CDR labeled CD's in CD player getting stuck..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDR labeled CD's in CD player getting stuck..

I know this belongs in the audio channel, but I thought I might get a better response here.

Anyone have any problems with CDR Labeled CD's getting stuck in the CD player?? Is there a solution to this (other than not sticking labels on the CD!! ) like maybe possibly a certain brand of CD labels, or CD labeling type?? I seem to have this problem only with our CD players. Currently I am using the Neato CD labels.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Instructor

i used to use that junk then just started using a fine-point sharpie.. i think all the brands are pretty crappy. because it is hard to make sure the label is all even and thus create vibrations at high cd speed. if you must have a fancy label try getting a cd printer that prints right onto the cd itself..
Old 01-21-2002, 05:42 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Re: CDR labeled CD's in CD player getting stuck..

Originally posted by JSuppi
I know this belongs in the audio channel, but I thought I might get a better response here.
Anyone have any problems with CDR Labeled CD's getting stuck in the CD player?? Is there a solution to this (other than not sticking labels on the CD!! ) like maybe possibly a certain brand of CD labels, or CD labeling type?? I seem to have this problem only with our CD players. Currently I am using the Neato CD labels.
Ha, I use to work for that company in East Haven, CT. It was actually part of another company but they sold it off.

There's a trick to pulling the labels off. Flip the label sheet upside down and peal the labels off so the sticky side is up. It will stay flat and not curl. Unless you put the CDs with the newly applied labels in a book over night, the temp changes in the car with the cold to hot will mess with the labels a lot! Not to mention avoiding bubbles when applying.... Try that but when the company started messing with the labels, they found the thickness messed with a lot of systems. I don't know what they're using now but they had it figured out then.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to buy CD-Rs that have a nice face on them where you can just use a Sharpie to write the artist/album on them. The whole "label" thing is so overrated.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock
You need to buy CD-Rs that have a nice face on them where you can just use a Sharpie to write the artist/album on them. The whole "label" thing is so overrated.

ditto.

don't use lablels period.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Pro

Old 01-21-2002, 06:22 PM
At least it's not Jersey

I use to get the lables for free and just use a sharpie now. Perfectionism is nice but in the end, nobody cares trust me.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:36 PM
Pro

i used to label all my cds and try to make them beautiful. Just use a sharpie, it's so much faster and easier and it won't ever come off.

-briancl
Old 01-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Neech

I use to get the lables for free and just use a sharpie now. Perfectionism is nice but in the end, nobody cares trust me.
When it comes to CDRs:

The CD is in your player. The only markings on it that matter are ones that can help you identify it in a pile of similar CDRs. It's not like you can look at it once it's in the 6-disc changer.

The liner notes are what matter - that is where you write out the track listing with a pen so you can show it to someone who wants to know what's on the CD.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:20 PM
Race Director

Probably so but you know like I know, there are those who wish to use the labels. Like me! So after much ado, I've found something that work. Now all of my audio and video CDs are correctly labeled and they never get stuck.

The CD label system is the Stomper.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:29 PM
At least it's not Jersey

The liner notes are what matter - that is where you write out the track listing with a pen so you can show it to someone who wants to know what's on the CD.
I know it and agree. I suck at remembering name and titles so it vital to have some info. I'm looking for an MP3 player. A friend has a hard drive/Mp3 head unit, which he is always trying to resell. The hard drive can be hot swapped with his pc in order to drop more MP3s to. Cool idea but a lot of overhead. Especially considering there is a hard drive in the car. I was considering one of those Alpine CE units that play MP3s that also runs Navi but I don't know what I'm doing with my car in the next year.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

I bought a stomper kit two years ago at $29 or $39. Now they seen to have trouble selling them for $9.

I stopped using them when they jammed in my CLS when I tried to eject.

I agree with the proponents of the Sharpee.

Old 01-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by clark lemke
I bought a stomper kit two years ago at $29 or $39. Now they seen to have trouble selling them for $9.

I stopped using them when they jammed in my CLS when I tried to eject.

I agree with the proponents of the Sharpee.

Well you know just like I know that the current market value for any CD labeling system is $19 for the tool and the labels or $9 for the labels. The CD labeling market has little to no room for variability. It's a commodity. Nobody can sell a kit for >$29 regardless of the quality.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear

I understand that Stomper is now a commodity and prices are down.
My unclear intent was to show that I wanted labels bad enough to pay $30.

Nonetheless, I value being able to eject CDs from the CLS deck without worrying about damaging the player or the CD.

That's the message I wanted to impart. The Stomper is not a Panacea. To Stomper's credit, it didn't create the bubbling problem or the high speed instability problem mentioned. I just feel that the excess thickness problem for the CLS deck outweighs the lable's benefits.

Unfortunately Jewel Case covers don't work well when sticking CD's in a multi CD soft binder. I put as much detail as possible on the CD with the Sharpee.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I used that too..

Originally posted by kensteele
Probably so but you know like I know, there are those who wish to use the labels. Like me! So after much ado, I've found something that work. Now all of my audio and video CDs are correctly labeled and they never get stuck.

The CD label system is the Stomper.
Ken,
I too am using the CD Stomper as well (Thats the one with the spring loaded spindle where you put the CD label sticky side up on and you put the CD on it, and spin it right??), but it is still getting stuck in the CD player (on the eject). I have been using a sharpie to label my CD's, but due to my oh so wonderful memory I always forget what is on the CD (I generally just label the CD, since my handwriting is ever so 'not' petite , with like one word or something, anyone ever try to write tracks onto the label )

Now I know the other option is to make liner notes, but due to the fact that those freaking CD jewel cases are so large, and I never ever put the CD back in the correct one (I know i'm not the only one that does that!! ) I have decided to go with those oh so wonderful CD wallets, and CD liners might work again if I put the CD's back in the right one
Old 01-21-2002, 10:35 PM
www.drippinwet.com

labels are gay
Old 01-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Rx Master

MY CD-RS get stuck also sometimes, i dont know why, i had a blank one get stuck too, dont know why, but if a cd is stuck that is a major problem.
wg
Old 01-21-2002, 11:19 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by clark lemke
Nonetheless, I value being able to eject CDs from the CLS deck without worrying about damaging the player or the CD.
Then by all means hook up the Sharpie action.

Unfortunately Jewel Case covers don't work well when sticking CD's in a multi CD soft binder. I put as much detail as possible on the CD with the Sharpee.
Ah okay, now I understand why liner notes aren't what you need.

Well in my case, I use the really thin CD cases for my music CDs. It just so happens that the CDRs I buy (Memorex CD-R 700MB 80 minute, 24x dark blue box w/ red top-right-corner that says "Space Saving Slim Jewel Cases") come with thin cases. The benefit of these is that two or three of them take up the space of one regular jewelcase and what I do is just choose around 8-10 CDs I really want to have with me, stick them in these slim cases and stick them in the center console (they fit nicely, especially if you angle them a bit to one side).

I've actually gotten down to around 4-6 CDs I take with me and I just leave the CDs in the changer and if for some reason I want to see what's on a certain CD, I have the liner notes right in those slim jewel cases in the console.

So for me, a Sharpie works just right. I label the CD with a name and then title the liner paper the same and then write all the tracks down on the liner paper. All set.

Heck, I guess if you were REALLY anal, you could just write down each CD's info on liner papers, laminate them, and stick those in your console if you didn't want to be stuck with all the cases (even the slimline ones) in your console.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:44 AM