Camped out in front of Comptech in the freezing cold... but WELL WORTH IT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 07:37 AM
dynamic Duo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camped out in front of Comptech in the freezing cold... but WELL WORTH IT!!!

Well, I'll try and make this as short as possible. Also, details of the CL supercharger are below...

My friend and I decided to make a little getaway from San Diego and ended up driving to Lake Tahoe... With not much money and no place to stay we prepared 3 days worth of food and clothes, and blankets to sleep 2 nights in my CL. (freezing cold??? yes, but we're college students... we can handle it!) :P

Being already that far north I thought it couldn't hurt to stop by Comptech, especially since I was pretty confident that my Header J-Pipe was defected and I had the hardest time convincing them over the phone that it was... So we went to Sacramento, chilled for a while, and at night, drove over to the Comptech factory in El Dorado Hills. Busted out the pillows and blankets, reclined the seats, busted out the alarm clock and passed out.

It was a little bit embarrassing though because my alarm clock didn't work, and ended up waking up from Mike B. knocking on my car window. I guess we were both a little speechless... I can't imagine too many people camping out in front of a place like that. Haha

I guess it was better that way though... Since the engine was cold, it was easy for me to show them that the J-Pipe indeed rattles and makes noise on cold starts... Then after careful inspection of the header they determined (finally) that it was a J-pipe from one of the earlier production models, in which the flex joint was too tight.

So while this header swap was being done, Mike B, Aaron, and Ryan showed me a quick tour of the machine shop... I saw it all..... Comptech S2000 (the one on their webpage), their NSX (could hardly breathe when I saw it), RSX, integra, drag CRX, Formula 1 car (built by Mugen), and of course, the prototype CL supercharger.
It was that exact one displayed over at SEMA.
Here's what I know...
as you've all guessed.. its a roots type supercharger using a Magnison/Eaton blower. Ball park range for the kit cost is about $4200-$4500... The only thing you would need to get on your own is a new battery thats more slim, as its placed somewhere else. Suggested upgrades are to use Redline transmission fluid, and a transmission cooler. Other than that, factory injectors (Eric, you asked me to ask them this right?) etc... are ok. No dyno results revealed until the actual release of the SC which is expected to hit the market within 2-3 months. Installation is expected to take about 6-8 hours. The Accord, CL, and TL will be using the same SC unit, but minor bolts and placements will be different according to weather you have a TL-P, TL-S, CL-P, CL-S... Also, a tech mentioned that Accord and Non-type-S Acura models might see bigger gains from the SC than Type-S models do... Could it be because of the higher compression??? I asked them that, and they were unsure. But then again, this is still pre-production phase, and I'm sure they'll have things figured out. Also and ESM unit will be supplied with the kit that is a piggyback for the factory ECU.

But yes, THAT'S ALL I KNOW... It looks REALLY nice btw...

Well, overall from snowboading in Tahoe, meeting friends, and checking out the Comptech factory was enough fun... so sleeping in the car and stopping at gas stations to use the restrooms wasn't too bad to bear.. haha. I guess what made it most worthwhile was the fact that I had my defected headers replaced... without having to worry about mailing the parts out, and waiting for the new part to come in and be carless for that time... Big thanks to Mike B, Aaron, and Ryan... those guys are awesome... if anyone ever happens to go in that area, check it out.
I'm finally back in San Diego, exhausted and in a little pain... Just put on 1300 miles in under 3 days! dang... It was worth it for me though.

pic... my car inside the machine shop
Old 12-29-2001, 07:39 AM
dynamic Duo!

Comptech cars

built by mugen
Old 12-29-2001, 09:35 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent work! Most of the informaiton was already known but some good tid-bits that people were asking about.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:01 AM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Whew!

Great job!

Nice photos!

Car is running much better I presume?

I'll just start saving my money for it once vacation is over in February.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
since you were there, have you mentioned this site to them?

if they are "lurking" around here...WE NEED BRAKES!
Old 12-29-2001, 11:37 AM
on bin laden

akim,

i'm impressed, wish I could make the drive out there ...
Old 12-29-2001, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Camped out in front of Comptech in the freezing cold... but WELL WORTH IT!!!

Originally posted by Akim711
Well, I'll try and make this as short as possible. Also, details of the CL supercharger are below...

My friend and I decided to make a little getaway from San Diego and ended up driving to Lake Tahoe... With not much money and no place to stay we prepared 3 days worth of food and clothes, and blankets to sleep 2 nights in my CL. (freezing cold??? yes, but we're college students... we can handle it!) :P

Being already that far north I thought it couldn't hurt to stop by Comptech, especially since I was pretty confident that my Header J-Pipe was defected and I had the hardest time convincing them over the phone that it was... So we went to Sacramento, chilled for a while, and at night, drove over to the Comptech factory in El Dorado Hills. Busted out the pillows and blankets, reclined the seats, busted out the alarm clock and passed out.

It was a little bit embarrassing though because my alarm clock didn't work, and ended up waking up from Mike B. knocking on my car window. I guess we were both a little speechless... I can't imagine too many people camping out in front of a place like that. Haha

I guess it was better that way though... Since the engine was cold, it was easy for me to show them that the J-Pipe indeed rattles and makes noise on cold starts... Then after careful inspection of the header they determined (finally) that it was a J-pipe from one of the earlier production models, in which the flex joint was too tight.

So while this header swap was being done, Mike B, Aaron, and Ryan showed me a quick tour of the machine shop... I saw it all..... Comptech S2000 (the one on their webpage), their NSX (could hardly breathe when I saw it), RSX, integra, drag CRX, Formula 1 car (built by Mugen), and of course, the prototype CL supercharger.
It was that exact one displayed over at SEMA.
Here's what I know...
as you've all guessed.. its a roots type supercharger using a Magnison/Eaton blower. Ball park range for the kit cost is about $4200-$4500... The only thing you would need to get on your own is a new battery thats more slim, as its placed somewhere else. Suggested upgrades are to use Redline transmission fluid, and a transmission cooler. Other than that, factory injectors (Eric, you asked me to ask them this right?) etc... are ok. No dyno results revealed until the actual release of the SC which is expected to hit the market within 2-3 months. Installation is expected to take about 6-8 hours. The Accord, CL, and TL will be using the same SC unit, but minor bolts and placements will be different according to weather you have a TL-P, TL-S, CL-P, CL-S... Also, a tech mentioned that Accord and Non-type-S Acura models might see bigger gains from the SC than Type-S models do... Could it be because of the higher compression??? I asked them that, and they were unsure. But then again, this is still pre-production phase, and I'm sure they'll have things figured out. Also and ESM unit will be supplied with the kit that is a piggyback for the factory ECU.

But yes, THAT'S ALL I KNOW... It looks REALLY nice btw...

Well, overall from snowboading in Tahoe, meeting friends, and checking out the Comptech factory was enough fun... so sleeping in the car and stopping at gas stations to use the restrooms wasn't too bad to bear.. haha. I guess what made it most worthwhile was the fact that I had my defected headers replaced... without having to worry about mailing the parts out, and waiting for the new part to come in and be carless for that time... Big thanks to Mike B, Aaron, and Ryan... those guys are awesome... if anyone ever happens to go in that area, check it out.
I'm finally back in San Diego, exhausted and in a little pain... Just put on 1300 miles in under 3 days! dang... It was worth it for me though.

pic... my car inside the machine shop
only the Sandy Eggo crew are hardcore like that!
Driving up all the way to CT.
and then not waking up to your alarm, thats classic college life

Glad you got your headers fixed Andy.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Akim, who is the person standing next to your car and do you know what the Mugen CRX runs?
Old 12-29-2001, 04:01 PM
Banned

are they makin a sc for that rsx?

Great pics man.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:01 PM
dynamic Duo!

Yes, it was quite an adventurous all together... And you said it Kvit! Livin typical college style life! haha

An SC for the RSX is likely, but I noticed they like to focus on things one at a time, and right now it is the Accord SC.

KCPreki11 - The dude standing next to my car is Ryan, the tech who worked on my car. I'm not sure what that CRX runs, but i'm sure its pretty crazy... It had rims that looked like they were only 10 inches or something!!!

ANd yes, Mike B was well aware of our site here... I also assured him that LOTS of people are keepin their fingers crossed about the supercharger. Brakes??? I think we should bitch at Acura first before expecting too much from Comptech about that... IMO.

ANd MIke if you're listening, thanks again! My trip there was awesome!! -ak
Old 12-29-2001, 05:58 PM
Down The Of System

wow, good score Akim, sounds like it was a fun trip! Representin well for SD....
Old 12-29-2001, 06:17 PM
Pro

sounds like the comptech ppl are really nice, maybe ill pay a visit to them one day.

-briancl
Old 12-29-2001, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

do all of the taillights appear to be on because of your camera?
Old 12-31-2001, 08:21 PM
3rd Gear

-_-;;

:o i can't believe i slept in your car like that. seats were comfortable, but PLEASE tell me before hand.

as far as the accord/cl/tl S/C's.. It was nicely fabricated. a lil concern though... the throttle body must be relocated to fit the S/C. air filter and piping will be bolted onto the throttle body, then piping connects the throttle body to S/C. Also, a cast molded piping from the compressed air port of S/C will be bolted onto the intake manifold itself. S/C will take place of where the stock battery is mounted. A smaller battery will be mandatory, or relocated to the back.

Comptech have also offered a new ECU type unit. its a piggyback that helps the stock ECU recognize boost or something like that. A new product from comptech~!

hopefully we can fit in an intercooler with blow off valve... sounds nice...

I hope the 6 speed is coming soon... my lease will be up on nov '02 and a new cl would definitely keep my pants from ripping. (u know what i mean Archie ^-^) i like ur alarm clock.

BTW im new here..

:edit: happy new years!!! please be safe and take care of your health.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:32 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
damn, you guys smell too

j/k

cool story, and nice pics
Old 12-31-2001, 09:04 PM
Instructor

you animal

bro i enjoyed the phone convo with u the other night and i cant wait til you come back to san diego. ur a true cl soldier. lets do my hedlights when u come back and it up the dealership....that sc is taxed. later.

all the other san diego cl people u are fucking lagging, get in touch.peace.