Car problems? Some Input please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Car problems? Some Input please

I have been avoiding a dealer trip for some time now, but it's gotten worse. I always wonder with the crap dealers by me if they will see a problem. Or deny any work cause of my mods. Here are my problems..

For the last 6 months I have been hearing a ticking noise from the engine. I know of the noise from the emmission things coming from the fierwall area. It's NOT that. This is coming from the engine. It also only starts after the car is warmed & been driving for a few miles. I hear this ticking when I step on the gas till about 2800 rpm then it dissappears after that. Don't hear it when idle. It's gotten louder the last month. I'm thinking lifter tap noise, but if that's the case wouldn't the noise be there when the car is idle? At startup? & be there when the car was cold? Any idea's?

2nd thing is my car vibrates alot. More so when the AC is on. If I'm sitting at a light the steering wheel shakes, the seat shakes, the pedals shake. With the AC off the vibrations are alot less but still there. I was thinking motor mounts. I looked at them & they look ok. I see no leakage. Any input on this too?

3rd thing is my passanger rear speaker is blown I think. It rattles & distorts, but only on some kinds of music, & doesn't do it all the time. I added the basslink & tapped into the factory wiring at the amp. I didn't touch the speaker. You think the dealer might refuse replacing it because of this? With the track record with my dealers I think they will try to.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't help with most of your problems, but for the ticking the first thing I'd check is your headers.

I ticking sound is one of the first signs of an exhaust leak in the header area. Check to be sure the headers/gaskets are firmly seated and also check the welds at all the junctions of the headers, they are the weakest point and a bad weld could have a pin point leak.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the grill on the top of the rear speaker, I have a similar problem, with certain types of music.

I have a tapping when the heater is running, but I never seem to have it when I go to the dealer, this is different from the one coming from the firewall and also behind the driver door.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Got some things fixed yesterday
The ticking was "excessive valve lash" It was adjusted & my car is very quiet now. Night & day difference. This was also causing all my vibrations. Those are gone now too. And they did the moonroof TSB. The speaker they claimed they "could not duplicate" I got home & opened the hood to make sure everything was back in place like my strut bar & Ice Box & noticed the "Master Techs" forgot to put my oil dipstick back so I don't have one right now. I called them & I have to drive all the way back there to get them to get me one

I so wish I lived near Park Ave Acura