CAI w/ Bypass TESTED! IT REALLY W O R K S!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 04:08 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI w/ Bypass TESTED! IT REALLY W O R K S!

Well it was pouring in Houston today. I had to drive to downtown Houston in BAD rain! In part of I-1o, it was flooded on the freeway.... The water was kinda high...

I covered the sidewall of the tires, and kinda 1 inch up the rims... with the current my car made, I am sure the filter was in the water.... At first I was like, SHOOT! Well I had no choice, but to rolled through the water with the gas pedal let go...

Well after 20sec in the water (seems like an hour), I got out the water SAFE! and then through out the whole trip home, it was in BAD rain with hail! Well I got home safe!

I poped the hood, and where the intake area at was totally dry! Wow, I am totally happy with the CAI, and just suprised that it's that safe! Yall should go out and feel free to drive in the rain!

Just wanna share this with yall!

------------------
Edward
99TL, 01 CLP with stuff.
Houston(Sugarland),TX
Old 03-15-2001, 04:11 AM
Who's Your Daddy

Damn! that rain was bad today...the wind was pushing my car like a matchbox...Good Story..glad i installed my bypass now

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 03-15-2001, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Now ya just have to watch out for those hail storms. I don't know how often you guys get those but they are nasty. I was on a trip to Dallas when one of those hail storms hit and they actually dented the rent a car!!!
Good luck with the cai, thanks for the info...

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-15-2001, 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by laser1180:
Well it was pouring in Houston today. I had to drive to downtown Houston in BAD rain! In part of I-1o, it was flooded on the freeway.... The water was kinda high...

I covered the sidewall of the tires, and kinda 1 inch up the rims... with the current my car made, I am sure the filter was in the water.... At first I was like, SHOOT! Well I had no choice, but to rolled through the water with the gas pedal let go...

Well after 20sec in the water (seems like an hour), I got out the water SAFE! and then through out the whole trip home, it was in BAD rain with hail! Well I got home safe!

I poped the hood, and where the intake area at was totally dry! Wow, I am totally happy with the CAI, and just suprised that it's that safe! Yall should go out and feel free to drive in the rain!

Just wanna share this with yall!

</font>
Sorry, to sound dense. But...

1. Are you saying that the water was at the top of your wheels?

2. If the water was that high, are you saying that the air intake was dry. (The actual air filter near the bottom of the car.) If the area around the intake is dry, it seems like you are saying that no water got near it *and* if that is the case, how did the Air Bypass help?

3. OR, are you saying that the actual air intake is dry?

I talked to one of the members about an AEM install and asked if the unit would get soaked if he had to drive through a flooded intersection. He said he thought so.

I would like to add an CAI, but want the bypass valve. Stories like yours are very useful, I'd just apreciate a bit more clarification...

Finally, where did you place your air bypass valve.

(BTW -- If the filter element is dirty from the water [the water gets real dirty around here], when do you plan to clean it or do you plan on cleaning it?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • 14.8lb 17x8" SSR Competition rims on the way
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-15-2001, 10:41 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

If you guys w3ould take a second to look where the K&N filter is positioned you will see that the only way it is going to get wet is if the car is submerged! Driving through puddles and splashing inch deep water will no get the filter wet. Driving through a carwash with an undercarriage spray will not get the filter wet. It sits in a totally enclosed (probably too enclosed for maximum performance) cubby that is well protected from everything.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next