Challenger from an IS'er: a real race in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 09:46 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well unless I read it wrong it looks as though there is a race on Sunday. I'm not positive I can go but I'll check tomorrow morning. Would you be able to go?

I'll run you in a straight as well if you would like just for a little redemtion.

Originally posted by scalbert
Good to hear from ya...

One of the local schedules is Here

The local BMW Clubs also have events, missed this one but others are frequent: Missed Auto-x

I know this is short notice and the drive from Savannah is not quick but we are having a meet this Saturday and you are more than welcome to come: Atlanta Meet There is one other IS300 owner coming and this is meant as an auto enthusiast meet.

The Road Atlanta track days are not too frequent and limited unless you have run there numerous times.

Let's try to keep an eye on the auto-x schedules to try and meet on a specific date. Although, and as mentioned, a tight auto-x is not the CL-S's realm, I have wanted to try in this car and some friendly competition would add to the excitement. But if I run a slower time you owe me a quick straight line run so that I might be able to redeem myself a little...
Old 12-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by IS_Dude
Well unless I read it wrong it looks as though there is a race on Sunday. I'm not positive I can go but I'll check tomorrow morning. Would you be able to go?

I'll run you in a straight as well if you would like just for a little redemtion.
I thought I was not available this Sunday for the SOLO II; not a good time of year for these types of things. Had I planned in advance it might be different but also considering the time of the year it might be easier to plan a race around the mall...

But since you are coming from a longer distance I might be able to change the holiday schedule around. If you can make it and we both are not too late to make the entry just let me know. I can probably swing it...

Thanks for the redemption opportunity, I may need it. But you never know. However, there is no question that I will be running a totally stock suspension including tires. Engine wise I am not stock, so what would you be running??
Old 12-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro

Ah, terrific. I see the two of you have met (sort of). It should be fun. And I also owe IS_Dude a hearty thank you for taking up this challenge, seeing that he will need to travel.

Don't forget to bring back some pictures!

Anyone still wants to take up the challenge here in SoCal?
Old 12-10-2002, 07:45 AM
Banned

My auto CL-S hands my friends his IS300 ass easily. We are talking 4-5 cars by 80~. He has AREA 51 intake and ecu as well. This was before my headers.

Originally posted by nvpscore
my auto beats a stock IS,

two kids at my school had them, raced them both at the same time, me in the middle. Hands down, they overpaid, less performance, and should just stick to carting people around with their sedan.

Check the other thread for my story with the IS boy and his gf, gf walked out on him. haha
Old 12-10-2002, 09:29 AM
6th Gear

I can make it if you can work it in. lmk-

I'm set up for the stock class. I have a different front sway, a rear section exhaust(HKS Hiper), and a different drop in filter. I do have race tires and wheels but I'll run on my street setup to make it a little more even and easier for me since I'll be traveling. They are a tad wider than stock though. 18 x 8's but that will benifit you far more than me running race rubber even on 7" wide wheels.

Maybe we can do a 60 -> rolling start for your redemption run.

What do you have done engine wise. If you don't want to post just pm me.

I thought I was not available this Sunday for the SOLO II; not a good time of year for these types of things. Had I planned in advance it might be different but also considering the time of the year it might be easier to plan a race around the mall...

But since you are coming from a longer distance I might be able to change the holiday schedule around. If you can make it and we both are not too late to make the entry just let me know. I can probably swing it...

Thanks for the redemption opportunity, I may need it. But you never know. However, there is no question that I will be running a totally stock suspension including tires. Engine wise I am not stock, so what would you be running??
Old 12-10-2002, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

I can make it if you can work it in. lmk-

What do you have done engine wise. If you don't want to post just pm me.
It might be difficult with the meet being on Saturday, but I'll check to see and let ya know later today or tomorrow.

I have on my '03 6-Speed (traded in my '01 auto in July) Comptech Header and AEM pulleys. I have a custom intake which will be dyno'd Saturday but the stock is on right now. Back in August I dyno'd with the above items and 800 miles on the car so it will be interesting to see what a few more miles and my custom intake will net. But as previously mentioned, I have the stock suspension and tires, so the ride quality is great but handling limits are a bit down from my BMW.

