Ceremonial First Wax today... :) Meguiar's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 02:21 AM
w.t.f., mate?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceremonial First Wax today... :) Meguiar's

Hey guys, I finally gave my car its first REAL waxing today...I mean I've waxed it before w/ Turtle Wax express and stuff like that, but never the "wax-on, wax-off" crap. Dang, after 7 months too....anyways, so I bought some Meguiar's Gold car wash and liquid wax. I gave my car a nice wash and then proceeded to give it the greatest washing I've ever given. After I dried it and crap, I started applying the wax. Wow, it was harder than I thought it would be...frankly I dunno how you guys can just "go out and throw on another layer of wax" all the time. *whew* Anyways, the whole thing took like 2 hours to do but I love the results. The thing is nice and shiny.

I also bought some Lexol today, but I only had time to do the vinyl, rubber, etc. I'll do the leather tommorow. But I have a question re: our steering wheel...I used the vinyl, rubber conditioner on my steering wheel. Is the steering wheel leather? If so, would the vinyl/rubber conditioner have damaged it at all? Thanks!

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!! Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector.

Former post count : Over 470
Old 01-16-2001, 07:53 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iridium130:
Meguiar's Gold</font>
Nooooo!!!!

Meguiar's Gold paste was what I used before, which admittedly smells very nice and polishes up quite well, but has insufficient surface hardness (which explains why it polishes up so well) to resist particle impact. Little particles of whatever became imbedded in the wax layer after every drive, and they wouldn't come off unless I 1) scraped with my fingernails , 2) used solvent and dissolved the wax, or 3) used a clay bar.

After I went to Finish First (before which I had to use Finish Prep to get rid of all trace of the Meguiar's), I've had no such problems.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-16-2001, 09:53 AM
Instructor

I use Finish First products also and think they work great.

------------------
2001 Acura CL-S
  • White/Tan
  • Navagation
  • Spoiler
  • Mud Flaps
  • Wood trim
  • Formula One 35% tint all around
Old 01-16-2001, 10:05 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I used Meguiars Gold Paste wax around thanksgiving and haven't had any problems yet. I prefer paste over liquid. It seems that I always use to much wax when I used the liquid. I'm going to be getting a can of some professional stuff in the spring. My friend has a PDA (Professional Detailer Assocation) license, and gets all the good stuff.