California Emissions and Enhancements

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Emissions and Enhancements

I have a 01' CL Type-S that I'd like to add some power too. I’m currently living in California, which has the strictest emission standards. I’m looking for any information on what kind of enhancements can be made which will allow me to pass the smog check.

Has anyone put on a supercharger, cold air intake, headers, or a similar enhancement and had their car successfully smog checked?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
this doesn't answer your question, but the comptech headers and CAI are both carb legal. so you should be able to pass smog with those additions. I believe the aem cai is carb legal as well.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
All CT and AEM products are CARB exempt, so you should have no worries installing CAI, headers, S/C, exhaust, etc.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:13 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oneilc
I have a 01' CL Type-S that I'd like to add some power too. I’m currently living in California, which has the strictest emission standards. I’m looking for any information on what kind of enhancements can be made which will allow me to pass the smog check.

Has anyone put on a supercharger, cold air intake, headers, or a similar enhancement and had their car successfully smog checked?
No smog check yet, but all my CompTech mods (i/sc/h/b-pipe/e) where installed as is out of the box which are CARB legal. I've been told there shouldn't be any issues on the day of reckoning (smog check). Knock on wood...
Old 06-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

I wish you luck with that.

Is there anyone out there who has actually gone through a smog check with these kind of mods?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Seeing that in Cali you need a smog check 5 years later for new cars, i don't think the 2nd gens are up for that, yet.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Seeing that in Cali you need a smog check 5 years later for new cars, i don't think the 2nd gens are up for that, yet.
Doesn't the smog checks depend on what county you live in? And based on that info, you figure out when you are suppose to get your car smogged?

I thought in so cal you have to get your car smogged every two years? In humboldt county, california you never have to get your car smogged after you buy it.

My integra gs-r was registered up there and in the 5 years I had it I never had to smog it.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slyraskal
Doesn't the smog checks depend on what county you live in? And based on that info, you figure out when you are suppose to get your car smogged?

I thought in so cal you have to get your car smogged every two years? In humboldt county, california you never have to get your car smogged after you buy it.

My integra gs-r was registered up there and in the 5 years I had it I never had to smog it.
I think NiteQwill is correct. On new cars, the first check is at 5 years with subsequent checks every two years thereafter.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allout
I think NiteQwill is correct. On new cars, the first check is at 5 years with subsequent checks every two years thereafter.

same here in tx you dont have to get it till 5 years..
Old 06-17-2004, 09:56 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
as long as teh parts are have a carb it's fine. My intake, and pullies doesn't have carb and i still passed...it jsut depends on the guy testing ur car. Carb is just for the visual...cause most generic intake or exhuast will pass a smog check...
Old 06-17-2004, 10:17 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Isn't the Gov trying to change this to No Smog test at all?? I heard on the news couple days ago. Hope we see this on the ballet sometime soon!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:20 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeS_boi
Isn't the Gov trying to change this to No Smog test at all?? I heard on the news couple days ago. Hope we see this on the ballet sometime soon!
I seem to remember something about this... car less than 6 yrs old could be exempt from smog checks.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

ok that makes sense, but i still feel it's based on county. Because my family's got 2 other cars that we've got to drive around town up in Eureka, an 84 buick and a 85 civic, both of which have never been smogged and have never been asked to be smogged by dmv.

So i still feel that it varies by county. But what NiteQwill stated sounds correct for so cal counties to help keep smog levels down especially from older cars.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slyraskal
ok that makes sense, but i still feel it's based on county. Because my family's got 2 other cars that we've got to drive around town up in Eureka, an 84 buick and a 85 civic, both of which have never been smogged and have never been asked to be smogged by dmv.

So i still feel that it varies by county. But what NiteQwill stated sounds correct for so cal counties to help keep smog levels down especially from older cars.
I think you're right also. There are some counties that only require a smog check when the vehicle is sold or transferred.

http://159.145.15.175/StdPage.asp?Bo...ck/doineed.htm
Old 06-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

I think you're right also. There are some counties that only require a smog check when the vehicle is sold or transferred.

http://159.145.15.175/StdPage.asp?Bo...ck/doineed.htm
http://159.145.15.175/ZIPAREA/Ziplookup.aspx this page allows you to enter your zip code and tells you what kind of a zone you live in and based on that info it tells you when you have to get your car smogged...

in addition, sorry to have hijacked this thread oneilc. didn't mean to change topics. But i figure it's useful information since we are talking about state emissions.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes...

Originally Posted by TypeS_boi

There was just some banter about the governer changing the law to 6-years in exchange for an increase in yearly smog fees.

LINK: http://ktla.trb.com/news/local/la-me...ll=ktla-news-1

Smog Check Change Sought

Governor wants to extend the new-car exemption for two years and double the annual $6 fee to help pay for an antipollution program.

By Miguel Bustillo
Times Staff Writer

June 16, 2004

New car owners would not have to take their vehicles in for a smog check for six years under a proposal by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, although, as part of the bargain, they would be charged twice as much in annual air pollution fees.

The governor's proposal would add two years to the current four-year smog check exemption for new cars. But in exchange, owners would have to pay $12 annually to the state during those six years — twice the current $6 exemption fee. Motorists would still be required to obtain smog checks on their vehicles every other year afterward.

And, who pays when the car doesn't pass by much. I don't know of any provision that lets someone "slide" if the car blows a number ABOVE an exact amount for the car and year:

Brian Maas, government affairs director for the California Motor Car Dealers Assn., said, "You can make a good case that consumers are getting a good deal, and it's not really going to hurt the environment.

"Most new cars pass the smog check anyway. And even if a newer Toyota Camry were to fail, it's not going to fail by much."

CARB testing, depnding on the component, requires some validation from a testing lab. In some cases, they will let a vendor use the results from an existing platform if the new platform is basically identical.

IMO, if they did smog checks with cars at WOT, there might be a lot of modded cars that wouldn't pass the emissions check.

One of the things that I wondered about was: OTOH, it's nice to save the money of a smog check. OTOH, if you have a factory damaged CAT that is "marginal", you don't get a check during the initial factory warranty period (the ECU will know when it is cooked, but won’t know if it is marginal). I'd have to look at my warranty book again, but it is interesting that the dealers are behind this proposal. Since they make money doing smog check -- well, a number of them sure seem to do it -- it seems strange that they would support a bill that takes money out of their pocket. Cynical thinking perhaps, but I do believe people work in their self-interest. If one could extend the smog check out far enough, it would let the dealer charge folks WITHOUT extended warranties for all kind of juicy stuff. They would be off the hook. A possible mixed-blessing.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oneilc
I wish you luck with that.

Is there anyone out there who has actually gone through a smog check with these kind of mods?

I'd like to see the actual numbers from a dead stock CLS with xxx miles and one that has various mods.

Stock vs. I/H
Stock vs. I/H//SC/Etc

Someone mentioned how smog guys can be "easy" and let things pass. Well, I've met a few that were ruthless with minor visual changes *and* the car blew numbers that were MUCH better than stock.

Make sure every part has a stinking CARB # on it. At least it isn't a SURE BUST.

LINK: http://www.intendedacceleration.com/legal_warranty.html

AND

Aftermarket parts manufacturers who make nonstock performance parts for engines, the fuel, ignition or exhaust systems must apply for special certification for any parts they want to sell as being emissions-legal. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has been the leading government body in this respect, so most submit their proposals to CARB.

First, they must submit detailed proof in the form of laboratory dyno test that document their part does not have an adverse effect on exhaust emissions. These tests are very expensive and must conform with specified test procedures. CARB then reviews the data and may or may not ask for additional information and/or testing. If the product meets CARB's criteria, CARB issues an "executive order" (EO) number (also called an "exemption" number) certifying that the part is in compliance with the applicable clean air rules.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kevin79925
same here in tx you dont have to get it till 5 years..
It also depends on which county you live in. Only a few are even required to do them.