That course at Turner Field will be interesting with my setup. I've driven some long winding mountain roads in the car and it did fine. A tight course will be a challenge at this time. Hopefully the HLSD will keep me from running too wide.

Old 12-10-2002, 04:05 PM

Scalbert, IS_Dude, I want to finally autocross my whale GS. So ya'll are gonna join.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:29 PM
6th Gear

scalbert, nice numbers. 240fwhp's seems good and 206fwtq doesn't seem too bad. Let me know if you can run and maybe I'll even come up on Sat to run the dyno. I'm not sure about that, but it would be a complete car obsession weekend if I did that.

1SICKLEX, that would be great if you came out to the AutoX as well. The more the merrier.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

It doesn't look good for Sunday. We had family plans for Saturday which I thought I'd miss with the meet scheduled but they kindly moved the plans to Sunday.

By the looks of it, 2003 Schedule it would be March until the next one. They have a Tune-Up day in February but I'm not sure if they do timed laps. I didn't see anything on the BMWCCA schedule but there's is practically blank for 2003. I'll put it on the schedule for next year, albeit it is a ways out. It might also give me the chance to put new shoe on the car…

Are you aware of any local events at Roebling??

Regardless, you are more than welcome to come by on Saturday. Also, in the spirit of enthusiastic driving, we could always get a group and head into the mountains. That is always available and always enjoyable.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM

240fwhp's
Hot damn, that is what the GS 400 pulls at the crank!
Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM

240fwhp's
Hot damn, that is a stock GS 400 at the wheels!
Old 12-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

[B]240fwhp's seems good and 206fwtq doesn't seem too bad./B]
I would be pleased to see 260 WHP and 220 Lb/Ft at the dyno on Saturday. It would be nice to know if some of the toying around I have done pays off; I hand ported the intake manifold, put in a lower stat and fan switch (After TOV lost 7 WHP and the same in torque when the ECT went from 180F to over 200F) along with couple of small electrical tests.

I had another project that I tested earlier that failed to produce and gains, but it doesn't hurt to try. My hand made and failed RES project:

Old 12-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hot damn, that is a stock GS 400 at the wheels!
I thought the GS400 made around 300 crank HP and about 235 - 240 WHP??
Old 12-10-2002, 09:54 PM
6th Gear

Well let me know if anything changes. I'll check on Roebling and see if Porsche or anyone else is going to be out there anytime soon.

I doubt I'll come up for the dyno without the autocross as a backdrop. It would of been a fun time hanging w/ everyone and would of been a good setup for the race as well. I'm pretty sure I know about what my car puts down and it's hardly impressive as I have an '01eshift w/ rearsection and drop-in filter(about 175-185whp/170-175rwtq acording to others w/ similar mods). All that SCCA Stock rules allow, basically.

But we will definately set something up.

It doesn't look good for Sunday. We had family plans for Saturday which I thought I'd miss with the meet scheduled but they kindly moved the plans to Sunday.

By the looks of it, 2003 Schedule it would be March until the next one. They have a Tune-Up day in February but I'm not sure if they do timed laps. I didn't see anything on the BMWCCA schedule but there's is practically blank for 2003. I'll put it on the schedule for next year, albeit it is a ways out. It might also give me the chance to put new shoe on the car…

Are you aware of any local events at Roebling??

Regardless, you are more than welcome to come by on Saturday. Also, in the spirit of enthusiastic driving, we could always get a group and head into the mountains. That is always available and always enjoyable.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Challenger from an IS'er: a real race in SoCal

Originally posted by DtEW
After hearing from you guys about how easily your cruiser can be supposedly transformed into an curve demon with just springs and sways...

I challenge the best road racer amongst you to a real race, meaning time trials, controlled environment for repeatable results. This can take place at an autocross or a track day. The track day will play better into your power advantage, headers, intake, whatever, as I have no power mods. But I'm your huckleberry, as they say. The autocross will be more convenient and significantly cheaper to participate in.

Don't backpeddle and tell me the what you guys meant was that the CL only handles like a sports car in a straight line.

I don't care about your level of modification. You can have anything that you think will make your car handle better.

I do not wish to travel excessively nor should you, but we have enough Acura-CL'ers in Southern California to make this happen. So let's do this. Let's put it to rest. Let's work out a date at one fo the scheduled events come early 2003.

Despite the backdrop to this, it will be a friendly event with only the necessary level of rival ribbing.
hmm...i dont recal anyone talking excessively about the sway bars in that argument...but so much shit was said, that i would be suprised by it

You know, im real tired of this is vs. cl shit...they are both real hot cars, and we're all lucky to have them. I would have bought an IS instead of the CL if the lexus dealer had played ball with me, but he didnt, so i didnt. I'll contend that yours can outhandle mine, if you'll contend that mine is faster (no, not lap times). As to which trait is more important...well, even in pro racing, all tracks are different. In laguna, you'd kick my ass to shit in the corkscrew, but i'd probably beat you driving up to it on the straightaway (this is not to say that a CL could or should be made into a sports car). what about comparing the new mr2 to an is300? IS is faster, but an mr2 will outmanuver itw

how about a closer comparison? scalbert's 328 vs. an is300 (actually one of the initial reviews on the is touched on this comparison) would yield more interesting results.

btw your "call for challenges" isnt real fair...most members (including myself) dont have experience on a real race track (not simply a straightaway), and you clearly do, and so it would no longer be about the car, but rather the driver

i agree with you though that the flame thread was bs...but if I put as my signature "I've smoked 2 IS300", i think you would be a little annoyed too...
Old 12-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Instructor

there will be an Audi Quattro Club drivers school in March 2003 at Spring Mountain Raceway(Pahrump nevada).
You So Cal Acura and Lexus owners can attend. Tried to get some of you last year but no one registered.
Not a timed event but I am sure you could figure out a way to tell what a cars time was.
In my big ol 4 door 4000lb sedan A6, it doesnt do too bad whether at Pahrump or Streets of Willow or the Big track at Willow. Will certainly be faster cars around but there will be slower ones too.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

drivers school? actual teaching, or a bunch of people racing?

btw im sure your a6 hauls ass
Old 12-16-2002, 09:55 PM
Instructor

actual audi car club drivers event. one on one instruction. Classroom, skidpad exercises then track time.
The first day for a beginner would go like, classroom instruction, then off to the skidpad for braking exercise, then slalom for contorl and experience the edge of what your car can do. Then lane toss up where you go 30mph and have to swerve into 1 of 3 lanes(has the green light and then brake hard). THen you have probably 2-3 30min sessions on the track with an instructor with you. 2nd day some classroom and more track time.
A good way to find out your cars limits in a safe controlled environment. You are on the track with other cars in your group but passing is only allowed on the 2 straights and only after the car in front pulls over and gives a signal to pass.
No timing is allowed at this events.
In april 2002 we had some corvettes, Saab 9-5 aero, SVT Truck, camaros, 2 M3's(no E46), 3 series, bunch of audi's- S4's , TT's, A4's, A6's, A8's. So there was a good mixture. you can ride in any of the instructors cars also and some of them move pretty good.
Well worth the cost and the experience will last a lifetime on the street. teach you when to brake, when not to brake and so on.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

wow thats cool...how much does that cost?
Old 12-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Instructor

~250 for the weekend includes the get together Friday by Pirelli and the dinner Saturday. SHould be fun

cant get the clips for the pahrump event to work, anyone offer some advice. When I tried it would say downloading from site, then it would say done, then I would have to click on "GO" to go to that link, weird. Hope it works for you all

http://www.digitalfields.com/ming/sh...lip%20ming.mpg

http://www.digitalfields.com/ming/mingpahrump.mpg

http://www.digitalfields.com/ming/short%20accel.mpg
Old 12-20-2002, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll run him... someone has to represent here!!
Old 12-21-2002, 02:49 AM
Pro

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
I'll run him... someone has to represent here!!
(Wow, and I thought this thread died with the end of the inter-forum hostilities weeks ago.)

Is that Woodland Hills, CA, right past Tarzana, CA?

That's actually a good place since the next autocross is at Hollywood Park in Inglewood. About equidistant between us. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.solo2.com/championship.htm

If you have a preference for another venue, let me know. This one is just convenient in terms of location, price, and the fact that I was going to be there anyways regardless.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by DtEW
(Wow, and I thought this thread died with the end of the inter-forum hostilities weeks ago.)

