Celica GTS coming up fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 11:23 AM
VP of wtncarclub.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Celica GTS coming up fast

I was on my way home coming up 85 N ( just got done taking my final exam in Philosophy )when I see this Celica weaving in and out of traffic and coming up fast. I was crusin at about 80 when he decides to cruise past me in the right lane. There was pretty heavy traffic but I figured what the hell. I dropped down to D3, instantly got behind him and saw that it was a GTS. We were cutting in and out of traffic at about 95 at this point, when he decides to hit the HOV lane. I was all over his ass until he decided to pull to the side and let me pass. I whizzed by at about 120 and in the process looked over for half a second and the dude looked pissed. I know the GTS is pretty quick but no competition this time, I don't think he had many if any mods. Just thought I'd share.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:49 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Good Kill!

Good kill on the GT-S. They have good low end power but, they lose a lot of highend power due to their 180-160 hp and very low torque. I don't even waste gas on them or the SIs anymore.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro

A Celica GTS will pull away from a 98 SE Maxima 5spd at around 80mph. Now, last time I checked the Max has been and still is faster than 3.0 CL or Accord, so you must be modded, right?
Old 12-12-2001, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

sounds like he wasn't trying to race you, but more over get on his way. jerk.. j/k
Old 12-12-2001, 10:18 PM
VP of wtncarclub.com

No actually I'm not modded at all...yet. Unless you consider removing your air silencer a mod. Yeah I'm pretty sure the guy was trying cause like I said we were weaving in and out at about 90 and when we caught a clean straight shot I was all over him so he got over. And as I passed I got the F-you look. He might have gotten a little nervous seeing as how the roads were beggining to get wet. I was getting nervous too but was not planning on lettin up until I passed.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:07 PM

you guys may be talking about different genereations of GT-S,
Old 12-14-2001, 12:15 AM
Pro

Originally posted by CLUofI
you guys may be talking about different genereations of GT-S,
Must be, cuz i know damn well that a 3.0 CL can't beat a current gen GT-S if the guy was trying.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:57 AM
VP of wtncarclub.com

It seemed to me like he was trying.....but like I said the roads were a little wet, so maybe he got nervous and let off. Who knows....Anyway I know that when he was tryin for that little bit I was all over him. I s*@t you not.:shakehd:
Old 12-14-2001, 02:04 PM
kee-master

Re: Celica GTS coming up fast

Originally posted by untouChabLe
I was on my way home coming up 85 N ( just got done taking my final exam in Philosophy )when I see this Celica weaving in and out of traffic and coming up fast. I was crusin at about 80 when he decides to cruise past me in the right lane. There was pretty heavy traffic but I figured what the hell. I dropped down to D3, instantly got behind him and saw that it was a GTS. We were cutting in and out of traffic at about 95 at this point, when he decides to hit the HOV lane. I was all over his ass until he decided to pull to the side and let me pass. I whizzed by at about 120 and in the process looked over for half a second and the dude looked pissed. I know the GTS is pretty quick but no competition this time, I don't think he had many if any mods. Just thought I'd share.
ahh.. i did once too.. didn't see if it's a gt or gts.. prob a gts cuz i don't think the gt could do what he did...
i was cruising about 75 and i saw the car coming up beside me REAL fast... so i drop to D3.. floored it... by the time he caught up to me I was already at his speed (almost 100)... and then i slowly pulled away from him... ^^ i thought the car is fater than my 1st gen.. but i guess not at high speed.. ^_^

hg
Old 12-14-2001, 02:10 PM
Banned

The celica GT-S is a monster on the freeway....all of the Toyotas are geared for freeway speeds...the DOHC helps it breathe at high rpms...and the 6 spd...well...nuff said.

Thorodred....have you ever seen a GT-S? That thing is dinky...weighs maybe 2600 lbs. loaded...and has 180 hp mated to a 6spd...the motor is from Yamaha....so it likes to rev...basically, a 2.0L motorcycle engine...it will walk on the 1st gens and give the 2nd gens a good run...especially if you go pass 110mph.....
Old 12-14-2001, 02:26 PM
kee-master

umm.. so that could of been a gt that i was running with ehh..
DANG

hg
Old 12-14-2001, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Anyone consider maybe it was an auto???
Old 12-16-2001, 12:33 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

[i]\Thorodred....have you ever seen a GT-S? That thing is dinky...weighs maybe 2600 lbs. loaded...and has 180 hp mated to a 6spd...the motor is from Yamaha....so it likes to rev...basically, a 2.0L motorcycle engine...it will walk on the 1st gens and give the 2nd gens a good run...especially if you go pass 110mph..... [/B]
Hey Moo - I am not going to argue on the GT-S tho, HOWEVER, my cousin and I went shopping for cars a month ago and we tested ALOT of cars. The celica GT-S and the Acura RSX Type S had to be pushed extremely hard to get good times and actually the free reving Type S RSX actually kept highways speeds longer that the GTS. I know because the dealer we went to allowed us to open the GTS up on the capital beltway. When in high gears and you need to floor them, if you don't know what you are doing or not a quick shifter, it really lags. I raced a few out here in MD and if I am on the beltway and SS to 3rd I am EATING those things up and I don't even have headers and all that stuff you guys have. I still like them, and I am not saying they are not fast but, you need a real experienced driver behind the wheel of those and not a kid who wants to race looking at mag times.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:49 PM
Pro

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that the current gen CLS is faster than current gen GT-S (although it would be damn close IMO based on my encounters with both cars on the Capital beltway as well). Just telling you how it is, the CLS moving start from 70mph sux ass. Don't believe me, ask NovaWhiteTypeS, I destroyed a CLS with my 540i (I know, it's a V8) and my encounter with a GT-S, well I destroyed him too, but based on that it is my opinion that it would be a damn close race from 70+ with the edge to the CLS IMO due to its HP. Watch out for 4th gear though, you'd lose to just about any descent powered car. That is the only gripe I ever had with my TL.

I agree totally with Thoro, I drove a GT-S and it is TypeR like. Off the line, unless you rev the shit out of it, it too sux ass, but once moving and RPM in the upper range, they are beatst.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:53 PM
Banned

Oh...that's what I'm saying...all those cars at high freeway speeds....can downshift 2 gears from cruising and floor it in there VTEC or Vvti-L....they go....the CL is a bit slow at 70, but if you have the headers...different story...