CAL no laser jammer link -- VC28150. Also link to Bimmer page

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001 | 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

CAL no laser jammer link -- VC28150. Also link to Bimmer page

Here is the link to the California Vehicle code that prohibits laser jammers (and other jammers):

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc28150.htm

Here is a pretty good link to a Bimmer M5 page with info on laser jammers -- it is current (May 2001).

http://www.bmwm5.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004329.html

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-02-2001 | 01:17 PM
Race Director

First of all, laser will not be fully adopted by the State's Police/Hwy Patrol/Trooper because laser cannot be used while moving. A lot of states depend on their police force to be moving all over the state, in fact, most states are short on cruisers especially during nighttime. Therefore radar will always be the weapon of choice.

Why would a small police force (10 squad cars all outfitted with 10 Ka radar guns) switch to expensive lasers? Cops don't care about people with radar detectors. Next time you're driving on the freeway, see how few people really have radar detectors. And a few of those aren't really speeding either. I don't think the cops are fed up with speeders using radar detectors so they look for another method (laser). They know they can still catch radar detectors users using radar.

There are just too many places where laser cannot be used right now. A cop traveling in the slow lane cannot clock an approaching speeder in the left lane coming up from behind him. Radar can. A cop cannot park on the freeway on-ramp, and shoot cars from behind as they pass underneath the bridge. Laser certainly can. Everytime I seen laser near this area, they were on the bridge directly over the freeway or in the median between the roads. Rolling laser doesn't exist. Take this situation. Traffic is sem-heaving and people are moving at 65-70 with speeders going 80+. The road is completely straight and the median/breakdown lane is narrow. Laser is difficult to use here because there is nowhere to stop safely and if they did clock someone, trying to merge into traffic to catch up to the 85mph speeder from a stop in heavy traffic would be difficult. Not worth it.

Laser typically has to be used outside the police car. What are they going to do in MN, MA, WI, ND, MI, NY, etc. in the winter time when it's hardly ever a good time to stand around outside? They still need radar. What are they going to do in WA, FL, LA where it rains all the time?

Laser cannot shoot thru the bushes. Radar can. Have you ever tried aiming a weapon for a long period of time? It's gets tiring after awhile. A cop is going to get tried of aiming after a short time. Long gone will be the days of resting back in your chair with your head back, flip on the radar, and wait for something to trip the lock.

The point is to make money and stop as many cars in an hour as you can (ala photo radar). Laser is too slow and cops can't write tickets fast enough using laser only. If they change laser concepts and functionality and usage, maybe it will be adopted faster and more widespread.

If laser never gets adopted wholesale, the price is going to stay high and out of the reach of most city budgets. It's not easy to use laser at night and there are a lot of difficult to detect cars (black) and lots of cars/states with no front license plate.

Radar never misses. The beam is so wide it will catch you. If I am going 135mph down the toll road, it is possible that the distance can be short enough that the cops does not get a lock on me with laser or can't get a reading for some reason. What does the cops do that sees me obviously speeding by but doesn't get a reading because I was moving too fast?

No longer are radar guns plagued with all the problems of their now retired X-band cousins. Radar can now pick out the fastest speeder instead of the closest/strongest signal. Radar can be set to show speed in a particular lane, too. Radar has judicial notice and laser does not. Right now laser is just too expensive for police departments to adopt wholesale. I would love for the police to adopt a laser only policy. All of my tickets have been with radar and instant on radar in a rolling situation is my most deadly enemy. I would love to see it go away for a stationary laser trap where now I can depend on braking cars to give them away.

My 2 cents.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-03-2001 | 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

You didn't read my story about my friend who got pulled over by a "laser enforcement team".

These guys were hiding in the bushes and nabbed 15 people for speeding in Northern San Diego. My friend just got his wife's car impounded for not having a current drivers license. The police stopped all of the cars at the end a long road, and one officer on radio, walked to each car and checked the plate and handed out a ticket depending on what speed the "good squad reported".

I have some influential friends, and they contribute to a police department that I will not name. They asked for laser guns NOT radar guns.

Ken, a lot of your info is getting dated very quickly (as with most technology).

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:36 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
You didn't read my story about my friend who got pulled over by a "laser enforcement team".

These guys were hiding in the bushes and nabbed 15 people for speeding in Northern San Diego. My friend just got his wife's car impounded for not having a current drivers license. The police stopped all of the cars at the end a long road, and one officer on radio, walked to each car and checked the plate and handed out a ticket depending on what speed the "good squad reported".

I have some influential friends, and they contribute to a police department that I will not name. They asked for laser guns NOT radar guns.

Ken, a lot of your info is getting dated very quickly (as with most technology).

</font>
No I believe you. They've been having those laser parties around here too. But those parties don't last long, they can't sustain the police department revenue generation with those parties. They have to pack up and go home after several hours of work. They still need their radars I think for the heavy work. That's like having a police department full of unmarked cars or SWAT team guys only and no regular cops. If you notice, ALL PDs have radar, not all will have laser.....yet. They have money in San Diego and La Jolla for laser and street cameras and all the cool stuff. They just don't have that kind of money in most other places of the country. We'll see in a few years.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-03-2001 | 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
No I believe you. They've been having those laser parties around here too. But those parties don't last long, they can't sustain the police department revenue generation with those parties. They have to pack up and go home after several hours of work. They still need their radars I think for the heavy work. That's like having a police department full of unmarked cars or SWAT team guys only and no regular cops. If you notice, ALL PDs have radar, not all will have laser.....yet. They have money in San Diego and La Jolla for laser and street cameras and all the cool stuff. They just don't have that kind of money in most other places of the country. We'll see in a few years.

</font>

Ken, I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI