CF Hood? Trunk Lid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CF Hood? Trunk Lid?

Has anyone had any issues with the carbon fiber hoods? The only one that I've see in person looked like the latch area is pretty weak and the guy wasn't able to use the washer squirters. Have any of you had these same issues?

Also, has anyone purchased the trunk lid as well? Are you happy with it? can you easily add a 2 bolt lip spoiler?

I had CF hood/trunk on a previous car and I ended up going back to the factory hood due to lift issues and then removed the trunk as the bolt on lip spoiler I had started cracking the clear coat after only 3 months! and it applied next to no down force.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Racer

PS - The brand was VIS so it wasn't a knock off or crap brand... There's a bad batch from every company I hear.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I have both hood and trunk. Hood good, trunk not so much.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-problems-fixes-70/fitment-problems-quality-concerns-vis-cf-trunk-760849/

That's the thread I made this time last year about the VIS cf trunk. I am still riding with it, I look at it every day and wonder why I haven't fixed it or taken it off. It really erks me. But I just read over the thread again and the advice I got was pretty solid. I need to mess with the trunk springs as I am certain that is the problem keeping it from fitting flush.

Then there's the problem with the uneven surface where there are dimples or dents almost. I know to fix this its got to be sanded down, new epoxy or glass put over top smoothed out perfect, then add clear coat paint. Allot more work then I think I want to do.

I think I might finally be open to offers to sell this thing cheap. Pm me and make an offer if anyone's interested.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,422 Likes on 4,953 Posts
Forgot about that thread. My hood and trunk are sitting in the garage. I still want to get them to fit. Might address it this weekend if its not raining.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SlickShiftNall6
Then there's the problem with the uneven surface where there are dimples or dents almost.
That's usually from a bad mold. I had that problem on my old hood. I called VIS and they shipped me a replacement after I sent them pictures of the original. They didn't even request the original hood back as all they would do is scrap it anyways.

I'm under the hood quite a bit. Have you had any issues with the latch area cracking or becoming weak?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 PM

They havent changed the mold in quite a few years. I remember there being members from before I joined complaining that it didnt fit, and I bought mine a little over a year ago. Id bet if you buy one today, it will have the same exact issues we have.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
They havent changed the mold in quite a few years. I remember there being members from before I joined complaining that it didnt fit, and I bought mine a little over a year ago. Id bet if you buy one today, it will have the same exact issues we have.
I understand the fitment issues as listed in the referenced thread, but I was curious about the hood latch info. Does yours have any stress cracks from opening/closing the hood? Does the extended area from the hood (behind the grill) have any stress cracks or weak points as well?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Youll have to ask Slick on that one. Since the trunk didnt fit properly, I didnt keep the hood on it.

Rajca has hood pins though because he said at higher speeds the front corners would flutter in the wind. Im sure that movement would cause some stress cracks in it if you dont run pins.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Racer

Well, this has been my experience with carbon fiber products:

KNOCK OFF VIS hoods & trunks are all over ebay. You get them, they look good/real, they have the "VIS" badge and you get carried away with the fact that you own a huge chunk of carbon fiber....but that's not the real VIS badge 4 out of 5 times. These items usually shift in the wind and have fitment issues. I made the mistake of buying a "VIS" hood on ebay, and at higher speeds it did shake/shutter. After comparing it to my VIS hood on another car, you can see that the weave is different and the under structure is COMPLETELY different. After buying yet ANOTHER VIS hood for the same application through a local shop, all issues were corrected. There was no way that the 2 hoods came from the same manufacturer.

I would only buy VIS through an authorized distributor locally or direct from VIS.

Seibon makes a great product as well. Never have heard of any issues (locally) but they don't make much of anything for the CL.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
I have a friend that owns a shop he's a authorized vis dealer but after reading a bunch of posts on fitment issues I've been scared to purchase the set. It seems like the trunk has more fitment issues than the hood. Does anyone have pictures of a trunk that fit correct? Did you ever get your trunk to line up correctly slickshiftnall6?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Forgot about that thread. My hood and trunk are sitting in the garage. I still want to get them to fit. Might address it this weekend if its not raining.
i remember you said that same thing last time and months have passed... lol
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Youll have to ask Slick on that one. Since the trunk didnt fit properly, I didnt keep the hood on it.

Rajca has hood pins though because he said at higher speeds the front corners would flutter in the wind. Im sure that movement would cause some stress cracks in it if you dont run pins.

Originally Posted by dbramaged

KNOCK OFF VIS hoods & trunks are all over ebay. You get them, they look good/real, they have the "VIS" badge and you get carried away with the fact that you own a huge chunk of carbon fiber....but that's not the real VIS badge 4 out of 5 times. These items usually shift in the wind and have fitment issues. I made the mistake of buying a "VIS" hood on ebay, and at higher speeds it did shake/shutter. After comparing it to my VIS hood on another car, you can see that the weave is different and the under structure is COMPLETELY different. After buying yet ANOTHER VIS hood for the same application through a local shop, all issues were corrected. There was no way that the 2 hoods came from the same manufacturer.

I would only buy VIS through an authorized distributor locally or direct from VIS.

Seibon makes a great product as well. Never have heard of any issues (locally) but they don't make much of anything for the CL.
i got an authentic vis hood. badge along with serial number. u can get ahold of vis and give them ur serial number and they will tell u info about the hood.

fitment was great. under structure is great quality. weave is also great.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM

I got mine from an authorized dealer, I verified with VIS before I purchased. The weave looks great and so does the rest of the construction. Fitment is the issue.

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
i remember you said that same thing last time and months have passed... lol
Yea, well........
Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Quarantuning

Originally Posted by 1foxbody
Did you ever get your trunk to line up correctly slickshiftnall6?
No I haven't tried to get it to fit. I've had numerous people look at it and give opinions i'm just kinda over it you know...

As far as the quality and whatnot: no ebay hoods here. Actually nothing on my car came from ebay. lol. But yeah I still got fitment problems with the trunk. However the hood is great, solid, fits perfect. Had a few people even say they've never seen that good of fitment on a cf part. As we all know cf parts as a whole are not known for their great fitment. I also do not get movement from the hood at high speeds. (and I've tested it..)

You mention latch problems dbramaged. Took a look today and didn't see any stress cracks or anything out of the ordinary. Hood has been used for almost 2 years now. However slightly north of the latch there was some separating or peeling of the coating used underneath. Will try and get a real pic up of it, my droid wasn't getting the details. But I can tell you the cracking is not structural.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Racer

You mention latch problems dbramaged. Took a look today and didn't see any stress cracks or anything out of the ordinary. Hood has been used for almost 2 years now. However slightly north of the latch there was some separating or peeling of the coating used underneath. Will try and get a real pic up of it, my droid wasn't getting the details. But I can tell you the cracking is not structural.
Thank you. After wheels, suspension, intake, full exhaust, the hood/trunk will be purchased... So I'm thinking mid/late summer. lol
Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Quarantuning

Thank you. After wheels, suspension, intake, full exhaust, the hood/trunk will be purchased... So I'm thinking mid/late summer. lol
That sounds like a good plan, maybe suspension first then wheels. Or better yet both at once. That's what I always seem to do... Hoard parts for ever and then install all at once.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Racer

That sounds like a good plan, maybe suspension first then wheels. Or better yet both at once. That's what I always seem to do... Hoard parts for ever and then install all at once.
That's the plan... I don't do wheels/suspension unless at the same time. lol The intake/exhaust will be done the day before the suspension... Hood/Trunk w/ Lip Spoiler later this summer... I'll have to get a back up grill for the CF hood too... lol