Old 03-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Zaino get swirls out of black?

thanks
Old 03-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Z5 is for paint swirls. Once they're gone, use the Z2.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is from www.zainobros.com ,

"Z-5 POLISH FOR SWIRL MARKS & FINE SCRATCHES

FACT. The only way to remove, heavy swirl marks and scratches from a clear coated surface is to have the car professionally machine buffed with an abrasive compound. This should be the last resort, as factory clear coat is very thin and you can break thru it very easily. Also, most polishes and waxes contain abrasives, they remove some swirl marks but create new swirls. Kinda of catch-22. Z-5 is the first non-abrasive polish that will eliminate swirl marks, fine scratches and spidering, without hurting the integrity of the clear coat. It does this in stages, anywhere between 1 to 3 applications. This in itself is a major technological breakthrough. With each application of Z-5 polish, you will see the swirl marks and fine scratches gradually lessen, until the marks are no longer visible. Although this procedure may seem time consuming, the results are well worth it. This is the only way a swirl mark problem should be addressed and corrected.

Z-5 is the safest, most cost effective way of repairing the paint, so to speak. After you are satisfied with the way the paint looks. Switch to Z-2 Show Car Polish to achieve an even higher wet-looking, optically perfect paint finish. Follow up with Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray. Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray should be used between every coat of Z-5 or Z-2. It is an extremely high, optical enhancing product and dramatically increases light refraction and reflection. The results will knock your socks off! All Show Car Polish products are molecular crosslinking and are 100% compatible with each other.

NOTE: For any future swirls or scratches you may get, just reapply Z-5 to the affected area or the whole car if you prefer. Z-5 can be used right over Z-2. They are completely compatible and interchangeable. For the highest optical paint enhancement always follow up Z-5 with a coat of Z-2. One eight ounce bottle of Z-5 Polish will yield approximately eight to ten coats on a mid-size car."
Old 03-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Buff it with some 3M buffing compound....then Z5....then Z2
Old 03-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Banned

Is Zaino Z5 that good that it will diminish swirls and scratches every application cause if it is Ill buy a carton of the shit. I thinking of having my car buffed professionally but Im afraid that the clear coat will be taken away and the car will never look brand new again.

Im looking for something I can use that will create a coat of protection film if you will that will give a nice luster.....what are my options on a black car ????
Old 03-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Instructor

honestly z5 is like every other product. after a while, the product is removed or washed away.

i would agree with Nicky Pass and use some compound, time, and a nice foam pad / clean towel / random orbital, then utilize the z5 or a similar product to further reduce the spidering.

since my car has been repainted (i have a black car too), i will have to utilize carnuba for about 2 months, and i hate the way carnuba dries and likes to hide in ALL the crevices when buffed.

on the bright side z5 does not create as much dust / debris as carnuba.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Drifting

I love black. And I am very knowledgeable about paint-espescially powder coatings. But this is why I never buy black cars. They look spectacular for the first 15 minutes after they hand you the keys. Then, it is an uphill battle all the way!

Something you should know (you probably do) is that a clear coat on top of a color coat, is that the darker the color, the more scratching will be magnified. Any place that sells countertops, formica or otherwise, will always caution you to "set things, not slide things" over high gloss countertops, because they do not want to hear your complaints as your new countertops appear to wear prematurely.

If the gloss of the clear coat is lowered, or the base coat shifts more twoard white (or pastels), the problem goes away, or at least lessens.

This may sound ironic, but you would be suprised to find out how tough paints are in some aspects, and yet so fragile in others. I'd take the Zaino to a good body shop, and let some guy who does this kind of stuff 8 hours a day do it. I guarantee you that that guy has burned through a clear coat more than once, and when that happens, AT LEAST that entire panel has to be redone, if not the entire car. He will have a light "touch".

Like I said, I love black, and white. And by the way, black and white are NOT colors. They are bases. Colors have hues. White and black have no hue.

Black is luxurious, and white is considered to be ellegant. (my 03 CLS6 is silver). And I will have another black car in my future-just as soon as I make enough money to pay someone else to maintain it!
Old 03-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by danny25
this is from www.zainobros.com ,

"Z-5 POLISH FOR SWIRL MARKS & FINE SCRATCHES

FACT. The only way to remove, heavy swirl marks and scratches from a clear coated surface is to have the car professionally machine buffed with an abrasive compound. This should be the last resort, as factory clear coat is very thin and you can break thru it very easily. Also, most polishes and waxes contain abrasives, they remove some swirl marks but create new swirls. Kinda of catch-22. Z-5 is the first non-abrasive polish that will eliminate swirl marks, fine scratches and spidering, without hurting the integrity of the clear coat. It does this in stages, anywhere between 1 to 3 applications. This in itself is a major technological breakthrough. With each application of Z-5 polish, you will see the swirl marks and fine scratches gradually lessen, until the marks are no longer visible. Although this procedure may seem time consuming, the results are well worth it. This is the only way a swirl mark problem should be addressed and corrected.

Z-5 is the safest, most cost effective way of repairing the paint, so to speak. After you are satisfied with the way the paint looks. Switch to Z-2 Show Car Polish to achieve an even higher wet-looking, optically perfect paint finish. Follow up with Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray. Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray should be used between every coat of Z-5 or Z-2. It is an extremely high, optical enhancing product and dramatically increases light refraction and reflection. The results will knock your socks off! All Show Car Polish products are molecular crosslinking and are 100% compatible with each other.

NOTE: For any future swirls or scratches you may get, just reapply Z-5 to the affected area or the whole car if you prefer. Z-5 can be used right over Z-2. They are completely compatible and interchangeable. For the highest optical paint enhancement always follow up Z-5 with a coat of Z-2. One eight ounce bottle of Z-5 Polish will yield approximately eight to ten coats on a mid-size car."
dont get me wrong, im not knocking on zaino or anything, but when i used z5...somehow, i did get other fine scratched and swirls...i have two black cars, and everything is the same...i followed sals directions word for word...and even used good expensive towels....sure, the existing ones went away, but i got a few others in other places....to be honest, zaino is the best stuff i have ever used on any of my cars...maybe im doing sumthing wrong??
Old 03-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro

I would be extremely careful wiht professional buffing, I had it done right after i got the car and now my paint on my hood is cracking.... I will never have it done again
Old 03-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally posted by mr. big
sure, the existing ones went away, but i got a few others in other places....to be honest, zaino is the best stuff i have ever used on any of my cars...maybe im doing sumthing wrong??
You must be doing something wrong.
If done correctly, I don't think -any- wax will add scratches.
You might cover existing ones up (which would be bad) but they shouldn't add any.

Either you are using towels which aren't 100% cotton, or you are using thin ones that when you rub too hard may cause scratching.
I only use really thick fluffy ones. Or your towels got dirty or something. ( Like i hope you didn't clean your wheels with your car towels )
Old 03-16-2003, 08:47 PM
Instructor

i burned through the clear colorsanding once and i learned my lesson. typically a light compound usually does the trick. looks flawless after.