Car insurance. Good news follows bad news.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car insurance. Good news follows bad news.

Happy Fourth of July weekend A-CLers!

First the bad news. So I'm just bopping along, minding my own busniess when I hear it. Sounds like dropping a marble on a steel floor. So I start looking around. Yep, there it is. A pea sized chip in the windshield, right in the drivers sight line, but only about three inches above the bottom of the windshield. This was on Monday afternoon, and I have been watching it, hoping it doesn't propigate (spread). It isn't. But crap, out of the seven acuras I have owned, five of them have had damaged windshields.

So I check my policy, $500 deductable to replace a $450 windshield, so I am not going there. Let's check into glass repair.

So I call two places. One wants $90, the other $60. But the $60 guys tell me to check with my insurance company (Progressive), to see if they will waive the deductible for glass repair. Sure as hell, they will waive the deductable, and ALMOST ALL insurance companies do this in order to save money. If my deductable would have been $250, they would be out $200 if I wanted the windshield replaced. It gets fixed tomorrow. When fixed, I'll tell you how that goes.

BTW, some of you will remember my car got hit pretty good a while back. The repair work was first quality. The person who hit me (I was DEAD stopped) had Allstate, and I asked the body shop owner how it was to deal with Allstate. He told me "Listen. Owning a body shop has very little to do with fixing cars. That part is really pretty easy. Owning a body shop has everything to do with fighting with insurance companies."

I asked him about Allstate. He said they were miserable to deal with.

I asked him about Progressive, who I have never had a claim with. At first, he used one word. "Magnificent!" Then he followed up. "With Progressive, I have gotten a go ahead and a check in as little as four hours. In a worst case, 24 hours. They pay first, and decide fault later.

FYI guys and gals.