don't skimp on buying/using a good wrench, socket set, etc.

You ask anyone (including me) what your knuckles look like when your Industro 9000 14mm box end slips off the nut while in tight quarters under the hood. One time and its off to Sears (Craftsman) or swap meet for Snap-on stuff. I never could afford the latter at retail.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 02-11-2001, 05:12 PM
Adult Supervision

I don't have pictures but the process is very easy if you are generally handy with tools - i.e. you know which direction to turn a screw etc.

On the left front headlight the radiator reserve tank is in the way. It is not connected to anything, it simply sits on a hanger. You need to take the cap and tube out of the tank and simply lift the tank straight up and out of the car. I propped it againt something so that it would not spill. Then you unscrew the screws that hold the bulb in and take the bulbs out - they screw out about 1/3 turn to clear the housing. Don't touch bulbs with bare hands - I used a clean hankerchief.

Questions?

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-11-2001, 06:09 PM
w.t.f., mate?

Thanks Mike. It was relatively straightforward when I was doing it on the passanger side, but when I was doing it on the drivers side it took me a while to take out the radiator reserve thingy. I didn't realize that the cap came off so I just pulled it out and just left it near the engine. After replacing the bulb, I tried putting the reserve tank back in(the cap was still on mind you) but it wouldn't go in. Suddenly, the cap came off and the reserve tank fell through the whole!! Terrified I took it out. Thankfully it fell upright. Tried doing it again, and after attaching the cap back on, I realized I put the tank in backwards. SO I took the cap off again and then it fell AGAIN!! So I thankfully, I finally got it right the next time.....third times a charm. Thanks!

Are the high beams supposed to feel warm when you turn them on and feel your hand near the bulb?

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 satin silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~ ~Xephyr CAI on the way!~
Former post count : Over 500!! FREAK!
Old 02-11-2001, 09:42 PM
Adult Supervision

LMAO - sounds like the keystone cops - come over when/if I ever do my own sways and we can kill ourselves together!

Regarding the heat - beats me. Its been 20 degrees here for 4 months it seems so I have no clue if anything is heating up other than my seat heaters which are working fine!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-12-2001, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Iridium130 -- Well, what do they look like,
from the outside and inside the car? MikeS,
me too, toasty buns!

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav