Carbon Fiber Hood or Get It Painted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Carbon Fiber Hood or Get It Painted?

My hood is pretty scratched up, I'm not exactly sure from what, but it had some scratches when I got it. There is one pretty deep one. I am more about keeping things tasteful and I was wondering what people thought. My car is black, so it probably wouldn't be terrible, plus I like the idea of dropping some weight off the beast. Any opinions?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CF hood.

A new CF hood would only cost a little more than getting the whole hood painted anyways.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:17 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
how about get it repainted and then tell me how much it cost you, i need it too.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

i figured the cost of the paint job, i migth as well get the hood and let the body shop put it on. plus i know the guys at the shop so theyd give me a deal. i'm getting the tl kit put on so i'd do this at the same time.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I keeps it real

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a fan of anything carbon fiber. Like your name, i like my CL clean. That means nothing constrasting or breaking the beautiful lines of this car.

To each their own though. If you like CF, go for it. If you're unsure if you like it, i'd stick to painting it before you commit to something you're unsure about.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride
I'm not a fan of anything carbon fiber. Like your name, i like my CL clean. That means nothing constrasting or breaking the beautiful lines of this car.

To each their own though. If you like CF, go for it. If you're unsure if you like it, i'd stick to painting it before you commit to something you're unsure about.
Break what lines? It replaces the stock hood, and would barely be noticable on a black car. I think it would look clean on a black car since it will blend in.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
CF on the CLS =
IMHO

As you said your car is black & it wouldn't stand out. Just get your hood repainted.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Break what lines? It replaces the stock hood, and would barely be noticable on a black car. I think it would look clean on a black car since it will blend in.
I think it would look good on black too...

Keep the Stock hood, and if you don't like it, you can always go back to stock (and repaint)....

A CF hood on my San Marino Red CLS would look like on the otherhand....
Old 05-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I keeps it real

Like I said, to each their own. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept to understand around here, especially for those under 20 years old. You'll take that as an insult but honestly, you would be surprised at the number of kids around here who get their panties in a bunch if you dont share the same sense of style.

TO ME, it ads unwelcome contrast and breaks the lines of an otherwise beautiful car. If, TO YOU, it does not..excellent.

I see breaking lines as more than just a break in the physical lines of the car. I also see it as a break to the consistency of color. Even if so subtle as carbon fiber against black. That's my opinion and it should have no bearing on what others feel looks good to them. Fair enough?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:40 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Like I said, to each their own. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept to understand around here, especially for those under 20 years old. You'll take that as an insult but honestly, you would be surprised at the number of kids around here who get their panties in a bunch if you dont share the same sense of style.

TO ME, it ads unwelcome contrast and breaks the lines of an otherwise beautiful car. If, TO YOU, it does not..excellent.

I see breaking lines as more than just a break in the physical lines of the car. I also see it as a break to the consistency of color. Even if so subtle as carbon fiber against black. That's my opinion and it should have no bearing on what others feel looks good to them. Fair enough?
Im under 20 and couldnt agree with you more. I ask for opinions all the time on this board, but ultimately, im going for what i think is right for me!!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Get the CF hood. It will look really cool on your black. I was going to get one for my car because the hood was scratched really bad.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus you have to consder, when you get a front bumper or a hood repainted you are more likely to get more rock chips. My front bumper has been repainted and now I have twice as many chips in it then before it was painted. My friend who has a body shop says that from the factory the paint on the bumper and hood is hardened to help reduce chips. Body shops can't replicate this process. He always steered me away from doing that strictly for cosmetic purposes. Then again he might not have a clue of what he is talking about, but I thought I would give you some insight. Since you know the guys at the body shop, ask them and see what they say.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I wan't attacking you, I just don't see it as breaking the lines of the car. I can understand your point on it contrasting, but it shouldn't on a Black car really. To me breaking the lines would be adding a spoiler or body kit, which some like, some don't.

Like I said, I wasn't attacking you, everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just didn't understand what you considered breaking the lines.

I have much love for Duckie
Old 05-02-2005, 02:20 PM
That's Racist

So where are CF hoods available for our 2nd gens? Anyone know about how much they run for?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:56 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
So where are CF hoods available for our 2nd gens? Anyone know about how much they run for?
VIS racing. I have one in my backyard if you're interested
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

the only issue i have with the cf hood is that if your going to do it right, i think i read that you need to fabricate the mounts so the hood is held on the same way as it would stock, otherwise you would need hood pins which im not doing.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

:idea: if he doesnt like the look of CF he can get it painted.. a lot of people do that
Old 05-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Enjoy the Ride

Originally Posted by CleanCL
the only issue i have with the cf hood is that if your going to do it right, i think i read that you need to fabricate the mounts so the hood is held on the same way as it would stock, otherwise you would need hood pins which im not doing.

actually the VIS hood already has the mounts so that you actually use the stock shocks that hold up the hood.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I NEED MONEY!

ur not gnna feel a big difference with the cf hood...so just paint yours...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:09 PM
I keeps it real

Red face

I wan't attacking you, I just don't see it as breaking the lines of the car. I can understand your point on it contrasting, but it shouldn't on a Black car really. To me breaking the lines would be adding a spoiler or body kit, which some like, some don't.

Like I said, I wasn't attacking you, everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just didn't understand what you considered breaking the lines.

I have much love for Duckie
Sorry for flyin off the handle there man. I've been wound a little tight since hearing about Red. My fault.