CARB Confusion kinda long sorry

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CARB Confusion kinda long sorry

Whats up guys....kinda pissed off right now, or frustrated, but can anybody break it down barney style and explain this carb stuff??!?? I bought the weapon r intake to find out its pending (so says Anna @ weapon-r), and I would like to buy the DC Sports headers and Greddy EVO 2 exhaust. I looked on the DC website and it says they're "Emmissions code: Pending". As for the EVO2's (part# Part Number 10156690) I can't find anything on their website. I'm in California where the cops can be dicks, and have read numerous stories on fresnoracing.net about people just cruising and getting pulled over for thier exhaust being too loud and then the cop doesn't say anything about the exhaust but wants them to pop the hood so he can have a look. SO if I just buy what I want and get pulled over what can/will happen? I dont want to spend a few grand just to end up putting it back to stock when I have to get smogged, and at the same time I dont want to be the douche bag rollin stock!!! PLEASE dont tell me to search b/c I have, and everytime I do I just want to put the computer in the dumpster.
Thanks for your time guys,
-Baum
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
all of comptech's stuff is carb approved.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Instructor

But it cost's an arm and a leg! I'm not a cheap ass its just that I'm in the military and we dont really make a shit load of money. Also, the mod bug bit me good and I want everything yesterday! haha
Old 09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
CARB Approved means it will meet and pass california's tough emission laws...as where in other states they aren't so tough...A CARB sticker on all you aftermarket parts will in hopes, let you pass the first stage of emissions.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Instructor

One of the guys at work was just tellin me that on newer cars you have a certain period of time, he said he thought 2-4 yrs., before you have to get smogged. If thats so I have an '03 so I'd have untill next year to wait. Would this be a good idea or am I shooting for failure?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BaumBizzle
One of the guys at work was just tellin me that on newer cars you have a certain period of time, he said he thought 2-4 yrs., before you have to get smogged. If thats so I have an '03 so I'd have untill next year to wait. Would this be a good idea or am I shooting for failure?
Failure is upon you...don't try to fool the system when you got smogged in Cali...you can pay hefty fines which isn't worth it. Just take a day to swap stuff out that isn't carb approved and you'll be "Good to go!"
Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
our 1999 TL just required a smog check this year so I'm hoping that the 2003's won't be due for at least another 3 years.

There are guys that I know that have been pulled over for having an aftermarket exhaust. Cat back Exhaust systems in CA don't have to be CARB approved but the officers will use the excuse that they think the exhaust doesn't meet noise level requirements. They write up a fix-it ticket and send you to an emissions Referee who is a government official. Once you get referred over to the referee, they'll go through your car to make sure any of your mods are CARB approved. They pulled the ECU on one guys car and discovered that it had been chipped.

The frustrating thing is that your car can meet the smog output levels but if your car can't pass the visual inspection, you're screwed.

Intakes are hit and miss. I've had guys that don't care and others that are purely by the book. I wouldn't sweat the intake that much since it's easy enough to swap back. For headers, I would stick with Comptech as that's an item they will definitely take a look at. Exhaust will be fine siince it's not required to have CARB approval.

I haven't been pulled over yet. I think the CL is less suseptable to being targeted and pulled over unless you're goofing off in front of a cop.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I would definately say stick with Comptechs. Although it really depends on who you go to. I say, install the parts.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The reason CT is $$ is the carb sticker. All of their stuff for all cars is carb certified.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Hope theres no cops in this forum....one of my buddies at work said he bought a CARB sticker online for $8 b/c the guys state didnt require one. Anybody know of a place I can get this (PM me) or when you do go to get a smog check do they actually run the EO# and all that stuff or could get one from something else and jsut put in on my intake?!? I know kinda shady but my dumbass tossed the stock box before I realized the poo I was in! Thanks,
-Baum
Old 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Instructor

I finally got ahold of the DMV today and they told me my car doesn't need to be smogged untill 2009....YESSSSS!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by BaumBizzle
I finally got ahold of the DMV today and they told me my car doesn't need to be smogged untill 2009....YESSSSS!!!!
Problem solved.