Is that Woodland Hills, CA, right past Tarzana, CA?

That's actually a good place since the next autocross is at Hollywood Park in Inglewood. About equidistant between us. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.solo2.com/championship.htm

If you have a preference for another venue, let me know. This one is just convenient in terms of location, price, and the fact that I was going to be there anyways regardless.

Dtew.....Have some of your IS buddies in the Midwest come to Gingerman. I would love to run them. Last time I went, there was no similar cars to mine there. All the cars at the open event were either sports cars or dedicated race cars. There was a E36 ME and modded ITR present which I passed on numerous occasions(drivers probably had no clue), but that was it. I will be there a few times for open events next spring and summer. Cost is 50 bucks and the open events are usually on wednesday or thursday nights.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:51 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Maximized
Dtew.....Have some of your IS buddies in the Midwest come to Gingerman. I would love to run them. Last time I went, there was no similar cars to mine there. All the cars at the open event were either sports cars or dedicated race cars. There was a E36 ME and modded ITR present which I passed on numerous occasions(drivers probably had no clue), but that was it. I will be there a few times for open events next spring and summer. Cost is 50 bucks and the open events are usually on wednesday or thursday nights.
I'll let them know when the subject of autocrosses/track days in the Midwest comes up. The idea now is to promote fun and participation, and not another forum war.

Florida/Georgia only came up because being the good friend that he is, IS_Dude volunteered to extend my original challenge to his neck of the woods. I obviously can't issue a challenge for every enthusiast on our board nor should I ask people to volunteer, ya know what I mean?

50 bucks? That's insanely cheap, assuming it's a track day. Track day participation runs from $100-$200 here in SoCal, plus most of us have to travel more than a hundred to miles to and from the track. Too-high real estate prices anywhere in reasonable vincinity of the sprawled-out megapolis.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AutoX is not possible... my contention here is for a straight-line drag-race. My suspension is 100% stock...!
Old 12-22-2002, 04:00 PM
Pro

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
AutoX is not possible... my contention here is for a straight-line drag-race. My suspension is 100% stock...!
(Dude, the thread is about an autocross and/or track day challenge!)
Old 12-22-2002, 04:42 PM
Instructor

COme to the AUdi Car club event in Pahrumo(Spring MTN raceway) in March. Should be fun and I have heard alot of Corvette owners are showing. I will go against the car you have, but remember I got a Big ol 4000lb sedan!! LOL
Not a timed event, but we could tell what car is really quicker out there. Should be alot of fun.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Ming 2.7T
COme to the AUdi Car club event in Pahrumo(Spring MTN raceway) in March. Should be fun and I have heard alot of Corvette owners are showing. I will go against the car you have, but remember I got a Big ol 4000lb sedan!! LOL
Not a timed event, but we could tell what car is really quicker out there. Should be alot of fun.
Pahrump? Isn't it being sold? The last I heard it was on the market for $8.5 million. I guess events are still being held?

(Assuming that...)

I'll see, but three months is a little hard to plan for.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:49 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Hey Maximized... I'm tentitively planning on going to Gingerman this summer with my BMW buddy. I'll let you know if I do for sure make the plans to go.

And I'll be taking my CL.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Oh yeah, and it'll be one of the BMW driving schools... So it'll be more than the 50 bucks you mentioned.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib
Hey Maximized... I'm tentitively planning on going to Gingerman this summer with my BMW buddy. I'll let you know if I do for sure make the plans to go.

And I'll be taking my CL.
Gingerman is a fun time. What mods do you have done to your suspension? Do some research and invest in some "race" pads for track use. My Performance Frictions melted and cracked from the stress induced at the track. I am going to try Hawk HPS+'s next time I go, since I have heard good things about them.

If you plan on going to the BMW event, let me know. I am signed up for a ClubSi event in early June, which is 70 dollars all day if anyone is interested.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:41 PM
6th Gear

Wow! I thought this thread died too. Maximized I know of someone in the Cleveland area that goes to track events occasionally. I can ask him if he knows of this track if you want. I warn you though, he's got a snail under the hood. But he's a really cool guy and I'm sure everyone would have fun regardless.

lmk if you're interested and I'll contact him.

Originally posted by Maximized